Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Self_Control_Me
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 311034
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2011 STi
DGM

Talking long cold crank/start

maybe someone will help me. I have a 2011 sti with the following tuned in for 91 octane:

-dw65c
-id1000's
-aem cai
-process west tmic
-cobb xle bpv
-invidia catless dp
-perrin exhaust
-gs 3 port ebcs

i am getting ready to go back and get blouch 20g tuned in.

every since i installed the injectors and fuel pump i've had cold start issues. i'll turn it over and it will crank a long time until finally working up to being started. i kind of plan for it to do that so i'll give gas and it will start funny and pop a bit.

is it hard to dial in the cold crank table for the idc with these injectors,?fuel pump and 91 octane? is it not that odd that the car is starting like this? these are my questions.

thanks in advance
Self_Control_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
be0tch
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 66206
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi

Ever since installing a larger fuel pump a few months ago, I've noticed slightly longer crank times on cold start. From outside the car I can hear the engine crank until there's a bit of a "pshh-swish" noise that seems to be the pump gargling up some fuel into the motor.

I haven't experienced any adverse effect (even in cold weather) of the longer crank time so far.
be0tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Self_Control_Me
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 STi
DGM

I haven't experienced any adverse effect (even in cold weather) of the longer crank time so far.[/quote]

it's not just cold weather, it's hot weather too. it's when the engine has cooled back to ambient and been restarted. when it has been started and warmed to operating temp, then turned off, then the restart is like normal. it's just when it has cooled back down to ambient that it cranks long.

thats kinda why i mentioned the crank table because the injector duty cycle is determined based off the coolant temp, i believe. makes me wonder is the lower temp idc is set too high or something of that nature.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Self_Control_Me
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 STi
DGM

i'll bet i need to check my fuel pressure when it has set a while it may be losing pressure. i'll look for how to check it.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
be0tch
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 66206
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi

I know that cold start doesn't mean cold weather, I'm just saying that cold weather sometimes makes cranking issues worse and mine haven't gotten any worse as it got colder.

I'm interested in finding out also - if its a setting somewhere I would like to iron mine out as well.

Anybody know about this?
be0tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
Self_Control_Me
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 STi
DGM

yea, i mean it doesnt seem that big of deal but it bugs the heck outta my ocd-self, i'm going to buy a cheap gauge to put in the fuel line and see if it drops as it sits.

if it does drop i dont know where to look next, the lines not leaking.

if it doesnt drop, im not sure which way the cold crank table needs to go, whether higher idc or lower at the low temp range.