Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
arod15
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 304906
Vehicle:
2015 STI
CWP

Default Stage 3 with bulletproof tmic mod?

Anyone running stage 3 with the bulletproof tmic mod on a 2008+ wrx? I have a 2011 wrx with catted dp, catback exhaust, and cobb sf intake running torqued performance stage 2. I really only intend to ever DD my car with random spirited runs and limited WOT. Doubt I'll track/race/autox the car anytime soon. Would definitely like some more power even if its just for everyday driving.

I plan on running the torqued performance stage 3 which is:
-DP
-aftermarket intercooler
-EBCS

Recommended:
-upgraded fuel pump
-1 step colder plugs

So, would the stock "upgraded" intercooler suffice? Or do I really need an aftermarket top mount? I've already emailed Eric to get his opinion, but I'd like anyone with personal experience or others with thoughts. Also, thoughts on the fuel pump and colder plugs? Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
arod15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
pet3r
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 283134
Vehicle:
2008 STi AW
550whp - 530wtq

I think it's best to get a new intercooler even at stage 2. Erics maps are great, and will reach 19-20psi on the stage 3 maps. Also you'll want a new BPV too so you can hold that extra boost.
pet3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
SeeeeeYa
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 129681
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Ltd CVT
GBP

The OEM WRX TMIC is the best DD intercooler you can have... once it is fitted with the BulletProof Mod. There is plenty of evidence this is fact. This IC heatsoaks less than any other TMIC and modded it holds any boost you can throw at it.

Were you going to build a race car, or even going for the most from almost any turbo, a good aftermarket TMIC like the Process West will work better because of its lower internal resistance (allows an extra psi of boost) and larger core. But there are BP Modded cars doing track duty successfully in the heat of the CA desert without issue. Don't believe all the hype.

The question you have to ask yourself is, is one extra psi of boost worth the BIG bucks, at the cost of significantly increased heatsoak?

Another thing not generally considered, and while not as obviously evident in a large top mount intercooler, as opposed to a front mount, is the fact there is a difference in boost response... the smaller the core the sharper the response. This is one reason some go to water cooled intercoolers. To sum it up, except for the obvious Achilles Heel of the endtanks separating on them the LGT and 08+ WRX TMIC is the smallest, most efficient, lowest thermal mass intercooler you can get. And once BP Modded, at very low cost, it has zero downsides.

Go here for more details: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...rx-158870.html

Go here for other options: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ts-189608.html

Last edited by SeeeeeYa; 08-07-2012 at 06:53 AM.
SeeeeeYa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
SeeeeeYa
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 129681
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Ltd CVT
GBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet3r View Post
I think it's best to get a new intercooler even at stage 2. Erics maps are great, and will reach 19-20psi on the stage 3 maps. Also you'll want a new BPV too so you can hold that extra boost.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...6+cent+bov+mod

Here is another time-tested mod that costs virtually nothing, and provides OEM reliability with all the benefits of the best aftermarket BPV. I've used it on my own cars since 2005 with excellent success... including with an aftermarket turbo. Sixteen cents... but can cost nothing to do but maybe an hour of your time.

The first time you do this mod you notice the improvement in the way the car drives. Everything works better. The OEM BPV is, after all, always open until told to close, thus there is always that time frame where no boost can build. But, once modded, your fine OEM stocker is always closed until told to open! The benefits aren't difficult to imagine.

This mod goes perfectly with any stage of tune, but especially fits the mindset of the OP... IMHO.
SeeeeeYa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
PROcede
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 293500
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
11' WiderBody Hatch
WRB

Really need the spark plugs and fuel pump bro. I've been running stage 3 for about 5k miles and it's been great. Honestly if Eric lists something in his map notes you should really listen to them since you are running HIS maps on the car. I briefly went stage 3 without plugs and Eric told me for added security he would feel more comfortable if i had the one step colders in.
PROcede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
arod15
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 304906
Vehicle:
2015 STI
CWP

Awesome, thanks for the replies. The tmic is really the only expensive piece of equipment for the stage 3 upgrade it seems. So essentially it sounds like the main reason to upgrade from the stock tmic is the fact that it can't hold enough boost due to the plastic end tanks? Not the fact that it does not cool as well. Especially since I'm just DDing, the bulletproof mod sounds right up my alley. Now I just need to read into fuel pumps.
arod15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
PROcede
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 293500
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
11' WiderBody Hatch
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod15
Awesome, thanks for the replies. The tmic is really the only expensive piece of equipment for the stage 3 upgrade it seems. So essentially it sounds like the main reason to upgrade from the stock tmic is the fact that it can't hold enough boost due to the plastic end tanks? Not the fact that it does not cool as well. Especially since I'm just DDing, the bulletproof mod sounds right up my alley. Now I just need to read into fuel pumps.
Dw65c is a great pump and has been on my car for the past 9k miles. No issues and drops right in.
PROcede is offline   Reply With Quote