Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #26
rjp98outlook
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 59918

Hey, I have this same noise, only under light load/accelleration and only around 2500-3000 RPM. Kind of a hollow low knock. Either stepping on the gas or letting up makes it go away. Dealer is just about to replace pistons 2 and 4 under waranty. What was your outcome?
Thanks
rjp98outlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 PM   #27
fstipko
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 153869
Default Dons Sooby Doo

I had 3 subies with the same problem of engine ticking sounds similar to valves clicking. My 1999, 2002, and now my 2004 has the same problem. Each time I took the car to the dealership, they said it was a normal sound, not to worry. Well, I did worry after my 2002 Outback clicking noises became so loud it sounded like a diesel and the sound would not go away after warm-up. Went back to the dealer and also called the Main Service support and they said the belt tensioner was bad. They replaced it but the noise continued. They factory REP agreed that the engine should be torn down to find the problem. Problem was diagnosed as an undersized piston that was slapping and they replaced the short block, which corrected the problem. Now I'm wondering if my 2004 will have the same problem? Although the car only had 38,500 miles on it and over the 3-year warranty, they replaced the short block under the 5-year 60,000 mile warranty --after some lengthy discussions about the warranty. Subaru knows about this problem for years and for some reason they keep making the same 2.5 liter engine without any revisions. Needless to say, I am now in the market for another car but will really have to think twice about buying another Subaru 2.5 engine in it. I don't know if the 6 cylinder engines also have the same problems. Thanks for reading this.
fstipko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:53 AM   #28
KootenayWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 119134
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
04 Fxt
02 wrxwgn

02 wrx , belt tensoner replaced.
KootenayWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:18 AM   #29
Varravvan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 153887
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2002 Forester

<deleted>

Last edited by Varravvan; 07-14-2007 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Grammar
Varravvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:03 AM   #30
Varravvan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 153887
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2002 Forester

I have 30,000 km on my 2002 Forester (manual tranny). About a month ago I started hearing a similar noise. It appears in a minute or so after starting the cold engine when RPMs begin to drop. Even when the engine is warm, it appears every time RMPs drop below 2000 (especially when I start driving in 1st gear). I suspect that I have the same problem that plagued many other Subarus - timing belt tensioner. I called a dealership, they told me that they would charge me $97 + tax for diagnostics and whatever it will cost for repair. I did not ask for a quote to fix or replace the god damn tensioner, but I suspect that it can easily cost me $500 if I do it there. Unfortunately, the car is no longer on warranty (I bought it 6 years ago) and I don't have time to do it myself. Can anyone recommend a good garage in Seattle area where I could fix it without paying a crazy amount?
Varravvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:20 AM   #31
Sudafed
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 70090
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 2.5 RS
Silver

for the whole piston slap issue, its normal when cold.

Quote:
Subaru knows about this problem for years and for some reason they keep making the same 2.5 liter engine without any revisions.
i assure you its not the same engine, and as i said before the noise when cold is normal. its a lower profile piston which lets it wobble sometimes but when everything warms up it usually goes away, if not then you replace the pistons (usually 2 and 4) and the block if needed.
Sudafed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:49 PM   #32
Horrido
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 31542
Default Piston slap and other woes

Well this is my first post. I am the proud owner of an 06 Sti with 37000 miles on the odometer. A few days ago, that same knock made its ugly appearance upon first start up in the morning. Overnight temps are probably into the high 50's at the lowest. I notice if the motor is slowly brought up to 2200 RPM the noise goes away completely. By the time I drive two blocks and the motor has come up to barely-above-ambient temperature, the noise abates. MY GOD............I thought the thing had let go a rod bearing; shades of my old Formula Vee days. At any rate, I am a bit confused. Is this the timing belt tensioner or is it the overly oval piston thing???

I am using Mobil 1 10W30 and change it every 3 to 4000 miles. OEM oil filter.

I am in Los Angeles and would like to know of a reputable shop in the Los Angeles Area. From what I've seen of the dealerships so far, I am not impressed.

Thanks folks,
Horrido
Horrido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #33
Fiero
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 179963
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Zebra Stripe Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrido View Post
Well this is my first post. I am the proud owner of an 06 Sti with 37000 miles on the odometer. A few days ago, that same knock made its ugly appearance upon first start up in the morning. Overnight temps are probably into the high 50's at the lowest. I notice if the motor is slowly brought up to 2200 RPM the noise goes away completely. By the time I drive two blocks and the motor has come up to barely-above-ambient temperature, the noise abates. MY GOD............I thought the thing had let go a rod bearing; shades of my old Formula Vee days. At any rate, I am a bit confused. Is this the timing belt tensioner or is it the overly oval piston thing???

I am in Los Angeles and would like to know of a reputable shop in the Los Angeles Area. From what I've seen of the dealerships so far, I am not impressed.

Thanks folks,
Horrido
I have the same noise at idle and low RPMS: it makes a ticking noise audible from the drivers seat. I checked for vibrations with a long screw driver as well, with no luck. I think I might try jacking up the car and checking a bit more thoroughly.

I'd be interested in finding a shop who has some experience with this problem. I gave Raffi Motors-Subaru in the South Bay a call but they didn't want to work on it and I don't have much confidence in dealers.

If it's something as easy as a timing belt tensioner I might just do the work myself. If I do, I'll post pictures.
Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #34
Kean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25187
Vehicle:
2020 Forester
2010 Challenger R/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrido View Post

Thanks folks,
Horrido
....if the car is an '06 and you only have 37k miles on it, I would opt to take it to a dealer under warranty first.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote