Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 30, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
matdiot
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 95389
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
05 STi, 320 WHP
Stealth Black w/gold BBS

Default HELP..ACT 6 puck or F1 6 puck clutch disc?

Hey guys, I am for sure getting a new clutch kit very soon because my current exedy one is slipping badly on my 05 sti. I have for sure getting the Heavy Duty ACT pressure plate, but I am torn between the ACT sprung 6 puck disc and the F1 sprung 6 puck disc. Reason being is because the kit with the F1 on ebay is $100 cheaper...I would just like a some of your opinions on each disc and if they are made out of different material. I know the F1 disc is ceramic but I am not sure what the ACT 6 puck disc pads are primarily made of. If you want the ebay link, def let me know....thanks guys.
matdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
ACTman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 113222

Not to bag on anyone's product, but I think there is a significant difference in the strength and quality of the center section of the disc. I am not familiar with which friction material is on the F1 clutch, but we have tested most of the different brand pucks. First things first though, why a puck to begin with? Are you making over 500ftlbs of torque? Drag racing? What's the reason for such an aggressive clutch? PM if you would like more information about ACT product.
ACTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
DS1
Vendor

Member#: 111780
Chapter/Region: MWSOC

^^ He's right, at 320whp you really don't need a 6 puck clutch. An Exedy Stage 1 would do you just fine and not sacrifice your drivability.

-Dylan @ DS1
DS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
ACTman
Scooby Newbie

But an ACT street HDSS would be even better! Holds more power, better durability, last longer...

Did I mention that I work at ACT? LOL!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
DS1
Vendor

I'd debate those but hey ya gotta sell what pays the bills

-Dylan @ DS1
Old 03-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
ACTman
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS1 Motorsports View Post
I'd debate those but hey ya gotta sell what pays the bills

-Dylan @ DS1
If you have time I'll give you a call so we can "debate" (more like discuss tech). I think it would be fun and informative. Doing so here would be too "motivated" as you indicated and of course inappropriate. Trust me, I am pretty harmless. Are you game?

To others, sorry for the OT detour.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
matdiot
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 95389
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
05 STi, 320 WHP
Stealth Black w/gold BBS

yea lets talk because I blew out that exedy stage 1 within a year and it slips all the time now even up hills and i cannot punch it at all. That is why I need a stronger pressure plate like ACT HD and a 6 puck disc. I also do autocross frequently and am pushing near the 400ft/lbs mark for torque. Ill PM my cell number to you.
matdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
DS1
Vendor

ACTman- I'll PM you

-Dylan @ DS1
Old 03-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
ACTman
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matdiot View Post
yea lets talk because I blew out that exedy stage 1 within a year and it slips all the time now even up hills and i cannot punch it at all. That is why I need a stronger pressure plate like ACT HD and a 6 puck disc. I also do autocross frequently and am pushing near the 400ft/lbs mark for torque. Ill PM my cell number to you.
I will give you a call. If the clutch is slipping that bad it is no doubt because the disc has worn too thin and there is just insufficient clamp load because the pressure plate is out of it's usable working range. That doesn't mean you need a real crazy clutch. It may just mean you need a disc that lasts longer or can take more abuse (or possibly change driving habits).

If the pressure plate is in good shape (it's probably cooked though) then you might even be able to get off cheap and just change the disc. Of course that is a lot of labor to gamble on that without having the pressure plate tested, etc. But if you are already at 400ftlbs then I estimate you are pushing the limits a bit for with the Exedy stage 1.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
Belizeboy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 180057

clutchcityonline.com got some good clutches and definitely think the act clutch i better than f1
i got a 93 impreza and lately jus i fell like putting a 6 or 4 puck act clutch on it
Belizeboy is offline   Reply With Quote