Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
pao8511
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 106329
Default Is There A Difference In Suspensions With Different Models

Someone Told Me That The Bug Eye Wrx Has A Better Suspension That The New Model (bigger Light) Wrx. How Correct Is That? If There Is A Difference Can Someone Please Tell Me What That Difference Is?
pao8511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #2
Handsdown
Scooby Guru

Member#: 29355
Chapter/Region: NWIC

not exactly better, but the strut tops are different on the 04-on so the strut tops must be used for that particular year.

in terms of better... well i really don't think there's too much advantage one over the other. but people should feel free to chime in with more opinion or fact because i really don't know if one is better than the other or not.
Handsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
DrBiggly
Scooby Guru

Member#: 11482
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Acute Stickeritis

Personally I think the valving is better on the newer WRXs; the struts feel a bit beefier. As for the bugeyes, I can't think of anything that is ever considered "better" on those years that wasn't completely subjective.

-Biggly
DrBiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
UkNuck
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21808
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
02 GroceryGettAr
Nonemore Black

... unless "Someone" was just referring to the larger (20mm) rear sway bar found on 02/early 03 WRX sedans
UkNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
AZSube
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38028
Vehicle:
02 WRX Wagon
Silver

Struts were revalved when the top hats were changed in '04. The non-bugeyes supposedly feel better planted. The sedan rear sway was larger (20mm) on 02 and 03 sedans. The fronts have remained unchanged structurally but I am sure were revalved when the rears changed.
AZSube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
daprez
Visiting NASIOC Timeout

Member#: 105645
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
WRBP

I believe the 06 WRX has aluminum control arms.
daprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:03 AM   #7
pao8511
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 106329
Default Thanks For The Info Guys

Thanks for the info guys. It seems to me that if the older impreza has a better suspension than the newer models, then Subaru has taken a backward step......something I doubt very much.
pao8511 is offline   Reply With Quote