Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
BMXspears
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 79339
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2002 EJ257 6spd WRX
Midnight Black

Default Accessories won't turn off...

Swapped an 04 Sti motor into my 02 wrx including all wiring. Now, windshield wipers, stereo, and compass turn on without keys in ignition. Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks.
BMXspears is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2010, 05:31 AM   #2
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

You have tied those accessories to continuous power. They need to be tied to power that is controlled by ignition switch.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
BMXspears
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 EJ257 6spd WRX
Midnight Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar4 View Post
You have tied those accessories to continuous power. They need to be tied to power that is controlled by ignition switch.
I figured this. The weird thing is, the only part i had to rewire was the windshield wipers...
Old 07-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Well the park switch is tied to continuous power so if the other things are tied to that then it would explain what you said.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:32 PM   #5
BMXspears
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 EJ257 6spd WRX
Midnight Black

I would like to bring this back from the dead. I "solved" this problem by hooking my multimeter up to my battery and removing fuses one at a time until the reading dropped. When I removed fuse No. 1 in the Main Fuse Box (under the hood), the reading dropped. This circuit goes directly to the Rear Defogger relay.

The light on the defogger switch doesn't illuminate when pressed. However, you can hear the relay engage and disengage when the button is pressed.

The rear window does not heat up either.

Looking at the power supply routing diagram, I can't see anywhere the defogger is hooked up to the same circuit or why it would it affect these other accessories. In addition, I can hear the relay click only when the key is in the ignition.

Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Look on the underside of the fuse panel in the engine compartment and check for signs of corrosion. A number of folks have had trouble with that. You might also check the trailer harness connector for the same thing.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #7
BMXspears
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 EJ257 6spd WRX
Midnight Black

I ended up replacing my front wiring harness to make my jdm headlights more plug and play. At the time of the original swap I opted to gut and replace parts of the STI harness to make it more "factory" as well as install my 02 wrx headlight wiring. I should have just cut off and swapped plug since it only requires merging for the headlights, radiator fans and the drivers side fog light.

Anyways, it seemed like my problem was caused by using the WRX Highbeam relay in place of the STI HID relay. They have a different initial position, and I was constantly grounding the system. Still not sure why the defroster circuit was involved, but at this point this problem is solved AND my defroster works.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Good to hear you solved the problem, that is main goal. From what you stated about the problem and solving it leaves me scratching my head a little. Your statement about the power for the defroster fuse power is correct but it is a separate circuit from the other things you mentioned that were still getting power to them with the ignition turned OFF. The two separate circuits do run through the dash fuse panel and what makes the most sense to me is there was a bridged connection between the two circuits which would bypass the ignition switch control for those other areas you mentioned getting power to them. As for the defroster problem, I can only think you had a bad power connection somewhere (possibly relay contacts) that caused that problem.