Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-07-2005, 02:11 AM   #1
jamba
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 79759
Vehicle:
03 Baja
Silver

Question I need an expert opinion!!

So here's my situation. I just put a 2" spring lift and a 2" body lift on my 03 baja (4eat). then I had to go with the bigger tires, so I went with 225/70-16s, which is about 6% bigger than stock. I'm not use to an auto tranny so I really underestimated how much the gearing would be affected. with a manual, there wouldn't be a problem... but it turns out I'm an idiot

for the past 2 days I've been trying out driving in 3rd grear during city driving (and putting it in "drive" when I get on the freeway). This seems to be helping to keep the rpm where it should be (between 2800 and 3200) rather than at 2200 at 40mph.

Here's my question: Is this bad for the tranny or anything else, how much am I damaging the car by doing this? Do you have any suggestions or recommendations?

PS- Try to resist the temptation to recommend smaller tires Captain Insight. It really, rreeaally looks good like this, and it's an extra inch of ground clearance for trail driving.

thanks
jack
jamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 02:35 AM   #2
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Member#: 60082
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Well, it doesn't affect anything other than torque. Since it's an auto, I think it's just a matter of getting used to it again. You'll just run at a little lower rpm, that's all. Heck, your gas milage may improve if there isn't too much stop and go.

I'm curious why you don't like the car running at a lower rpm? I understand liking a little more "get up and go" by running it a little higher, but a little mash of the gas will kick it down anyways.

Get used to it, and enjoy your off-roader

I guess if it's such a hugh problem, you could always change the gearing...if there's something available for it. It could be good for off-roading and towing too.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 03:42 AM   #3
2k4STi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 80532
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2014 BRZ
DGM

driving in 3rd shouldn't damage the tranny. I don't see why you just don't enjoy driving normal, it shouldn't be that much of a difference. I went from a 285 tire to a 315 tire, and the rpm problem didn't bug me unless i was really trying to get on the highway. You could regear... wouldn't be worth it IMO because you would have to replace the front and rear gears (pricey). If it really bugs you perhaps a programmer could help pinpoint when your automatic tranny shifts. Sorry if i'm just throwing out ideas, baja's are new to me.

kyle.
2k4STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 06:38 AM   #4
jamba
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
03 Baja
Silver

thanks for the feedback, guys, keep it coming.

It's nice to hear that others wouldn't think it would make that much difference either, but it does. The only reason it bothers me is that it is running too low... like 2100 rpm at 45 mph ... I'm no expert but that can't be good. And it also seems to have problems deciding what gear to be in when I'm going below 50 in "drive"... it starts jerking just a little. It doesn't do that in 3rd though.

and actually I've lost about 3mpg... I think because I'm having to use at least the same amount or more of throttle pressure to maintain lower speeds.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
2k4STi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 BRZ
DGM

how is acceleration up hills? did you change rims and tires or just tires? If anyone offered a programmer for a baja that would be your best bet, what do you know about that?

When i have lifted cars in the past, a 3m.p.g. loss is not bad, but how different is your tire size. you have a 225 now, what was your old tire size?
Old 05-08-2005, 01:10 AM   #6
jamba
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
03 Baja
Silver

It does ok up hill, I put on headers, catback, and perfectpower chip. the oem size is 225/60-16, I put on 225/70-16 (same rims), it's about a 6% increase.

good idea with the programmer for the etu. I read that someone was trying to do that with the perfectpower chip, but I have no idea how that would work, and the folks that I've talked with said "well it could work, we would have to do some experimenting". unfortunately, their shop is about 800 miles away.

Do you know anyone I could talk to?
thanks
jack
Old 05-08-2005, 01:49 AM   #7
2k4STi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 BRZ
DGM

Did you drive around on the lift with your stock tires for a while, or change them immediatly when you got the lift. I really do not see how a 6% change would slow you down much if at all. Especially with the power mod you have... Hopefully someone else will chime in!!
Old 05-09-2005, 12:04 AM   #8
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Member#: 60082
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

I understand it's "noticable" because you're used to how the car felt before you increased the tire size. However, you'll get used to it.

As well, I wouldn't worry about the shifting. It's set up for the othe size of tire, but nothing bad will come from the slight change. If it kicks up and down a lot, you're adding more wear and tear. A different driving style may fix it or aviod speeds that run in that magic shift spot. If reprogramming is possible, that may work very well for adjusting the tranny to the tire size.

A larger tire and lower mpg is expected as you have a little more rotating mass and a little less torque to work with for get up and go. Around the city, it would go down. On long highway trips, however, I'd think it might improve slightly with the lower rpm, if the throttle doesn't need to be depressed too much more where it would offset the gain from the lower rpm. Even the tire choice has a factor. Some tires have a higher rolling friction and decrease gas milage. I've heard this about the Traction T/A's, a few mpg lower just by tire.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:34 AM   #9
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

...it isn't just the size difference, it is the weight and where the weight is that is affecting the performance....further from the center of the hub = more power to spin it up(and down, too)

...also, AFAIK, putting the trans in '3' just keeps it from upshifting into 4th, so no worries there.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:00 AM   #10
jamba
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
03 Baja
Silver

thanks Scotty, good to know.