Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
pskelly
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 302587
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
Silver

Default CEL troubleshooting

Hello all,
I recently purchased a 2004 wrx sti. It has a COBB Sri, Invidia down pipe, RSR cat back(with stock cat) and some sort of heavy duty clutch. I know this is going to sound like a horror story but I am doing my best to make the best of it and your help and advice would be greatly beneficial. I purchased this car from Maryland and had it shipped to Florida where I live. I was told that it was stock and all of the pictures showed it stock looking. As previously stated it is not...A stock looking muffler was fitted to the rear axel and the RSR piece was in the trunk. When the car got to me it had a CEL for the bank 1 O2 sensor not responding. So I replaced this and had an oil change and it was good for about a week. Next I got 3 for cylinders 1,2,3 misfires. So I changed all 4 plugs and it was good for about a week. Today I got the stock looking muffler lopped off and the RSR piece put back on and not 3 hours later I got 3 CELs. Cylinders 1 and 2 misfire and a pending code for cylinder 3. At no point during my ownership of this car has it idled rough, sputtered, knocked, been erratic or driven poorly in any perceivable way. I had a mechanic at Subaru, mechanic at the place who did my muffler, and my friend who owns a 300whp GSX drive my car for 20+ minutes each at different times and none of them said anything negative about how it felt or sounded.

I am posting this in hopes of ideas, experiences or suggestions of what this could be, what i should do test/replace, or any general advice.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick
pskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

take it to mastro and have them look at it....
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
pskelly
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
Silver

I took my car to Sport Subaru to do the O2 sensor so Id probably go there because they are closer. If this is an issue that has to do with my modifications do you think a dealer can help? For instance if the car is running lean. Or do you think its something else?
Old 12-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
pskelly
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
Silver

I forgot to mention that the car has 50,2xx miles on it. I also did find a COBB access port manual in the glovebox. No access port though. >.<
Old 12-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

OK...the car likely needs a tune.....that intake may be causing the issue

have a compression test done
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote