Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
SPCDill07WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 377245
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
Black

Default Bad Slave Cylinder????

Hello everyone,
Quick run down on what is going on.
2007 WRX TR 2.5l
5 Spd Transmission

When you touch the clutch pedal it automatically drops about 3/4 down with no pressure, then you can push it the little bit of the way down but the pedal does not return at all. There are no leaks anywhere the reservoirs are all full and have plenty of fluid. I think and friends have said that my slave cylinder has gone bad????
This is my first Subie and first import. I am a total NOOB and need help with diagnoses.
Thank you in advance.

This is pedal being pushed in and pulled back out.

This is the play that is at the end of the slave cylinder.

Thanks again guys. Any help is appreciated
SPCDill07WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
slatere17
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 375471
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2010 WRX Hatch
'Lightning' Red

There is a pivot point at the end of the slave cylinder rod (inside the boot) that can pivot like in your video, so the movement of that rod doesn't seem too abnormal.

The top of the shifter fork looks like it is WAY too far towards the back of the car which suggests that something is up with your shifter fork/throwout bearing/pressure plate fingers. This is why the slave cylinder rod is just floating in the air. When there's no resistance on this rod, the clutch pedal will stick to the floor since there is no hydraulic pressure pushing it back up. Same thing happens when you bleed the clutch hydraulics.

If I had to guess I'd say something is up with your shifter fork, especially if this just started happening suddenly (as in it broke). If you want to try and take a look at it, you can pull the rubber boot off the shifter fork and take a look inside the bellhousing and you might be able to spot something if it's obvious. Not terribly easy though, not much space to work with.

I have a '10 WRX and just replaced the clutch so I've spent the last 2 weeks staring at this. Yours might be slightly different since it's an earlier generation but should be fairly close.

If you want a reference pic of what this looks like inside, here's one all cleaned up and greased ready for installation. It's a lot more dirty than this when cracked open.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

and top of shifter fork:

[IMG][/IMG]
slatere17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
SPCDill07WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 377245
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
Black

WOW thanks man for the info and the pics.....I bought the clutch fork and replaceing that and starting with small working to big and expensive for the fix.
Thanks again man.
SPCDill07WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
slatere17
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 375471
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2010 WRX Hatch
'Lightning' Red

Were you able to get a visual on the clutch fork? If you wiggle it does it feel like it is intact and still attached to the throwout bearing?

If you are still on the original clutch, I would guess you're in the mid 100k mile range and are probably due for a replacement. No matter what, even just the clutch fork requires dropping the transmission and a lot of people replace their clutch while they have it off because of how much effort it takes.

A word or two of advice, just be careful ordering parts before you know something is wrong, don't just assume what I'm saying is right. There is a lot of good information on forums but also a lot of bad. Your fork may be fine...
slatere17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
wenchzilla
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 386397

I had the same problem a few months back. Turns out I just had air in the system. Later I found a minor leak in the hose between the reservoir and slave cylinder, which I didn't notice until I tried bleeding the system. After searching for the part number and asking AZ, AAP and Subaru dealerships, no one could help me locate the part and they all suggested I buy the entire assembly. Fortunately, there is a subaru junk yard near me and they gave me a slave cylinder and hose I needed for 5$. Bled the system with brake fluid and I was good to go.
wenchzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
phantomkid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 386488

Really good post... Id also like to recommend waiting on ordering parts before a good diagnosis. Id say start by trying to bleed the slave cylinder, crack the bleede at the top and just make sure your full of fluid at the reservoir and see if any air comes out of it and retest. If your still having problems ask a friend for help have them depress the clutch and watch the rod on the slave cylinder see what happens when the push there foot all the way down and watch the travel, open up the boot. Does the pressure plate not have enough spring tension to push the clutch pedal back.... theres a lot of questions you should try and come up with as many answers as you can. Start easy, bleed the clutch circuit.
phantomkid is offline   Reply With Quote