Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 18, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
pocketdrummer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 197301
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STI
W R Blue (02C)

Default XPT Stage 2 w/o K&N

I'm slowly building my car up to the requirements of the XPT stg 2 tune (w/ GS EBCS), but there's one part that keeps bothering me.

The K&N panel filter.

As I'm sure you're all well aware, these filters have a reputation for destroying MAFs, and they are (among?) the worst filtering panel filters you can buy. I've also seen plenty of people test before and after and had no discernible difference between the K&N and any other filter on the market apart from the oil and the terrible filtration.

So, is it possible to run the XPT tunes without the K&N (despite what it requires)? If not, is it difficult to adjust the tune in ECUFlash to allow for regular filters? If it can't be done, I'll have to explore other options.
pocketdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Concillian
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4414
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

MAF calibration (and therefore fueling) will be off without the exact correct intake setup. This is why the filter is REQUIRED. K&N panel filter is also often used on Romraider posted base maps because it's consistent car to car in terms of MAF calibration. If you don't specify which filter, then someone with a FRAM is different from someone with OEM is different from someone with K&N, and MAF calibration from one K&N panel filter to another is quite consistent.

A K&N filter will not destroy your MAF. LOTS of people run the panel filters or the oiled cone filters and in my well over decade of ownership and forum participation have seen every "broken" MAF revived to work fine once it was cleaned.

The MAF may collect some oil if you over-oil your filter, but you just buy electronics parts cleaner at the car parts place and add cleaning your MAF to your preventative maintenance list for when you oil your filter. Read through this thread for tips on cleaning your MAF:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1019843

My car has run an oiled cotton style filter of one form or another for about 150k miles.

If you still don't want to run K&N filters, then you will need to scale your MAF for your chosen intake, which will require a wideband O2 sensor installed between the turbo and any cats... at this point you're essentially self-tuning, so it may not make sense to buy the map.

Last edited by Concillian; 09-26-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
pocketdrummer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 197301
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STI
W R Blue (02C)

Are there any open-source alternatives to the XPT maps? They seemed perfect apart from the filter. In fact, filtration is the main concern. I don't mind cleaning parts, it's accelerated wear that worries me the most. It's my DD, so although I'm pushing the car harder, I have to cut my losses somewhere.
pocketdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Concillian
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4414
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

Torqued performance has some maps for later model cars, but nothing for 02. There might be some base maps on Romraider, but these will generally require a little tweaking and aren't really for someone to blindly flash to their ECU and assume everything is alright.

Get an O2 sensor and an e-tune or self-tune, or don't get an O2 and get a local tune. OTS maps have a fair amount of compromise associated with them. NOTHING compares to a custom tune. Not just the performance, but the smoothness and drivability improvement.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote