Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Jswansti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 239623
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza STi
WRB

So I installed my SMY Clustermaker gauge pod last night. I haven mixed feelings at the moment. The stock fitment and oem look of the pod is perfect, my issues came when installing the gauges. I will post pics later when I can.

My first issue was with the depth given for the wiring and gauges themselves. I have mechanical boost and electrical oil temp Autometer gauges, and it was incredibly cramped getting everything in, especially the boost gauge. The fitting for the boost line was slightly too long, so I actually had to shave some of the back off the plastic "cup" of the cluster. After that my gauge with the boost line fitting attached went in fine, but now I was hitting the clear plastic cover of my actual dash gauges with the boost line fitting, but just barely. I loosened my dash cluster and was able to shift it slightly enough for my boost line fitting to squeeze in, and for the cluster to clip into place.

The oil temp gauge went in just fine without having to alter the actual cluster pod at all. Only problem is my back light for the gauge won't come on when I turn my lights on now, which is my fault.

My biggest issue is that my gauges won't sit flush against the pods in the cluster. The very top of the gauge (12 o clock position) touches the pod, but the bottom (6 o clock) has a gap between the gauge and the pod. You can easily see the side of each gauge when looking at them from the side. I've pushed them I as far as I can, and they just won't go flush with the pods. I think I'm just gonna paint the sides of the gauges black so it is far less noticeable. I'm not sure of this is due to the cluster design or my gauges specifically, but I've seen pics of different gauges that fit in much easier and more flush than mine.

Overall, I actually really like the cluster. It looks good and I prefer the position to the a-pillar pod. Different boost gauges will fit much better than mine, especially electrical gauges, so you might not have any of these issues. I'm going to take it off tomorrow night to try and fix my oil temp light, make the wiring around the steering column much cleaner, paint the sides of my gauges, and take some detailed pics.

Last edited by Jswansti; 10-02-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Jswansti is offline   Reply With Quote