Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Regional Areas > International Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
opiestyle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 285860
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
OBP

I'm in the process of pcsing to K-Town, any advice from others who have shipped a car to Germany before. My WRX is going to be in storage, I'm bringing my Legacy.
opiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
franco_STi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 168272
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2006 STi
WRB

take care of any modifications/tune while you're stateside. tuning, work is expensive out on the economy, unless you do all work yourself. buy a hoopty, and if you have a cobb ap, set it to valet mode, too many peoples cars (not just subarus, all makes) have had their vehicles damaged, etc. purchase oil filters and little stuff for your car and ship it to yourself as buying things like that at the subaru dealerships are expensive. if your car is modded, chances are it won't be touched. i've been to five dealerships and all have turned me down because it was modded and u.s. spec, the german guy told me that also, it's because he doesn't have tools to work on it? i was confused but there is a reputable shop that does outstanding work and they go by the name of DC Autoservice in graf area. earlier you ship your car, the faster you'll get it here obviously. when you do get an e-mail or call that your car is ready to be picked up. really look at your car, inside and out, underneath etc, and claim it right then an there, take pics, because once you drive out, it is really hard to claim it thru their transportation system.
franco_STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
opiestyle
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
OBP

Thanks, my legacy is 100% stock as its my wife's car. It's the 2.5i limited non turbo. I just redid the brakes and a tune up belts, hoses, plugs, wires, flushed the motor. I'm going to take pics before I drop it off at the port now, and then more if needed when I pick it up. I appreciate your advice.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
brranger
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 99197
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 WRX 6 speed

100% stock legacy? Store that and bring the wrx
brranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
opiestyle
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
OBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brranger
100% stock legacy? Store that and bring the wrx
I can't unless I refinance it through another bank. I like my .09% interest rate. Chase won't let me take it out of the 48 continental states.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:27 AM   #6
SubyDrewski
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 258379
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2005 STi
OBP

Chase needs to get slapped in my opinion. Although I suppose I can see the issue with a nice new 2011 like that. Damn shame at any rate. Good to have another Subie in the country though.
SubyDrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
wrxfr3ak227
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 236414
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2010 BPM Sport ///M3
Alpine White/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiestyle View Post
I'm in the process of pcsing to K-Town, any advice from others who have shipped a car to Germany before. My WRX is going to be in storage, I'm bringing my Legacy.
Bummer, the scene here is getting bigger. We have plans to have meets at the Nurburgring but you can just bring the Legacy and hit it up!

Note: If your car has any tinted windows that didn't come from the factory they will force you to take it off before registering it. When your car gets here you will be given temporary plates for thirty days to register it. Most cases people are clear of inspection and will get it registered right away. As for insurance either get one off post or through stateside. Before going into vehicle registration make sure you call the insurance company to send vehicle registration your proof of insurance digitally or you will not be able to register the vehicle. As for ****DC Autoservice**** they are a great group of guys who will work on tuned and modified cars, especially your legacy. They have worked on installing forged pistons to clutch to full engine swaps, you name it they can do it. I normally do most work on my own but anything internal wise I leave to them for the real deal. In fact I am being a bit lazy this year and having them install my coil overs, wheels, brakes, roll my fenders and wrap my car matte black plus take out some dings. They look out for us around here and if you need anything from them just let me know and I will get you set on the right path!
wrxfr3ak227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
opiestyle
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
OBP

Ya, I don't any window tint, good thing I'm not bringing my WRX the widows are blacked out, I got a quote for like $130/ month through USAA. Which I guess is because Germany requires a 7.5million euro umbrella and something else. I was shocked I pay $280 every 6 months state side for full coverage. I think it's going to be an experience. I hope to meet up with other owners get some ideas, as I plan on putting money aside to buy parts for my WRX.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
jdmdom
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 287430
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
1995 Impreza L
Multiple

Nice!!!
jdmdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
opiestyle
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan
OBP

Well, my orders were deleted today. Concurrent travel was denied for my family, now I'm heading to Fort Carson.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
beij0
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 248975
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
PSM

That's a bummer.
beij0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #12
franco_STi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 168272
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2006 STi
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiestyle View Post
Well, my orders were deleted today. Concurrent travel was denied for my family, now I'm heading to Fort Carson.
i got an assignment there, awaiting orders. so i'll see you there! oh, not sure if you know, but the guys around there don't check here, they're on awdpirates.net
franco_STi is offline   Reply With Quote