Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-14-2004, 10:34 AM   #1
thedude
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1210
Vehicle:
1999 Dodge Viper ACR
Black/Black

Question Brand new WRX dies and won't restart (kinda long)

So me wife and I and her friend are headed out to Indy to do some shopping a grab a byte to eat Saturday morning. We all pile in to my 2003 WRX with about 6k miles on the odo. I should note that this thing has a full APS turboback and Cobb stage 2.

I start the car up while I am waiting on my wife (always waiting on my wife) and my wifes friend gets in the back seat, sits down, and closes the door. We are sitting there for 2-3 minutes with the car idling fine when all of a sudden the ENGINE DIES!! Initially I think, no big deal. Maybe the Cobb reflash (which has been in for over 3k miles) was not able to maintain the low speed governor.

So I try to restart....nothing. Vehicle cranks fine but will not start. Seems to not be getting any fuel? Gas? Got about 1/4 tank left, so that shouldn't be an issue.

So I am starting to get a bit worried. I pull up the carpet and check the connectors going into the ecu. I pull them all out and clean them off and seat them securely back into the ECU. Next, I tried to start it again and still nothing.

At this point I am really starting to freak out. I go to the garage and get the gas can an top it off with an extra gallon. Try to start it up...STILL NOTHING.

Next I turn my attention to the fuses. For some reason (luck I guess) I check the main fuse box first. I open in up and whadyou know, a PAL 30 AMP fuse is staring me right in the face that is blown. I check my owners manual to see what circuit this fuse controls, but there is nothing listed for this particular fuse. So I immediately guess that is has something to do with the fuel pump.

This was a strange type fuse (none on hand), so I had to have my wife take me by Autozone and pick a couple up for $2 each!! Rip off!!

We get back home, I plug it in and start the engine up and it purrs like a kitten. I let in run for about 30 minutes or so and everything seems fine???

What I would like to know is what the hell happened? The only thing I can think of is that I got some bad gas. I must mention that this vehicle was parked outside all night in sub 30 degree weather and maybe the fuel pump froze up and popped the fuse. I have been using Sunoco 94 now since I bought this vehicle. Is it possible I got some bad gas. Or maybe some water in the fuel that froze up?

PLEASE HELP!!!
thedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
thedude
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Dodge Viper ACR
Black/Black

Oh, and BTW. The fuse that blew was a 30A PAL fuse (pink in color) in the main fuse box under the hood. There are two of these right next to each other right near the main 80A fusible link. The one that popped is the one closest to the firewall. Thought I would post this just in case it happens to someone else.

Joe
Old 03-14-2004, 11:05 AM   #3
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Keep a spare in the car....
$2ea isn't bad for a 30A PAL.
Show the wife how to change it without a meltdown.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 12:05 PM   #4
Unabomber
Big Ron
Super Moderator

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Unusual to say the least, thanks for posting the symptoms and cure. You may want to give Cobb a ring about this as well. It might not be related at all to them, but if they maintain a "trouble database" it may be useful to future owners if this becomes common.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
thedude
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Dodge Viper ACR
Black/Black

Thanks,

I will try to get a post going over at the Cobb forums. I don't think it is related to the reflash, but it is worth looking in to. I think a more reasonable hypothesis would be some bad gas and low temperature that froze up the pump. But I have never heard of this happening before. In fact, I have been searching the internet for hours and I still can't find out what circuit that PAL fuse controls. It is not listed anywhere in the owners manual, so I cannot be sure that is was for the fuel pump. I do know that when it is removed, the car cranks, but will not start.

If anyone out there knows about the fuel pump fuse, please post!

Joe
Old 03-14-2004, 06:51 PM   #6
thedude
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Dodge Viper ACR
Black/Black

Update:

I think I found out what the problem is. I created a new post in the General Forum with what I think is the possible cause.

Joe