Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-27-2003, 07:43 PM   #1
Ramsdale
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1951
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
08 M3

Default Idle problem - Info only

Just posting this in case it helps anyone out who is searching for info on idle problems:

Car = 1999 Impreza RS. No intake or engine mods. 50,000 miles. No oil leaks or any problems with head gasket.

Issue = When the engine was warm, it would nearly stall when the car was stopped. At speed, the engine ran fine, and when in neutral coasting to a stop, it would drop to normal idle and stay there for a moment. However, once the car came to a complete stop, the idle would drop to about 200 rpm and the motor would nearly stall. Then, it would catch itself, rise up to about 1000 rpm, drop again, and so on until it balanced at about 4-500 rpm (which was a low idle).

If the engine was turned off and restarted while still warm, it would start up just fine, but would then almost immediately stall as above.

When cold, the engine would idle high (as is normal) and would have no issues on restarts. Likewise, the motor was fine at speed, under load, etc. No missing, pinging, hesistation or any other abnormalities.

It did this for a couple of weeks, and didn't seem to get worse or better. During that time I tried...

Things that had no effect = New air and fuel filter (Subaru OEM parts). New spark plugs and wires (NGK as listed in manual). Changed the oil and filter while I was at it. Checked air intake plumbing for leaks (none), and checked all vacuum lines for leaks (none). Tried fuel ejector cleaner and switched brands of gas. Checked PCV and EGR valves (working properly). Tried sacrificing an old Rochester Quadrajet to the Gods of Lumpy Engines, asking them to bless the Subaru with smooth operation once again, but no effect.

Dejected, but with the Spring tune-up out of the way, I headed off to the local Subaru dealer to have them take a look, and to get the new MAF sensor per a recall notice I got in the mail.

Yes, what it was = Bad MAF sensor. I had read lots of posts about how when the MAF sensor goes bad, the car goes into limp mode. Since I could happily run the motor to redline, I figured it was some weird vacuum problem I couldn't trace, or some odd engine management problem with the computer. Nope, turned out that they just slapped a new MAF on, and the problem went away. At least the little line at the bottom of the worksheet said "$0.00 - Recall Item"

So, just in case someone else is having the same issue, with a '99 RS, don't rule out the MAF just because the car isn't in limp mode.

(Disclaimer: If you have missing/surging/hesistation/knocking/rough idle/wild mood swings - you are probably looking at something else. Also, if this is your first Subaru and you just got it - yes, the idle is a little rough normally. Don't sweat it.)

Enjoy,
KR
Ramsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 12:46 AM   #2
m750
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2278
Vehicle:
8Sti | 07 allez
White | Comp

I've had very similar results w/ a bad 02 sensor.... Tho, passing the info on is always appreaciated...
AO
m750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 01:04 PM   #3
Ramsdale
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1951
Vehicle:
08 M3

--bonks head--

Yup, I forgot to mention the O2 sensor as another possible culprit. Thanks for mentioning that one.

As anyone doing a search will see, there are a lot of possible causes of idle issues. Since some people may not associate the MAF with idle problems, I wanted to give some specifics on how the car was acting.

KR
Ramsdale is offline   Reply With Quote