Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
mckinnon99879
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 314199
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
ISM

Default 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport trailer hitch?

Well let me start by saying i bought my first subaru today 2012 subaru impreza sport 5spd hatch... i love it so far, but to the point of this post is, i am wondering if it is possible to get a hitch on it, i have read different things everywhere, the salesman said yes... but they dont have one themselves to do it, i read no they wont, i read yes they will but it will void warranties... does anyone have the definitive answer for me... from experience does anyone know?

thanks
mckinnon

(i searched and couldnt find anything about this but if it has already been addressed i apologize)
mckinnon99879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
subie_lawyer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 312236
Vehicle:
12 Imp Sport black
12 Imp Prm sdn DGM-wife's

It's definitely possible. You could put a Class 1 hitch with a max weight of 2,000 lbs on it. U-Haul will sell and install it for less than $500 probably.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Hitches.aspx

I don't know about warranties and such, but this is such a common practice that I can't imagine it would void a warranty...
subie_lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
subiTWO
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 273054
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT HB

I drove the area rep's demo 2012, before my order came in to the dealer. I asked about the hitch, and the rep said in no uncertain terms that it would affect my warranty. This was before I picked up my car, and they could have lost the sale because of it.
subiTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
subie_lawyer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 312236
Vehicle:
12 Imp Sport black
12 Imp Prm sdn DGM-wife's

Disclaimer: While I am a lawyer, the following is not to be construed in any way as legal advice. Consult a licensed attorney in your state if you have questions regarding your legal rights and/or responsibilities.

With that out of the way, there is a federal statute called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that may protect you against manufacturer's claim of a void warranty in this situation. Part of the Act says that if something breaks and you take it in for a warranty claim, the manufacturer must honor the warranty UNLESS the modifications to the product actually caused the problem. There are several exceptions to the general rule. Again, seek legal advice, but just know that this may help to protect a consumer in such a situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Wiki FTW!!! Please don't rely on Wikipedia or anything said on an internet forum to make decisions that may have significant legal consequences.
subie_lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Bentwood
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 320613
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX sti
BMW K1300s

So what was the outcome on this? This is an older thread I know and I'm new here so not sure on the rules but this is right on point and it seemed better to open this back up than start a new one. What was the determination on warranty, and if you did install what did you use?

I want to put bikes on my car and dislike the idea of a roof rack because it's a hassle to take the bikes off before I pull into the garage, there's the risk of forgetting and that's a mess and finally I figure a hitch is less ruinous of the lines than a rooftop rack which makes cars look somewhat utilitarian IMO.
Bentwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
paulwky
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 321516
Default Hitch for 2012 Impreza Hatchback

I have installed a hitch for on my 2012 Impreza Premium and was told by the dealer it would not void the warranty other than specific damage caused by towing an object that was too heavy. I plan to use it for a cargo basket and bike rack. This is a Curt Mfg #11286

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/112860

I am average mechanical skill and it took about 1 hour to install by myself. You do not have to remove the exhaust as some instructions suggest. Minimal hole expanding is required (less than 1/8"). To save time and big trouble, I would suggest leaving the fish wires attached to the mounting bolts until the hitch is in place and you are ready to put the nuts on. The fit is very nice, but the muffler bumps the hitch on take-off about 25% of the time.
paulwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Bentwood
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 320613
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX sti
BMW K1300s

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwky View Post
I have installed a hitch for on my 2012 Impreza Premium and was told by the dealer it would not void the warranty other than specific damage caused by towing an object that was too heavy. I plan to use it for a cargo basket and bike rack. This is a Curt Mfg #11286

I am average mechanical skill and it took about 1 hour to install by myself. You do not have to remove the exhaust as some instructions suggest. Minimal hole expanding is required (less than 1/8"). To save time and big trouble, I would suggest leaving the fish wires attached to the mounting bolts until the hitch is in place and you are ready to put the nuts on. The fit is very nice, but the muffler bumps the hitch on take-off about 25% of the time.
Thanks Paul. As much as I didn't want to do it I'm getting the roof rack. Just have to find a way to remember not to kill the bikes on the garage door.
Bentwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
CLL_63
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 315612
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2012 Imp sp lim
MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwky View Post

Hi Paulwky - I saw this hitch on the curt site and I am wondering if you raised the car on ramps or used jack stands to raise it. In their video, they had it on a hydraulic lift. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
CLL_63 is offline   Reply With Quote