Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-14-2003, 11:47 PM   #1
scoobyimprza
Scooby Guru

Member#: 24956
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
1997 Impreza WRX
Steel Blue Mica

Default EJ18 build-up possibilities

From what I can recall, using an EJ18 block with WRX heads is possible. What I'm thinking about is just the whole EJ18 engine with just the WRX pistons. My goal is to build a boost worthy EJ18 with WRX head components. Someone give me a little guidance here. Depending on when I get into the EJ18 that I'll be getting and I see the life of the rest of the heads, they may all be swapped out also. Thanks.

Brent
scoobyimprza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2003, 12:22 AM   #2
supermoose
Visiting NASIOC Timeout

Member#: 9093
Vehicle:
1995 RHD STi RA Ver2
swap starr

Default narg

hmm. u know the bore of the EJ18 stock? i have a EJ18 block thats apart (actualy for sale) that i could measure the walls for you if u needed it.the walls are really thick looking, so u could probbly punch it out to 94mm if u wanted to. u have the hookup on machining im guessing?

h
supermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 12:34 AM   #3
scoobyimprza
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza WRX
Steel Blue Mica

I actually have my handy-dandy owner's manual right here.....

The bore is 3.46in/87.9mm

The only difference between the bore/stroke with the EJ18 and EJ20 are the bores, correct? The strokes are all the same? I wanted to use the 1.8 block for the durability of the block, being that the walls are so thick and all. So if at all possible, I wanna keep the block dimensions where they're at. Hook ups for machining? I'm sure I could find someone to do it for me, though I haven't looked around.

Brent
Old 10-15-2003, 03:34 AM   #4
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2272
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2019 Macan 4cyl
1993 Impreza FWD WRX swap

Actually I was the one asking about the WRX heads bolting up to the EJ18. It was generally decided that everything will bolt up fine, but the coolant ports dont line up properly. It might be possible to modify them a little to work better, but the coolant flow would suck and it would be difficult at best to find gaskets that would work.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:18 AM   #5
scoobyimprza
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza WRX
Steel Blue Mica

Are you talking about the head gaskets?

Since the coolant ports don't exactly line up, what if I just used the WRX pistons with the EJ18 heads? Would that get my the compression ratio I'm looking for?

Brent
Old 10-15-2003, 12:24 PM   #6
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing
search FIRST, then PM!!!

I remember reading that the EJ18 block and the WRX heads will bolt up but never saw any evidence. Since you have some thick-arse wall, lower the EJ18's compression and slap on the WRX heads. Then run some big boost!! Your insanely thick walls should definately hold. And if you blow up the engine you can buy my old one...seriously. Or just buy it to build up while you still drive your old one..
Just spitting some ideas.
You could always bore it out and use the WRX pistons...also the crank and rods are interchangable between the two engines.
Take it easy, Micah
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 12:31 PM   #7
subiekid
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25516
Chapter/Region: NWIC

jaxx told me that the crank was forged. add some more boost points for that.

not sure if its true.
subiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 01:41 PM   #8
scoobyimprza
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza WRX
Steel Blue Mica

Quote:
Originally posted by Homemade WRX
I remember reading that the EJ18 block and the WRX heads will bolt up but never saw any evidence. Since you have some thick-arse wall, lower the EJ18's compression and slap on the WRX heads. Then run some big boost!! Your insanely thick walls should definately hold. And if you blow up the engine you can buy my old one...seriously. Or just buy it to build up while you still drive your old one..
Just spitting some ideas.
You could always bore it out and use the WRX pistons...also the crank and rods are interchangable between the two engines.
Take it easy, Micah
I think I would seriously consider buying your engine now. I have also heard about the crank and rods being interchangable. I heard that the rods are the same as the early STi rods and the crank is the same as the EJ20 Type RA crank.

Brent
Old 10-15-2003, 02:26 PM   #9
PRIOR
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 27524
Vehicle:
95 Impreza L awd
2.5 swap & only 2400lbs

yeah, its says on SPD's site that the rods and crank are the same as in the earlier RA motors.

anyways, i just finished a 2.5 swap, and i have a 1.8 sitting at my school. i dont know if i want to tear it down and build it, or if i should just try to sell it. if you didnt live so far away, i would probably be willing to let it go real cheap, but i really dont feel like dealing with shipping..... i dont even know how you would go about shipping a motor, lol.

i was also thinking about taking the crank and rods out of my old 1.8, and i could drop them into the 2.5 with some custom pistons.
if anyone wants to know why i would do this, it would make a big bore, rev happy motor(short stroke+big bore=big revs). if you know about small block chevys, then the 302 would be a perfect exaple of what i want to do with my motor. plus i wouldnt have to worry about the transmission breaking as much, since there wont be as much torque as a turbo 2.5.

but thats a whole other deal, and i just wouldnt have the money (17, w/o a job now). plus i would have to do something about the engine management and we all know thats cheap , and it requires tuning skills that im not sure i have.

the only way i would build the 1.8 though, is if i came across some wrx heads real cheap. but thats imo. which ever route you decide to go i wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by PRIOR; 10-15-2003 at 04:59 PM.
PRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:47 AM   #10
supermoose
Visiting NASIOC Timeout

Vehicle:
1995 RHD STi RA Ver2
swap starr

Default walls

hey- just was in my attic so i figured id measure the cylinder wall thicknes of the EJ18. theyre 9mm thick

how thick is a EJ20?

why dont u just get some forged pistons with stock bore, and just add more boost?

h
Old 10-16-2003, 08:52 AM   #11
scoobyimprza
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza WRX
Steel Blue Mica

I'm definately gonna see what all my possibilities are. I guess when I get the engine torn down, that's when I'll see what all can be done with it. Of course I don't wanna bore the EJ18 at all, cause it is such a good block, but boring it to fit the WRX pistons might be what has to be done.

Brent
Old 10-16-2003, 12:39 PM   #12
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing
search FIRST, then PM!!!

I would suggest calling JE and asking them what pistons may work...just let them know the bore size and you can go from there. A guy on the boards Sick1.8T lowered his compression by simply having a machine shop remove I think 5 cc's collectively from the tops of the pistons (1.25cc's a piston). It's just another idea.
Take it easy, Micah
Old 10-29-2003, 03:34 PM   #13
scoobyimprza
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza WRX
Steel Blue Mica

Hey, I just stumbled across something very interesting. According to this site, the piston size in the 1.8L engine is the same size as the N/A pistons in the 2.2L. So if there are any pistons that can be had for the 2.2, they should work in the 1.8

Brent
Old 10-29-2003, 07:32 PM   #14
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2019 Macan 4cyl

Im checking my Chiltons guide... There isnt a specific piston size measurement, but the compression numbers look very simular. In fact, the SVX 3.3 is identicle in terms of piston compression and piston clearance as the EJ18.

The bore x stroke numbers of the EJ18 may explain the displacement, as it is 3.46 X 2.95 vs. the EJ22's 3.82 X 2.95
Old 10-29-2003, 09:50 PM   #15
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing
search FIRST, then PM!!!

um that "site" must have a typo because the stroke and bore are the same according to them but that is impossible if the displacement is different which it is.
Take it easy, micah
Old 10-29-2003, 10:56 PM   #16
supermoose
Visiting NASIOC Timeout

Vehicle:
1995 RHD STi RA Ver2
swap starr

Default site.

your site is wrong.

look at the specs. they are showing the bor and stroke of a EJ18 as identical to a EJ22.

hmm. one is 2.2 liters, one is 1.8liters. anythign wrong tehr????

the stroke on EJ18/20/22 is the same

a ej22 is a bored ej20 is a bored ej18

h
Old 10-29-2003, 11:12 PM   #17
scoobyimprza
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza WRX
Steel Blue Mica

Damn! Shafted again! Oh well, back to the drawing boards.....
Old 10-30-2003, 01:59 AM   #18
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2019 Macan 4cyl

Anyway, so are those "performance" piston rings on that website?
Old 11-04-2003, 11:50 PM   #19
scoobyimprza
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza WRX
Steel Blue Mica

Alright, new chapter.

Cams.

Can I use EJ20 cams with EJ18 heads? I'm thinking that the answer is yes. I think I want something more durable before I would want something more performance oriented.

I did a quick search and came up with Cobb, Web, and JUN cams. Like I said, durability, then performance.

Brent
Old 11-05-2003, 03:07 AM   #20
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2019 Macan 4cyl

The answer is no for the EJ20 cams (hello, DOHC vs. SOHC!). But you can use EJ22T cams with EJ18 heads as those two heads are the same, and the EJ22T cams are only slightly different and the heads are identicle.... I dont know how much of an improvement it will be though.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:22 AM   #21
scoobyimprza
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza WRX
Steel Blue Mica

Quote:
Originally posted by Kostamojen
The answer is no for the EJ20 cams (hello, DOHC vs. SOHC!). But you can use EJ22T cams with EJ18 heads as those two heads are the same, and the EJ22T cams are only slightly different and the heads are identicle.... I dont know how much of an improvement it will be though.
I know that Cobb makes cams for the EJ22T. I don't know what I was thinking, but I thought that the EJ20 was SOHC. I need to get some more sleep.

When looking for cams and reading about their angles and such, what should I look for?

Brent
Old 11-05-2003, 11:50 AM   #22
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing
search FIRST, then PM!!!

to get some real pwerformance..due the EJ20 DOHC head swap!!! If it can be done
Take it easy, Micah
And yes the EJ20 is DOHC
Old 05-02-2005, 10:48 AM   #23
gf8rallywagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 86302
Vehicle:
1999 impreza OBS
two-tone w/ silver top

just a thought...

after some research i've found that at least early model scoobys use the same block, crank, and rods for the 1.8, 2.0, and 2.2(hence the reason the 1.8's cylinder walls look thick, there has to be enough material there to bore the block out to 2.2, so the 1.8 bores take up very little space...)

with this said, if coolant passages and oil passages line up between the block and heads, a fair bit of mixing and matching can be done...

for this reason i think a built 1.8 block with 2.0 heads with a turbo would a great amature rally motor. when i say built i mean built to be able to handle up to 12 or 13 psi with the relative high compression from th 1.8 piston shape and bore... this would make a high reving, fun motor with i believe a high hp potenial... and as i type this i think im gonna go dig up my engine math book and find out what the true possibilities are of this setup...
gf8rallywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:19 PM   #24
scoobyimprza
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza WRX
Steel Blue Mica

There was a test fitting of the 2 liter heads to the 1.8 block and everything lines up but custom low compression pistons will have to be used to avoid hitting the valves.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:14 PM   #25
gf8rallywagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 86302
Vehicle:
1999 impreza OBS
two-tone w/ silver top

my ?...

has anyone done some serious modding to the 1.8, without swapping heads and such? are there performance cams available? how about high compression pistons? anything would be helpfull...

also... i haven't gotten a chance to do the math on the above ? but i will get back to ya'll when i do... peace
gf8rallywagon is offline   Reply With Quote