Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
sogah87
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 286573
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX STi limited
Crystal White Pearl

Default Very specific sti tmic to wrx question

Hey guys, I know there are a billion posts on this subject, but I could not find an answer to this question specifically. I have a 2006 wrx, and I am purchasing a 2004 wrx sti TMIC. From what I have gathered all is well after ordering a 2" 90 degree Elbow (yes its got the Y pipe on it). I believe I'm good to go, except for the splitter on this thing... Because it's an '04 sti I believe the splitter will be too tall (seller is including splitter)... So the question is, Will the 2004 sti tmic splitter fit? If it doesn't fit, does anyone recall some one modifying it to work properly? Or are the bolt patterns completely different?

EDIT: I found this question asked - But it never received an answer, so rather than revive the dead, maybe I can make this a fresh one.

Last edited by sogah87; 02-02-2012 at 11:41 PM.
sogah87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
blame
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 226359
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
obp

find an '06-'07 sti splitter. the height of the '04 is less of a problem than the mounting issues. different hood + different scoop = different bolt locations.

you can get the splitter and bellows new at SGP, but if you can find a used '06-'07 on here it will be cheaper

the wrx one will work if you leave it on, but it won't be as efficient. it will only direct air through about 2/3 of the intercooler

experience: i have an '06 wrx with an '04 sti intercooler

-sean
blame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogah87 View Post
Hey guys, I know there are a billion posts on this subject, but I could not find an answer to this question specifically. I have a 2006 wrx, and I am purchasing a 2004 wrx sti TMIC. From what I have gathered all is well after ordering a 2" 90 degree Elbow (yes its got the Y pipe on it). I believe I'm good to go, except for the splitter on this thing... Because it's an '04 sti I believe the splitter will be too tall (seller is including splitter)... So the question is, Will the 2004 sti tmic splitter fit? If it doesn't fit, does anyone recall some one modifying it to work properly? Or are the bolt patterns completely different?

EDIT: I found this question asked - But it never received an answer, so rather than revive the dead, maybe I can make this a fresh one.
the sti splitter will fit..ya may have to 'massage' it a bit

i have a v7 sti tmic and v7 spec c splitter on my 06
with the stock scoop and it fit with just a bit of making it fit

I had ALL the same parts on my 02 wrx that had the bugeye jdm sti scoop
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
blame
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 226359
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
obp

oh, good to know, thanks uncle scotty

OP: disregard everything i said previously, i have been bested haha

-sean
blame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

many of these parts are interchangeable...straight swap....or slight 'massage' required

even if they LOOK like they wont fit
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
sogah87
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX STi limited
Crystal White Pearl

lol hey thanks a lot uncle scotty, and sean... I value your guy's opinions so thanks, I'll post more on here when I get everything, and begin "massaging" my splitter on :P
Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
Scooby Jay
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 282455
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx
Galaxy Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
the sti splitter will fit..ya may have to 'massage' it a bit

i have a v7 sti tmic and v7 spec c splitter on my 06
with the stock scoop and it fit with just a bit of making it fit

I had ALL the same parts on my 02 wrx that had the bugeye jdm sti scoop
I am getting an sti tmic for my 02 wrx. Do you think a new scoop and splitter is the way to go or can i just cut or even remove the splitter so my tmic is in full efficiency
Scooby Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
sogah87
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX STi limited
Crystal White Pearl

Vvvvv
Old 02-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
sogah87
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX STi limited
Crystal White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Jay View Post
I am getting an sti tmic for my 02 wrx. Do you think a new scoop and splitter is the way to go or can i just cut or even remove the splitter so my tmic is in full efficiency
The splitter, stock or sti, is designed to direct air precisely across the intercooler. Removing it completely would be kind of risky or would not help with cooling the air any more than before. You'd be better off leaving the stock splitter on there until you can pick up an sti splitter. The OEM sti splitter parts are online, and they should fit you 02. its like $90 for the splitter and $30 for the shroud.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
sogah87
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX STi limited
Crystal White Pearl

So I fitted the Sti TMIC and the splitter! Had to trim the splitter!!! But it works, and is all bolted in. the pattern of bolts was the same on the splitter. The height was much too tall, so I had to trim it down about an inch, then bend the mid divider the runs horizontally. That way the hood scoop was divided evenly, now I don't know much about the aerodynamics of the hood scoop, but I am assuming that I have been able to make the air flow evenly lol. Here's to hoping!

Old 09-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
subie bro
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 327229
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2005 Wrx
OBP

i have a 05 wrx and bought a sti TMIC for it, but i dont have a atermarket y pipe. What do i need to buy for this sti intercooler to fit my wrx
subie bro is offline   Reply With Quote