Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
juanmedina
Scooby Guru

Member#: 133146
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen 7.37@95
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_Imprezav View Post
Honestly you can't call anything over 600 reliable. Hell you can't call 500 reliable unless you paid 6 figures for the car and it came with that much power stock. You think Nissan would warranty a motor that blew up because you got bigger turbos and turned up the wick?

While an EVO 4g may have a more reliable motor, you would be rebuilding tranny's and your drivetrain every other week. I would venture to say 2 years out of the motor is way more time than you would have gotten with an EVO tranny at 600+ before something broke.

In this world if you want to go fast you have to pay to play. Skimping on one part at the time may seem like nothing because everyone always thinks "I am going to keep the power below that" and we all know how that works out with the mod bug, can be the difference between a $200 refresh to a $2500 new block + head work mistake. Been there, done that. Spend the extra $300 now and save your self $2000 later.

At the end of the day if you want something to be reliable you have to take all the external factors out. Figure out how to do it your self. Yes you will make mistakes but you will also learn from them. When its all said and done, you should have something you can proudly say you built ground up and when $hit hits the fan, you have no one to blame but your self. You learn from what failed or what you messed up and move on to make it better. Reality is, that is the only way you will ever have something you have call "reliable" with enough power to spank 90% of cars/bikes out there.

My advise to Juan is to put the car on the back burner and buy a reliable DD. Take the next year and assemble your spare motor. Ask questions in the built motor section if you get lost. Get it together and then take the time to build another motor for your backup. Once a year swap the two and improve the one you are refreshing. Once you get that down to a science, it should not run you more that $200-400 a year to keep a reliable engine in the car. This is if you want to have a 600whp suby you don't want to worry about breaking. Plan B is to turn the power down to 400 and live with it.
Thanks! that's one of my options building the next motor myself. My car wasn't my DD, I have reliable honda that takes the everyday abuse . I agree asking for 600whp from a 4 cylinder motor is just too much.

I will take the motor apart this weekend if the weather is good, I hope at least one of the head is good.
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote