Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Niku-Sama
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 212426
Vehicle:
1990 Loyale AWD Turb
White

Default need to fix a DIY r134a A/C conversion

ok so this is on a loyale turbo AWD heres what i think is going on.

the hood has a sticker saying it was converted in late 2006 to 134a, compressor still comes on, no leaks and has dye in the system, system is holding pressure but still blows warm.

i'm not exactly sure how much 134 is in it, its not much because i watch the little window on the dryer when the a/c is on and the refrigerant only goes by every once in a while in a white foamy lookin manner. what i think they did is they get one of those fill nipple/o-ring conversion kits, blew all the old stuff into the atmosphere and stuck the conversion kit on and filled it up.

how should i go about fixing this?

should i find some one to suck out whats in there and then further suck out the air my self some how and fill it with a can or should i have them suck the old stuff out and suck the air out and then fill with a can?

i am trying to go cheap here, i think refilling at an a/c shop is gonna cost alot more but i also dont know how much just sucking it down is gonna be either.

the only thing i wont do is open the system and let it vent out, thats just stupid
Niku-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

How badly do you want AC? Given what's already been done to it, it may need more than just a refill so I'd highly suggest having a shop look at it. It may cost you more up front but, as long as you go to a place that really knows AC, they are much more likely to get it working than you are messing around on your own.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #3
Niku-Sama
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 212426
Vehicle:
1990 Loyale AWD Turb
White

pretty bad, i'm going to be in el paso tx next summer (hopefully) and talk about hot.

everything is functional but i kinda get the feeling if i have some one suck it down its going to be cheaper for me to fill, unless i can find some place thats having some sort of special
Niku-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
DrSaabaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 183225
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero

It's not that expensive to have a shop evacuate and recharge the system... $120 maybe? I'd consider it money well spent if I was going to be in El Paso in the summer
DrSaabaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
my4isflat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 120002
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS, '95
Legacy w/325k mi (RIP)

$120 to evac and recharge is dirt cheap. I used to love a/c service, I'd make 2.6 hrs just to hook up a machine and let it do all the work, good times.

You're going to have to hook up a set of manifold gauges to see what is going on with your a/c system, or take it to a shop. A good rule of thumb is whatever the pressure is on the low side is what the temp the a/c system should be blowing (36 psi on the low side roughly equates to 36 degrees out the vents, etc.). If you know for a fact your system is full then it is mostlikely the compressor or the expansion valve.
my4isflat is offline   Reply With Quote