Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-06-2021, 04:13 PM   #1
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 525652
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Default 2006 STi... Saving A Subie

Picked up this 2006 STi this past Tuesday. Plan is to make this my daily driver. So, I'm starting off with making it as reliable as possible, removing the yellow tint, new wheels and tires and new coil overs. Wheels, tires and coilovers are on order and a few weeks out.

The car has sat, unchanged, since 2016 when the PO passed away. I bought it off his widow as she decided it was time to let it go. Mods on the car are mostly from 2012 as far as I can tell, including the last time it was actually tuned.

Last edited by xtremewlr; 08-06-2021 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Pics added finally!
xtremewlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2021, 10:58 PM   #2
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Interior is in good shape, just needs a good cleaning, which I have already started doing. And my upholstery cleaner came in today as well.

I forgot to take my own pics of the seats, so these are from the CL ad.

2 of the gauges in the pod aren't working right. I took a look and am going to have to fix some wiring on them. Mileage is now at around 109,120 since I had to drive it from Phoenix to Tucson. Car ran great, didn't get hot, even in stop and go traffic for a few miles in Phoenix with the a/c blasting. Really, I was more worried about the tires making the trip than anything else.

As you can see, they are current old winter tires that have dry cracked from sitting for so long. But the held. As I said before, new wheels, tires and coilovers are on order. I'm not a fan of the cambered look and stretched tires. The ride is **** for one. I don't mind a stiff suspension but this is far too bouncy for me. And I want the flush look with proper camber for street driving with wider tires instead of wheels that are wider than the tires. Current setup are 18x10 with 225/40s stretched on. New setup will be 18x8.5 with 255/35 tires.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:59 PM   #3
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

So, the car made the 116 miles trip home and used about 1/2 a tank LESS than my 4Runner.

First thing I did was reinstall the wing that came with the car. It's a WRX wing, so eventually I would like to find the correct STi wing, but this is better than no wing for now. At least it's WR Blue.

I also removed the fake tow point from the rear.

As for the motor, it's already got a FMIC of unknown brand, same with the IC pipes. There is a Grimm Speed e-boost controller hidden in there and I believe the turbo is still the stock one. Exhaust has a Grimm Speed high flow crossover pipe, up-pipe and a wrapped HKS downpipe. Last tuned in 2012 as far as I can tell.

Last edited by xtremewlr; 08-06-2021 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Forums did a double post
Old 08-06-2021, 11:27 PM   #4
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Started removing the yellow tint last night and got 2 more windows done after work today. Fortunately, the rear window was not tinted. So, I'll remove the driver door tint tomorrow and will eventually get proper tint done all around. I also plan on having the trunk and hood wrapped in as close to WR Blue as we can find and the roof I was thinking of gloss black. We'll see.

Parts have been coming in as well. Killer B oil pan kit, driver valve cover gasket set, IAG AOS, turbo blanket (need to order exhaust gaskets first), spark plugs, phenolic spacers, PS pump hoses since the stock ones are rock hard. At least they aren't leaking yet. Also will be going thru all the vacuum lines and replacing them with silicone lines. I'll probably replace all the couplers and the intake stuff with new parts too. Not a fan of all the red.

That's it for now. Lots of work happening while I wait for wheels, tires and suspension. Not driving it with those old tires unless I have to.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:57 AM   #5
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Much cleaning ensued yesterday and will be continuing today. All the seats have been cleaned now.

Pulling the carpet today so I can clean that better than what's possible in the car. It's pretty nasty right now.

Dropped the headliner to sound deaden and insulate the roof. No more tinny roof. Also added Killmat to the package shelf.

Last edited by xtremewlr; 08-09-2021 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Pic correction
Old 08-08-2021, 01:14 PM   #6
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken

Member#: 238
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
OG05 STi
51E

Looks good....
here's a website to help you with OEM part#'s. Its a great reference ..are you planning to wrap or paint???

Bill

OEM Part list
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #7
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby South View Post
Looks good....
here's a website to help you with OEM part#'s. Its a great reference ..are you planning to wrap or paint???

Bill

OEM Part list
Wrap for now. Hood and trunk I'll match the WRB as close as possible. Roof is likely going to get gloss black.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:25 AM   #8
CoronaWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431618
Chapter/Region: MAIC

Looks like a fun project and its in decent shape to start with. Definitely would look better with the STi Wing, do you have the original scoop? What's the plans for the engine? I'd think it would be fun to bring one of these back to it's original OEM glory.
CoronaWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:49 AM   #9
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaWRX View Post
Looks like a fun project and its in decent shape to start with. Definitely would look better with the STi Wing, do you have the original scoop? What's the plans for the engine? I'd think it would be fun to bring one of these back to it's original OEM glory.
Nope, didn't have the hood scoop when I got it. I'm thinking about going with an ARC style reverse scoop, where it vents to the rear but has a small forward facing scoop on the turbo side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363453384460

Engine for now will remain as it is. Needs the cyl 4 cooling mod done, which I have the parts for. Also going to change out the oil pan and pickup to Killer B. Mainly I just want to make it as reliable as possible. Already has a fmic but I'd like to update the piping for that since it's older stuff and I don't really like that it has an actual BOV and not a recirc style. It's also right after the turbo instead of being right before the throttle body which seems to be the norm now. FMIC was done back in 2010-12 time range, so I dunno. I need to talk to a good tuner and see what the suggestions are to change that up.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:52 PM   #10
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Pulled the center console and the carpet so I could clean them. World of difference on the carpet. I just set it in the driveway, sprayed it with fabric cleaner, ran a drill mounted brush over it and then hosed it down really good. Hung it off the rack on my 4runner to dry. Worked great.

Cleaned up the floor pan and the deadened and insulated that as well.

Guess I forgot pics of the deadening. Same as the roof tho.

Dropped the carpet back in after work today, cleaned and reinstalled the rest of the trim and then reinstalled all the seats. Still need to clean and reinstall the center console.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #11
*6STARS*
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 205327
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
SGM

Progress Looks really good man! It looks like the interior cleaned up very nice.
*6STARS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:56 PM   #12
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by *6STARS* View Post
Progress Looks really good man! It looks like the interior cleaned up very nice.
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how the interior has cleaned up. I'll try to finish cleaning and reinstalling the center console tonight.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:27 AM   #13
CoronaWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431618
Chapter/Region: MAIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremewlr View Post
Nope, didn't have the hood scoop when I got it. I'm thinking about going with an ARC style reverse scoop, where it vents to the rear but has a small forward facing scoop on the turbo side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363453384460

Engine for now will remain as it is. Needs the cyl 4 cooling mod done, which I have the parts for. Also going to change out the oil pan and pickup to Killer B. Mainly I just want to make it as reliable as possible. Already has a fmic but I'd like to update the piping for that since it's older stuff and I don't really like that it has an actual BOV and not a recirc style. It's also right after the turbo instead of being right before the throttle body which seems to be the norm now. FMIC was done back in 2010-12 time range, so I dunno. I need to talk to a good tuner and see what the suggestions are to change that up.
Interesting hood scoop, never seen that style. Not sure who's tuning subaru's in Tucson nowadays, there was Eden, Crownconcepts, and Harrison in Rita Ranch.

The car is looking good!
CoronaWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:02 PM   #14
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaWRX View Post
Interesting hood scoop, never seen that style. Not sure who's tuning subaru's in Tucson nowadays, there was Eden, Crownconcepts, and Harrison in Rita Ranch.

The car is looking good!
Oh, nice! Thanks for the info, I'll have to see if any of those are still around and will tune Subies.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #15
Ultimateone
Scooby Guru

Member#: 48025
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
24 FL5 CTR
Champ White

I bet you can find a trunk or hood from a swap somewhere, there's dedicated swap threads on here.
Ultimateone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:40 PM   #16
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Not much to update. Still waiting on wheels, tires, suspension to show up. Driver front tire won't hold air for more than a day or 2 so I'm not driving it but around the neighborhood for now.

Got the Prosport gauges in the ATI gauge pod working. Poorly crimped wires, now soldered. Also found out the oil temp gauge isn't reading, now that I can see it. The temp sensor has basically fallen apart. I was able to remove the innards from the brass fitting on the oil filter sandwich adapter.

All the yellow tint is gone. Found the wrap color I think is a close match but it's currently out of stock, of course.

Discovered that the suspension is what I believe to be ISC N1 stuff. No idea if ISC is a good suspension or not. I just know I'm not happy with them and I've already got new stuff on order. I know the ISC stuff is rebuildable and it's all in decent shape (just old, at least from 2012 or so) but I just don't want to mess with sending it all back to have them freshened up. Probably sell them and the wheels for cheap one I have the new stuff.

Spent this past weekend cleaning up in the engine bay, painted the FMIC black, installed the IAG AOS and a PTP turbo blanket. Doesn't sound like much but it took forever. Had the replace almost all the vacuum and PCV lines with silicone, except the AOS lines. All the original rubber was rock hard and destined to fail if I didn't. Also had to fix failing wiring wrap in a couple places.

Both right and left side grill pieces basically fell apart when I was removing the bumper. Looks like they were broken when the PO installed the silver wire mesh and used some cheap glue to try and hold them together. So for now, I'll run without and order up some replacements at some point. Still deciding if i want to go stock or get mesh again. All the mesh stuff is carbon fiber from China, so I'm reluctant to go that route.

Old 08-18-2021, 11:32 AM   #17
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Found my missing 3rd brake light that goes in the wing. The PO or body shop had stuffed it behind the rear bumper cover when they repainted the trunk and removed the wing. PITA getting the bumper cover off, since I had never done it before. The brake light was double sided taped to the foam bumper insert. Now, with the cover off, I have a ton of cleaning to do before I reinstall it. But, I got the brake light remounted to the wing after wrapping the wires in some fresh Tesa tape and verified it's still working. Amazingly, the paint on the light is still in decent shape too.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #18
500_19B
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524021
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2021 STI
2002 WRX, 2023 Crosstrek

I really like this project... bringing a lot of the "classic" vibes of the original car and doing a very thorough job.

Not sure which wrap you decided on, but Avery Dennison "Bright blue" (SW 900-646-M) is a really good WRB approximation.
500_19B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:52 PM   #19
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Thanks!

I got 10 sample pieces from various companies and found that this one was the closest match to the WRB on my car. Which is still the original paint excepting the hood, roof and trunk. The Avery on looks pretty similar.

https://metrorestyling.com/products/...wrap-970ra-196
Old 08-20-2021, 12:43 AM   #20
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Not much of an update. I've got a growing pile of parts to install tho. Get some of it done this weekend.

New clutch return spring came in. Old one was getting a little stretched out from the years of use.

And some pics from removing the rear bumper to fish out the 3rd brake light that was tucked back there. They had double sided taped the brake light to the foam filler under the bumper cover so it could sort of be seen from the gap where the license plate goes. Didn't get any before pics but I got some from putting the cover back on. Got everything cleaned up nice back there while I was at it. And new clips from Amazon.

The 3rd brake light, back in it's proper home. I had to re-run the wiring for it and ended up just using Tesa tape to hold it in place since they had cut the proper clips.

Old 08-22-2021, 01:52 AM   #21
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Another busy day wrenching on the Subie. Changed all the drivetrain fluids with fresh Redline stuff. The transmission really seems to like it so far, running much quieter and shifting much smoother now.

Also found and corrected some more wonkiness from the PO. For some reason, he had shoved the exhaust as far over to one side as possible and used hose clamps on the exhaust hangers to keep it in that position. This was actually causing the exhaust to rub in a couple spots. Removed all the hose clamps and inspected the rubber hangers. They aren't worn out and going to fall off. Lots of clearance at the rub spots now and the tip is now more centered on the opening.

The big thing today was changing out the oil pan, pickup and windage tray from stock and installing a new Killer B oil pan kit with new pickup and windage tray. Also installed the new oil temp sensor that arrived during the week.

First, she had to float. I really need to get a 2nd floor jack for lifting the front. Both front wheels come off the ground when I'm jacking up one side from the subframe in front of the wheel. I use the factory tie down point as a reference for placing the jack. The body and everything is just stiff and there's hardly any suspension travel right now.

Laid the new pan and parts out.

Pulled the dipstick and oil fill cap.

The old pan, oil drained and ready to be pulled out. Filter is new, I put it on so the adapter plate thingy wouldn't drip oil on me.

New oil temp sensor installed and the wiring wrapped up is Tesa tape. It's the little silver one on the right. The other is oil pressure.

Got the old pan out. Requires lifting the engine up a couple inches or so, meaning I had to work around the floor jack. Good practice as I'll be replacing the motor mounts at some point too.

Digging into the bottom end. The OEM windage tray is huge compared to the Killer B one. It also sits way down from the rotating assembly. So basically useless as a windage tray.

Couple comparison pics of the windage trays and oil pickups. Notice the new Killer B one has 2 legs to support the tube and is actually welded together. The OEM one looks like it's brazed. No wonder it's prone to breaking.

Old 08-22-2021, 01:53 AM   #22
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Finally, the guts of the engine. Everything looks pretty good for just over 100k miles.

Killer B windage tray in place. Much tighter to the crank and should work much better.

And the new oil pickup in place with the extension blocks.

And the new pan in it's home.

Filled it up with my favorite Rotella T6 after lowering the engine back down, bolting everything back up that was removed for that and then set the car down on the tires again. Fired it up and oil pressure looked good but it ran like ****. I forgot a vacuum line, duh! Plugged that back in and she rumbles like a kitten again. Took it for a quick test drive and then checked for leaks, All good!
Old 08-22-2021, 09:18 PM   #23
xtremewlr
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STI
WR Blue

Updated pics of the STI. Gone is the yellow tint, added is the rear wing. Looking much better. Still no update on the new wheels and tires. Starting to wonder if I made a mistake going with Fitment Industries for them.

Old 08-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #24
*6STARS*
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 205327
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
SGM

Is it safe to say the PO did not tint the back glass? If he did and you pulled the tint off the back glass does the rear defroster still work? I love that your doing all this work right and taking your time and really updating the car and improving know failure points.
*6STARS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #25
timpala11
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 512891
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2010 STi/21 Passport
RIP 19 WRX & 16 FXT

Awesome project! I can't wait to get my own one day.
timpala11 is offline   Reply With Quote