Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-20-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
sedeuce
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 84701
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2010 Yaris 5dr Hatch
Black Sand Pearl

Default OEM speaker signal from harness, amp/sub signal from ?

Hey All-

I am doing some preliminary planning for raamaudio's sweet under-passenger-seat sub:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...=underseat+pic

I have a Sony HU powering the OEM speakers (via Sony wiring harness) and would like to keep that setup once I add the amp and sub (the 2-channel amp will only power the sub). On the back of my Sony HU are 4 RCA outputs labeled AUDIO-OUT FRONT / REAR, Left and Right. The question is:
Will I be able to use one of the RCA outputs (FRONT or REAR) for the amp in conjunction with using the speaker outputs off the wiring harness to power the OEM speakers?
A follow up question would be:
Should I use FRONT or REAR?

I think I've answered my own question here (please correct if wrong): the Sony HU delivers powered audio signal to the OEM speakers. The RCA outputs are line level outputs which can be used by the external amp for the sub. Perhaps the only question that really remains is:
Will the Sony HU deliver audio signal to both the harness as well as the pre-amp outputs or just either/or?
Hopefully there isn't some sort of internal switch which only delivers to one or the other.

Thank you for your help,
sedeuce

PS I don't have any specs on the RCA outputs, but it's a Sony CDX-MP40 HU if that helps. Also, I have this wiring diagram:
sedeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
enewtabie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 18928
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 jdm wrx v7/v8
inter/w Spec C roof vent

You should be able to run the internal amp plus the RCAs.I would use the rear so you could fade it if you wanted to.A sub rca would be the best,but I would use the rear.
enewtabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:44 AM   #3
RodimusPrime
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 82118
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX

The amp should power both the speakers and send a preout signal from the RCAs. That I think is the "normal" operation for most head units.

I know on my head unit (alpine cde-9845) there is a "feature" that lets you actually turn off the internal amplifier (so no sound to speakers through the harness). This supposedly lets you get better sound quality from your RCA outputs.

But right now i'm running regular head unit power through the harness to the speakers, and also using RCA outputs for a sub.

You'll be fine.
RodimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote