Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-12-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
BoneJj
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 222089
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
Satin Pearl White

Default 09 + Impreza WRX Exhaust thread: looking for the right one

So I've been all over www.YouTube.com looking for how the exhausts sound and such and well I've only been so lucky...

I have a 2010 WRX on order that should be here in a few more weeks and well instead of paying subaru for an exhaust that probably wont be as good as another model out there... I'm looking to be pointed in the right direction.

I could only find some threads with partial comments and nothing all that indepth.

So far videos of the 09 impreza wrx exhaust systems (CBEs) have not been that prevalent.... which is disappointing, I would have thought there would be more out there already, I did find a lot of cell videos that just sucked nuts though.

One of the ones I was looking for was the Borla Hush but it seems that Borla isn't making it for the 08 / 09+. I've always thought Borla seemed to have a corner on the exhaust note market but haven't found a damn thing related to them for the newer WRXs

Here is what I've found so far:

09 wrx perrin exhaust

2009 WRX Sedan Exhaust: Stock vs Perrin 3" CBE

Perrin again but with invidia dp

09' WRX Turboxs Turbo-back Exhaust 1-4

Stromung WRX 2009 Exhaust

09 WRX SPT Catback (poor audio quality)

stg 2 09 wrx cobb exhaust pass

Just for shizts and giggles this one made me laugh about Borla.... lmao...
BoneJj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
binaryterror
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 208459
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX
Spark Silver

Perrin FTW.

I have the Perrin Sedan on my 08, perfect sound for my tastes. Good rumble and volume at idle, and comes on loud when you step on it. The central resonator also makes 70mph freeway driving not unpleasant.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
BoneJj
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
Satin Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Perrin FTW.

I have the Perrin Sedan on my 08, perfect sound for my tastes. Good rumble and volume at idle, and comes on loud when you step on it. The central resonator also makes 70mph freeway driving not unpleasant.
that's the problem though, I don't want it as loud as the perrin. I want a little more volume than stock but looking for something that will be I guess middle ground between perrin and stock. That would probably be right were I want to be at.

I also need stock looking as well. That's a factor seeing as I am on college campus (going back for a new degree) I don't want the cops that hang around there harassing me for exhaust and so on.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
BoneJj
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
Satin Pearl White

anyone with any ideas on exhaust for the 09.

videos would be great if you have them.

Mainly looking for a milder tone than the perrin but not as mild as the stock/spt setup.

for a hatch though please.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
SubMojo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 198176

I have an 08 wagon with the SPT exhaust, i like it bc its not loud, it gives that nice little boxer hum but nothing obnoxious... Everyone is different as to what they prefer. I certainly like mine.
SubMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
belanjawrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 204504
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2008 STI
Silver

INVIDIA, i have an 08 and it sounds so sick. i get compliments on it all the time!!!!
belanjawrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Mr_Clean's_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 223615
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Black

I have the SPT on my 09 WRX wagon and I think it's perfect. It gives you good horsepower gain while barely raising the exhaust noise. While at cruising speeds at 70 and around town you don't hear it, but the second you hit the throttle you know its there. It depend on if you are getting the wagon or the sedan. The wagon is really mellow and the sedan sounds alot meaner.
Mr_Clean's_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
HolmesWRX09
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 224643
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
DGM

The SPT does sound nice and probably what I would prefer also. Unfortunately, I have heard 1000 stories about people ripping the flange off because the SPT leaves very little ground clearance.

belanjawrx I like the sound of the Invidia also but isnt it louder than the Perrin?

BoneJj I am pretty much looking for the same thing. From what I have researched thus far the Perrin/Cobb/Borla is about the middle of the road sound options (anyone correct me if I am wrong). Unfortunately, they are more expensive than Invidia/TurboXS and a few others I believe.
HolmesWRX09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
PS2Codebreaker
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 185155
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2015 STI Launch
WRB

Talking

Perrin is not too loud at all I have the Perrin on my 09 hatch and when im around my friends cars you cant even hear that my car is on!! My friend has an 09 hatch also but he has the Ultimate Racing catback.... now that is LOUD! Perrin is the best of both worlds in my opinion it has a very nice idle and its one of the cleanest sounding exhausts iv heard on the 09, but when you really hit it it has enough balls for people around to hear it. Iv had it on for about 6 months now and I havent been stopped by anyone yet. My friends even go so far as to make fun of it n say that it is an SPT because it is so quiet. Idk im my opinion if you want something that isnt too obnoxious but has enough rumble PERRIN FTW!! Oh btw its prob one of the most expensive exhausts out there just to warn you.
PS2Codebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #10
BoneJj
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
Satin Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2Codebreaker View Post
Perrin is not too loud at all I have the Perrin on my 09 hatch and when im around my friends cars you cant even hear that my car is on!! My friend has an 09 hatch also but he has the Ultimate Racing catback.... now that is LOUD! Perrin is the best of both worlds in my opinion it has a very nice idle and its one of the cleanest sounding exhausts iv heard on the 09, but when you really hit it it has enough balls for people around to hear it. Iv had it on for about 6 months now and I havent been stopped by anyone yet. My friends even go so far as to make fun of it n say that it is an SPT because it is so quiet. Idk im my opinion if you want something that isnt too obnoxious but has enough rumble PERRIN FTW!! Oh btw its prob one of the most expensive exhausts out there just to warn you.
NOT FUNNY on highlighted part....

I wish people would put better videos up on youtube concerning.

BTW, my 2010 is a hatch.... well will be once it finally shows up.

I really appreciate all the comments people, this is a great help so far.

For the perrin if you could describe the cruising speeds sound a little more, how would rate it @:

30mph
70mph

Would you think that the exhaust sound could annoy you after say a 4hr drive?

Last edited by BoneJj; 10-22-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #11
icetc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 180156
Vehicle:
2009 WRX 5-Door
OBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS2Codebreaker View Post
My friends even go so far as to make fun of it n say that it is an SPT because it is so quiet.
soooo that friend that always says this actually happens to be me lol but yea i gotta admit too it is one of the cleanest sounding exhausts the perrin one, i love my ultimate racing one bc its loud enough to notice it but nothing rediculous very clean and smooth, the perrin sounds more like the sound comes from the back of the exhaust portion while mine has a more throaty sound as if the sound was being produced from the dp, idk its weird to explain but you might get it, listen to videos of cbe and tbe and you'll figure out what i'm saying. but if you think the perrin is too loud then i would consider spt bc after that the perrin is the quietest and then it gets louder from there, also dont skimp on the $ you spend because quality matters, so far all the brands you have mentioned are good quality, maybe consider the magnaflow one? check it out on the website or youtube
icetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:19 AM   #12
BoneJj
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
Satin Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetc View Post
soooo that friend that always says this actually happens to be me lol but yea i gotta admit too it is one of the cleanest sounding exhausts the perrin one, i love my ultimate racing one bc its loud enough to notice it but nothing rediculous very clean and smooth, the perrin sounds more like the sound comes from the back of the exhaust portion while mine has a more throaty sound as if the sound was being produced from the dp, idk its weird to explain but you might get it, listen to videos of cbe and tbe and you'll figure out what i'm saying. but if you think the perrin is too loud then i would consider spt bc after that the perrin is the quietest and then it gets louder from there, also dont skimp on the $ you spend because quality matters, so far all the brands you have mentioned are good quality, maybe consider the magnaflow one? check it out on the website or youtube
so perrin isn't really that loud, must be the ****ty damn videos I see.

I'll have to check to see if I can find some audio on the ultimate racing as well. I do like the idea of deap and throaty. I think it's supposed to be that way. For yours I would ask the same questions as I did your friend.

How is the cruising speeds tone/volumes @:
30mph
70mph

How would you rate it for maybe a 4-5hr drive and so on? Do you think it has the potential to annoy you?

I don't want to be annoyed while cruising and I don't want it to vibrate my mirrors and such. I ran into this problems with a Mangnaflow on my current car. That is just ridiculously loud! It's to the point of complete and utter annoyance. I severally despise resonating tips as a result.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
BoneJj
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
Satin Pearl White

I found this video of a 2008 with the ultimate racing exhaust...

http://www.vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?i=...t-outside-car=

IDK I would like to hear them in person but IDK anyone that has these in my area.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #14
424wrx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 171948
Vehicle:
19 Sti
Crystal white

i have the catback borla on my 08 wrx sedan.ive had it over a year now. i have it bolted to the perrin 1 piece downpipe. the quality is great on the system. it sounds good without being too loud. from what ive heard in person the sedans sound nothing like the hatches. heres a couple of pics.
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #15
HolmesWRX09
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 224643
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
DGM

I think I have decided to go with the TurboXS, Invidia q300 or Magnaflow. I hear that they are louder than the Perrin. A local muffler shope said they could put a resonator in for me for $40 if it ends up being too loud. Anyone have preference on either three?

Anyone have any thoughts on this and if it ends up being too loud would it sound ok with a resonator?

Last edited by HolmesWRX09; 10-26-2009 at 12:08 PM.
HolmesWRX09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #16
grease_monkey09
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 216290
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
09 WRX hatch
WRB pearl

Default 09 exhaust search

I am in the same boat as you HolmesWRX09 in searching for that exact same exhaust set up. I would not go with the SPT, b/c there are only gains in HP for the 08 wrx, not 09 or 10, from what I've seen and read, I am not saying this is concrete, but I wouldn't spend $800 for noise and no increase in HP or torque. I have been leaning towards the Invidia Q300, as the N1 is way too loud for my tastes. There is also the Agency Power that's out for our cars being a hatch, and seems to sound quiet. I had heard lots of good things about the Blitz Nur Spec DT being quiet and getting good gains, but that exhaust system is extremely difficult to find and is also around $1000, but it is very quiet. What could also affect the exhaust notes in the videos you are watching, is the downpipe's, if they have a catted dp or uncatted as this could make the exhaust louder too. I have found the Agency Power for around $675 and the Q300 for $599 shipped, which I am pretty sure those are cheaper than the Perrin, so even if they are a little loud, you can spend $40 at the muffler shop and they would still be cheaper than the Perrin, but I'm with you on the video's I've seen, the Perrin does sound louder than what is portrayed by some of the posts in this forum. FYI, the Agency Power has a better muffler/exhaust tip than the Q300 IMOP...this is just more food for thought...
grease_monkey09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #17
BoneJj
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
Satin Pearl White

Damn you, lol, you are adding more exhaust systems to the list. too bad we can't get a shop to let us test out a whole bunch of systems on a stock car. That would be really nice but we would have to have someone with a damn good camera to ensure that we get some high quality audio so people will better understand what they are getting and could have a side by side comparison.

BTW: I have a HATCH

So good sound =:
  • Ultimate Racing
  • Perrin
Possible more power gains and louder:
  • Agency Power
  • Invidia Q300
Is that the gist of the idea at this point?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:14 AM   #18
grease_monkey09
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
09 WRX hatch
WRB pearl

I guess, I think in some of the videos the Q300 sounds more quiet than the perrin, and the one agency power video I caught, you couldn't even tell the person had exhaust, I know that sound will be the #1 seller for me, I am old enough that I don't want everyone looking at me as I drive down the street, don't want exhaust tickets, or sound like a motor boat. I want something with a nice deep rumble at idle and brings out the boxer engine sound under WOT, but which exhaust that is, I dont know yet b/c I haven't be able to choose myself, but when I do, I'll let you know, even though my post won't be with a high quality camera either ...
Old 10-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #19
blackmist27
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 209169

i think SPT is the way to go. too loud went out like disco shoes and pokadots. the main purpose for exhaust is to provide you with some good performance. the sound is important too... you dont want to have to blow your head off cause of the constant drone
blackmist27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 AM   #20
grease_monkey09
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
09 WRX hatch
WRB pearl

BoneJj, I decided on one today, I got the Greddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust, they only make it right now for the 08+ hatch, in the process of making it for the sedan, very quiet and looks bada$$, only bad thing is it's pricey, close to the most expensive CBE I've seen for these cars. I hope it's worth it, I'll post pics and vid when it shows up.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 PM   #21
BoneJj
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
Satin Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by grease_monkey09 View Post
BoneJj, I decided on one today, I got the Greddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust, they only make it right now for the 08+ hatch, in the process of making it for the sedan, very quiet and looks bada$$, only bad thing is it's pricey, close to the most expensive CBE I've seen for these cars. I hope it's worth it, I'll post pics and vid when it shows up.
ohhh, 08, that's no good, though, lol. I have 20, which I found out I will get to pick up in a week or 2, finally!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #22
BoneJj
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
Satin Pearl White

well I did find a much better video of the SPT catback:

this custom setup sounds pretty decent here:

2009 Subaru WRX with Megan Racing Cat Back Exhaust:
pretty much weak sauce if you ask me!

finally found a decent perrin video: and on a hatch, but it honestly does sound kind of soft though. Not much louder than the SPT if at all...

what's with the whistle?

this one has it as well, sounds more like a leak to me.

drive by perrin

COBB CBE is pretty much worthless!

invidia w/out resonator: sounds pretty damn good.

BTW: I'm still looking!!!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:09 AM   #23
424wrx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 171948
Vehicle:
19 Sti
Crystal white

wow you are really researching this. got enough videos? the hatches and sedans sound alot diffrent in person. make sure you like what you hear. also videos are not really accurate compared to hearing it in person.
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #24
Saj5DJ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 209669
Vehicle:
1997 Miata

I have a Perrin CBE on my '09 Sedan. Have to say I'm a fan. Really not that loud, but the tone is very deep and it sounds fantastic when you're really giving it some. The build quality is absolutely top notch too.

The whistle issue effected mine as well. Perrin said they got gipped on a batch a flex joints that weren't coated properly on the inside and the problem has now been resolved.

I'd definitely recommend the Perrin if you want a good tone and not too loud.
Saj5DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #25
BoneJj
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
Satin Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 424wrx View Post
wow you are really researching this. got enough videos? the hatches and sedans sound alot diffrent in person. make sure you like what you hear. also videos are not really accurate compared to hearing it in person.
yes, is there any other way to find out what you think will really fit the bill? I'm not able to physically hear them as I don't know any one else with the cars and well they aren't that popular at the hang outs, I've actually gone to a few of them many times and asked around to see if any 09+ WRXs were ever there. the only one that shows up is one with an SPT on it.

I also agree on videos, that's why I have been watching so many, to see if I can gauge the differences between them and so on. it's nice when you can see the comments of other people that have gotten them as well with the videos. I've also found a couple comparisons to stock and the SPT stock as well. Recorded by the same person so that helped a lot with gauging just how different they are from each other. I've concluded that the invidia will probably be way to loud for me to be able to deal with on a day to day basis. I'll be running just the CBE for a while as I don't want to mess with the warranty for some time. I may switch the DP as well later on but we shall see on that one and if I can get the dealer to not void my warranty on the car, lol. so yeah it might not happen....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saj5DJ View Post
I have a Perrin CBE on my '09 Sedan. Have to say I'm a fan. Really not that loud, but the tone is very deep and it sounds fantastic when you're really giving it some. The build quality is absolutely top notch too.

The whistle issue effected mine as well. Perrin said they got gipped on a batch a flex joints that weren't coated properly on the inside and the problem has now been resolved.

I'd definitely recommend the Perrin if you want a good tone and not too loud.
ahhhh well that clears up that question. I've seen that on a number of videos for the perrin, it would get rather annoying after a little while! seeing as I never got a reply from the others that I asked about sound on, could you possibly help me out in respect to that?

how is the cruising volume level in the cabin of the car?
30mph opinion and
70mph opinions would be appreciated.

I'm mainly looking to see if it's something that you can hear inside the car at those speeds and how tolerable or intolerable it would be after say a 4-5 hour drive, especially at the higher speed. I tend to have to drive distances a few times a year and I don't want to be bothered with crazy sound inside the car while driving. Especially seeing as I tend to have to make calls all time and when I have people in the car with me we tend to do conference calls while driving.