Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
dur4ce
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 213449
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Prem 5-door
WR Blue Mica

Default Help with BPV flutter after fmic install

So last weekend I installed a TurboXS catted downpipe, cai, and fmic on my heretofore stock 2009 WRX engine. Things went well and after a problem with the throttle body inlet popping off under boost everything seemed fine.

Everything except the fact that my bpv does not vent with a single "psh!" sound like other bpv's on an fmic. Instead, when I let off the throttle after building some boost I get a fluttering sound. I think the problem is that my bpv isn't actually venting and instead I'm getting compressor stall/surge. It sounds just like the videos of off boost compressor stall that can be heard on youtube, ect.

Here are some more pieces of relevant info:
1. I have a maddad boost gauge running off a T that is in the bpv vacuum line, about 5" from the valve
2. I've got a wideband o2 sensor and my afr's are running pretty normally, at about 14.2 at idle and cruising.
3. I have NOT leak tested the fmic yet, but I'm fairly confident that there isn't a major leak (all joints secured with t-bolts)
4. I have NOT yet replaced the throttle body inlet with the AVO silicone tb inlet I ordered. Should be delivered tonight.
5. Since the fmic, cai and dp were all installed at once, I can't tell if the flutter was present before the fmic install

My best guess is either the t in the vacuum line isn't a large enough inner diameter to let the BPV see the necessary vacuum to open, or for some reason my bpv is just buggered.

I think the best approach will be to install the tb inlet to make sure I'm not leaving at the tb (unlikely the problem) and fine a straight through hose coupler with a larger inner diameter and replace the T with that to see if the BPV vacuum line is the culprit. After that I don't know what to do except buy a aftermarket BPV (or recirc bov) to replace the stock one. But the stock one should be just fine... Ugh!

I would appreciate any advice that you could give. I just would like to get this taken care of before I really try out the full capabilities of my stage 2 setup.

Thanks!

-Steve
dur4ce is offline   Reply With Quote