Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 18, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-12-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
IIdiceII
Scooby Guru

Member#: 90438
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default Replacing power steering/alternator belt...anything else i should do?

Ok to start off...My car recently started having the typical power steering problems/issues that some people have. My car has 72k miles and things are starting to wear etc.

I first noticed the problems about a month ago. I parked my car outside of my garage on a really cold day and when I started that night the power steering went crazy!

If I were to turn the wheel, it would squeel, i would loose power steering and get it back. the steering would feel "notchy". I searched and everything points towards low fluid level and the belt.

the problems have gotten worse...its to the point where no matter what, when the car's sitting still...it does it. No matter how cold or warm it is outside or if the cars warmed up.

I checked the belt today and found this.

So obviously it has to be replaced. Where can I get a new belt? what kinda price am I looking at? me and a friend (mechanic) are gonna replace the belt so labors not an issue.

Are there any other things I should do while im at it? Should I replace the power steering fluid? it does look pretty brown and its at the lowest point in the tank.

If anyone has a link/scan to replacing the belt I'd appreciate it. also, any links to the "easiest" way to replace the fluid?

And how do I or can I check the power steering pump while its still on the car if its damaged?

thanks in advance.

-Alan
IIdiceII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2006, 09:43 PM   #2
Turn in Concepts
Former Vendor

Member#: 93646
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
Many Track Records
Let us help you go fast!

I'll try and help with your other questions later, but really quick - if your belts are going like that then strongly consider changing the radiator hoses if you have not done that recently.
Turn in Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
IIdiceII
Scooby Guru

good point^ Ill take a look at the hoses tomorrow. they seemed fine the last time I checked em out. I get paid on friday...so maybe ill have enough money for radiator hoses.

anyone, link to install of the radiator hoses
Old 12-12-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
UkNuck
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21808
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
02 GroceryGettAr
Nonemore Black

If your friend is a mechanic he should be able to work it out

Basically you just have to take of the accessory belt cover, loosen the locking bolt on the tensioner, slacken the tensioner and let the alternator drop down (may need to loosen the long horizontal bolt on the other side of the alternator).

That takes care of the alternator/PS belt. The a/c belt has a separate tensioner - slacken that and remove the belt. Sorry I don't have a pic of that handy.

For the fluid, the factory procedure is to drain at the rack but most people agree it is sufficient to draw out as much fluid as possible with a turkey baster and refill. You can always drive a little and repeat the procedure to get a little more fresh fluid in. Don't run the car with the reservoir low - if you draw air in it's a PITA to bleed out.
UkNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:39 PM   #5
IIdiceII
Scooby Guru

I searched and i think it was uncle scotty who said theres a return line on the resevoir that i can drain into a pan...And while turning the steering wheel lock to lock add new fluid and eventually you'll bleed out all the old fluid and the new fluid will start draining. then im done? seems pretty easy.

another question...should i replace both belts while im at it?

im thinking this...

-replace both belts
-power steering fluid (ATF)
-radiator hoses
-gonna have to flush the radiator if i do the hoses.

anything else or am i good?
Old 12-12-2006, 11:01 PM   #6
Tim Sanderson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6486
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
00 Impreza 2.5 RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

You have to cap the return line on the pump or it will drain out there instead of circulating through the rack. Don't hold it locked for long(more than a second or so) or you may blow the pump.
Tim Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #7
IIdiceII
Scooby Guru

yea just turn it to full lock and turn it to other side...I NEVER hold it at full lock...even for a second. I can hear the ps pump killin it self.

hows the radiator hose install? its it a pita? im searching right now for an install tutorial and cant find anything. help me out people!