Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
chocolate
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 296165
Default 04 wrx with 100k or sti with 200k for the same price?

I wanted everyone's thoughts. Both appear well maintained and mid 20s owned for the life of the car. Both don't appear neglected no oil or vacuum leaks and everything sounds and looks good and works. Should I get the Sti or is the wrx a better deal? I am looking at value. I am worried the Sti motor will need a replacement solely due to age which may cost 5000 or more.

Any thoughts?
chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Guzzi 1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338666
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2022 Crosstrek Ltd.
Magnetite Gray

A compression test will tell you a lot. You could have a dealer or such perform one. That should also be able to test the oil pressure. Usually there are parameters for that. These two items can tell you the overall health of the engines.

As for miles, has either one had the timing belt replaced? The rex is coming close if it has never been done (110,000 IIRC) The STI should have had one by now but who knows. I know it would cost you for some of this work, but knowing could save you many more bucks in the future.

What are they years of the two vehicles? What kind of climate have they spent their life in. Salt/winter stuff? Motors are a little easier to deal with than body work.

John
Guzzi 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
chocolate
Scooby Newbie

No compression checks but the wrx had belts tensions and water pump done at 75k and the Sti had the same twice and the last one at 160ish. Structurally both look clean no rust and are both California cars. Both car faxes are clean
Old 03-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
chocolate
Scooby Newbie

Both are 2004 models
Old 03-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
mheyman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 335612
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
05 STI
Black

If you are asking this question at all, then most likely the WRX is the better car for you regardless off the milage difference! I drove a 2004 WRX to 225K, though it started to cost money to maintain at 200K. I'm driving a 2005 STI. Its a brute and not a car I'd recommend to anyone who didn't specfically want it, and at 200K its hard to recommend any car unless you have expectations of doing significant in the near future.
mheyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
WillGeorge
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 339409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
CGM

Are you using the car as a daily driver? Or a track car? I'm gonna assume daily. Unless you wanna buy a new motor and do work to the car, I'd get the Wrx. 04 I assume they are priced around 10k in CA, I would find an 05 sti for like 14k with around or below 100k...
My .02
WillGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote