Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
jl_9k
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 59795
Default 2005 STi Transmission Fluid Change

I'm going to be doing a tranny oil change for my friend's 05 STi, and am wondering what type of drain plug it has. Does it need the T70 bit like the 5MT? The DIY threads in the FAQ for 6-speed all apply to the 5-speeds only. Also, is a flexible funnel required or will I be okay with a long plastic funnel? Will 4L of MTF be enough for the change? I'm going to assume the diff takes less than 1L.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jl_9k; 06-01-2009 at 04:31 PM.
jl_9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
lDeez lNutz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 94339
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi

recently did mine on my 05 sti, found that the T70 tool i bought was useless because the drain bolt used a regular hex nut, forgot what size, i want to say 14mm...

flexible funnel will be easier.

i used motul gear 300 and initially did not notice a difference, but after a few weeks i've noticed slightly better shifts.

ps - only use 6 point sockets as i nearly stripped my drain bolt with those multi point sockets.
lDeez lNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
CygnusPerformance
Former Vendor

Member#: 201606
Vehicle:
2013 STi Hatch
PBP

Subaru used a regular drain plug on the STIs until 07 when they switched the front plug to the T70 style plug. The rear plug on all models is a normal hex style plug.
CygnusPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote