Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 202554
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

Default Soccer05 Bugeye Street/Track Build- 2.5L, LIC, JRZ, MSI, Custom Carbon Widebody

So after a long long time planning and saving, saving and planning, I am ready to really jump head first into my bugeye build. The car starts as a 2003 Subaru WRX with the OEM 5 speed. I have always been a suspension junkie, and focus a ton of time and effort onto having a stable chassis. This is a budget build, and basically is the maximum you can take the stock block and heads. Unfortunately, it costs quite a bit more money to cure all the wrx's suspension geometry than my 240sx, so while the majority of the suspension arms are adjustable, I will not be doing adjustable hubs to truly cure the wrx's suspension geometry. Nonetheless, you can have a competitive, fast, fun car without making the 5 grand investment in hubs. This build will cover my complete suspension makeover on the car, as well as a very healthy power upgrade and light aerodynamic work. All work is being done by me, alone, in my garage. My goals are to create a stable, competent base for me to hone my driving skills at track days. This car is my dual purpose daily driver and weekend toy, so there is some balance to keep the car fun and fast on the canyon roads in California. This car will be an aggressive street tarmac car as well as a potent entry level track/hpde vehicle to hone my track skills with an awd platform.

The bugeye is very slightly modified in its current state, just enough to be a little fun on the streets. It currently has Whiteline front and rear 24mm adjustable swaybars, Whiteline HD Swaybar mount, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Hotchkis Front Adjustable Endlinks (Whiteline Spherical One seized and broke about a month ago), H&R Coilovers, Ground Control Front and Rear Camber Plates, Cusco Engine Mounts, Whiteline transmission X-member bushing, and Kartboy forward shifter bushing. The transformation these meager changes made gives me a lot of hope and excitement at the potential of this build.

Hopefully this thread will help others see what goes into a build as mild as a bolt on build, and give more respect for the custom fabrication that goes into full on track builds.

I would like to thank the following shops and people for taking time out of their busy schedules to help what is truly a budget street/track build- Noah and Adam at LIC motorsports, Raffi at Full Race motorsports, Robert Fuller at Robispec, Mark at MooreSport Inc, Mike Warfield at GST Motorsports, TH Motorsports, Topspeed Motorsports, Tony at Turn in Concepts, and boostjunkie of nasioc. All these people took extra time out of their busy schedules to help develop a proper parts and development plan to meet my performance goals, both immediately as well as allowing me to add on and not have to replace parts for my future goals. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my endless stream of questions, answering the effects of each part selection toasted my end goals, and putting other products/business projects on hold to take the time to help me reach my goals. The end result of this project and it's capabilities will be a result of the knowledge and firsthand experiences these people took the time to pass on to me. Thank you

Last edited by soccer05; 06-22-2015 at 07:23 PM.
soccer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

Default Soccer05 Bugeye Build Thread

First Comes the teardown. Due to the power goals and parts, much of the chassis and oem components must be removed. Here is a picture of the OEM engine Bay, this is the last time most of these components will be in here.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us'

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/i]

Last edited by soccer05; 08-13-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 AM   #3
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

Default Soccer05 Bugeye Build

Off come the OEM sideskirts, still deciding between some OEM STI sideskirts or a set of newer wrx sideskirts painted WRB to match the car. Still undecided, fortunately with a build of this magnitude I will have plenty of time to keep an eye out and decide. I know I want an oem subaru sideskirt, if anyone has pictures that look particularly functional go ahead and post a pic with year and model. Nothing aftermarket though, I would rather spend the budget somewhere other than sideskirts.

And off comes the front bumper and grill.

Test fitting the AMS Front Bumper Beam. This is a gorgeous part and bolts into the oem location, drops 20.5 pounds off the extreme nose of a front heavy car. Made of steel I love this part. A little bummed because while it fits perfectly, I now need to figure out a way to mount the bumper to the ams crash beam. The beastly OEM bumper beam has holes for the clips used to help postion the bumper and grill. Hope I can figure out a solution that will work for a daily driver, because I want to do everything I can to lighten the nose of this car up to aid in handling. We'll see what secrets LIC motorsports and Top Speed can figure out. Worse case scenario it'll be time for a jdm bumper beam. Lets hope not.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

Out comes the rear interior for suspension removal. Still deciding on whether to remove all the oem sound deadening. Need to find a paint that will prevent rusting for the life of the car, since there is no paint under the rubberized sound deadening. Going to swing by the paint shop tomorrow and ask for recommendations. Maybe POR-15? Anyone with experiences let me know.

picture of rear H&R coilover with Ground Control Spherical camber plate and Whiteline Rear Strut Tower Brace. Will be swapping the Whiteline piece out for a X-Brace from TIC. Thanks TIC for bringing the part back, and the endless customer support answering my insane amount of questions to get finalize the part list to achieve my power, chassis, and suspension goals both on the road and track. Anyone interested in a Whiteline Rear Strut Tower Brace in good condition shoot me a pm.

Pic of the rear suspension setup. Looking forward to replacing all the gushy rubber with spherical bearings, and nice strong lightweight aluminum suspension links. I absolutely loved the change links and sphericals did to my 240sx, I love the crisp and direct feeling of non compliant bushings.

Coilover dropped out of the way

Old 11-21-2011, 02:53 AM   #5
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

Front Coilovers dropped, brakes removed and awaiting gorgeous Stoptech 4 pot calipers and lightweight 2 piece rotors. Can't wait for the improved brake performance, as the oem brakes truly leave a lot to be desired.

Another view of the old oem rear suspension. Glad to bring some performance to the rear suspension

Here are some pics of the disassembled dampener assembly, eagerly awaiting a cleaning and regreasing from the dirt of daily driving duties. Even after countless tweaks on my suspension, I still get amazed at the lack of front suspension travel in comparison to the rears.

Close up pictures of my Ground Control Camber Plates. I absolutely love these, great build quality, great design and adjustability, plus the guys at Ground Control went above and beyond with their customer service and knowledge. Custom made to mount properly on my H&R struts. Only thing to be aware of, is Ground Control uses thinner wall Snap on sockets, and my Craftsman socket would not fit to attach the strut assembly. No worries, they're within driving distance and they did a little bit of machine work and now I can fit my socket perfect, just ask if you're on the phone so you don't waste time on your build. Thanks for the amazing product ground control and great customer service.

And top view of the rear camber plates by Ground Control. Love them, Can't speak highly enough about this product and the company.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:04 AM   #6
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

Front Body disassembly, making some progress and will give me more room to work. Removing the front fenders in anticipation of install of TIC Front Fender Braces. Removed the fenders so they brace can be welded in to maximize their effect, rather than rely solely on the bolt in method. Thanks for the great product TIC.

Look at those flimsy OEM pieces of noodle. TIC pieces just look and feel stiffer. Excited at the feel this will produce in the car.

Pulling out the trunk in preparation for the X brace.

Loosening the E Brake cables in the cabin, in preparation for pulling the rear hubs. Have to pull the rear hubs to have a spherical trailing arm mount bearing pressed into the hub. This bushing is disgustingly soft in the OEM form. Anyone that has replaced this bushing knows how important it is and how it improves handling and response. If you doubt me, take a jack under the car and jack up onder the point where the trailing arm attaches to the rear hub. You will notice just how high the jack compresses the bushing before the wheel starts moving up. This is undamped suspension travel that is the enemy of response and does not allow your suspension to be utilized to its dull potential.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:12 AM   #7
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

Driver Side Rear Hub removed without drama. Love it when things go like they're supposed to.

Passenger Side Hub was an absolute bear to take out. Axle had practically seized to the hub. The universal BFH did nothing to dislodge, had to go purchase a hub puller. Slowly, very slowly, the hub puller was able to seperate these two parts. First hiccup so far in the build, its funny how the simplest things can take a chunk of time. But at least its out and we are making progress.

Finally ..... Success and Seperation!!!!

Look at how the axle came out. Hasn't Subaru heard of lubing these parts to prevent corrosion and seizing. Oh well, can't really complain, this is my first real seizure so far, so its going quite well.

View of the engine bay prior to removing the downpipe from the turbo

Last edited by soccer05; 11-21-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:16 AM   #8
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

Dropping the exhaust from the car. Just washed off the APS 3 inch turbo back exhaust that will be going on the car. Can't wait to hear that thing scream campared to the restrictive, quiet, boring oem exhaust. Wish I could have gotten a titanium exhaust for the weight savings, but I'm not entirely sold on the longevity of titanium in a daily driven situation due to fatigue from the drastic heat cycles.

View of the turbo without the downpipe attached to the back

Last edited by soccer05; 11-21-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:41 AM   #9
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

View of the Hotchkis Adjustable front endlinks. These served me well as a daily driven endlink after my Whiteline Endlink failure and seizure. I was not overwhelmed with the longevity of the front endlink, who knows maybe it was a bad set. I know sphericals wear faster, but the set I have on my 240sx continues to go strong with quadruple the mileage. I have talked with Mark at MSI and will be using a set of his adjustable front spherical endlinks for the build. Can not wait for these, they look and sound amazing.

Dropping the OEM Cast Iron exhaust Manifolds, will be replaced with a Swaintech coated and wrapped Perrin Equal Length Header. To use this header on the ej205 you must upgrade to an STI oil pan. I used this as an opportunity to splurge and purchased a Killer Bee aluminum pan, windage tray, and pickup. Killer Bee is another amazing vendor, took tons of time to answer my questions and we both agreed for my goals his setup was far superior to others on the market. When the parts arrived, the look and finish of them is amazing. I will post pics shortly, just don't have them with me.

Picture of Front suspension disassembled. Front Ball joint and tie rod seperated and pulled.

View of the ball joint seat. Will be replacing with a Whiteline Roll Center Correction Kit Extended ball joint and tie rod ends. This car has lived solely in California, and still needds a little clean up work to make it perfect. I don't know how you east coasters work on cars with the salt and snow back there. I am so glad I moved back to California weather.

Rest of hub looks good. I will be replacing all the wheel bearings at this time, good preventative maintenance for this car in anticipation of high g loads from my massive sticky tires.

Picture of disassembled front suspension. Moving forward with disassembly.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:51 AM   #10
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

With the suspension completely disassembled, it is time tear into the engine bay disassembly. I am completely confident in the suspension arena, but am taking my time and marking everything in the engine bay to aid in reassembly. As I work full time and working on this out of my spare time, it can take a while before reassembly, and don't want to forget anything. Here is a final view with just the OEM TMIC removed.

Removing the OEM Turbo for a bigger, more aggressive unit. After much consultation with LIC Motorsports and Full Race I have decided to go with a Garrett GTX 3071 turbo for my horsepower goals. I really hope my transmission holds up until I can purchase a six speed and then I can take advantage of the diffs and stronger gears. I must say, for the amount of miles my car has the turbo looks amazing, practically zero oil, no shaft play, the oem unit sure is durable.

And the empty space waiting to be filled with a massive Garrett GTX 3071. I sure hope I didn't go too big, and that the superior aerodynamics and efficiency of the garret chra and ball bearing construction will keep me happy with its throttle response. I will be doing a few other things to attempt to minimize the lag and maximize my boost onset and throttle response. We will see, if its too laggy I guess I will have to upgrade to a 2.5 block when I do the transmission.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:03 AM   #11
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

Removal of turbo system as well as radiator. All hoses numbered to tagged to aid in reassembly.

Next is the removal of the intake manifold. I decided to remove the intake manifold, fuel rails, and tgv's as one piece, then disassemble on the bench. In its place will go APS TGV Deletes as well as an Aeromotive fuel system and Perrin 3 inch silicone inlet. Quite a few hoses and connectors to unhook, take your time and tag to aid in reassembly. I must say the engine bay is looking awfully pretty with everything removed and just the bare engine remaining. I am fighting the urge to throw pistons, headgaskets, and head studs on the ej205 even though I know it would be better invested in an ej257.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 AM   #12
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

Default Soccer05 Bugeye Build Thread

The pile of parts has finally reached the point I can begin reassembly.

APS TGV Deletes- Next step going to have to port match these to the intake manifold and cylinder head. Wish APS was still available here in the U.S. They make some high quality, functional, affordable parts.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #13
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

Relied heavily on advice from both LIC Motorsports and Full Race Motorsports. Many thanks to both Noah and Raffi for the time they took to come up with a system of parts to meet my track and tarmac goals.

Tial BOV- This unit reeks of quality. Amazing unit

And my centerpoint for power- an ATP GTX 3071 stock location turbocharger. I'm really excited with this turbo, due to the efficiency of the garrett dual ball bearing design and aerodynamics, is as big of a turbo as you can run while still having good throttle response and lag, while still making around 325 whp on a low reading dyno, hopefully higher. Turbo exhaust housing is Ceramic coating to aid in spool and reduce underhood temperatures. At the conclusion of this build after a protune I will post up pictures of the dyno graph for those that are interested or considering this turbo. Thank you raffi at full race motorsports.

And some ACT goodness to help harness all this power

Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 AM   #14
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

Top quality turboback 3" exhaust system by APS. Looking forward to experiencing the performance that APS brings to the table with their top quality parts.

Perrin Equal Length Header and APS Up-Pipe. Header, Up-Pipe, and Downpipe all received Swaintech White Lightning Ceramic coating to keep as much enthalpy in the exhaust gas as possible as well as control underhood temperatures. These parts will also be wrapped in DEI Titanium Exhaust wrap to maximize the effects, having to do everything possible to spool up this monster of a turbo with my measly lil 2 liter.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:32 AM   #15
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

Everyone who has driven the wrx in anger on track or even aggressively on the street knows how woefully inadequate the oem brake package is at stock power levels. With my drastically upgraded suspension and power levels, it would be foolish not to give stoptech a call and throw on a balanced big brake kit. I am looking forward to these, combined with stainless lines all around, stoptech pads front and rear, and motul fluid, to really throw me forward in my seat when I need the whoa pedal.

While I have the hubs off it is time to do some preventative maintenance in anticipation of the increased loads I will be putting the car through on and off track. Front and rear hubs received brand new wheel bearings courtesy of Subaru, and the soft, squishy OEM rear trailing link hub bushing was replaced with a spherical bearing for increased response. Anyone who wonders about this modification should slide a jack under their hub and start jacking up, the jack will move almost 3/4 of an inch before it moves the hub itself, squishy bushings are the enemy of response.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #16
soccer05
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza Wrx
Wrb

Some Love Packages from the good guys over at LIC Motorsports. Excellent shop, very knowledgeable group of guys that will take the time to sit down and discuss the goals of your project and come up with a list of parts that will meet you goals. And if you ever can't do the work yourself on the car these guys are as good as they come. Can't say enough good things about Noah and Adam at LIC.

Brand New OEM STI aluminum front control arm. I had the extended ball joints fron the Whiteline Roll Center Correction kit pressed in, as well as a set of spherical bearings for the forward bushing on the control arm. Purchased these high quality sealed, spherical bearings from Robert Fuller at Robispec. The control arm will be outfitted with the Whiteline ALK (Race version) pictured on the previous page when installed. Robispec has an amazing array of parts for the Subaru Market, much more than is on his website. Another mainstay of the industry that took time out of his busy day to not only get me set up with the correct setup, but also discussed rim sizes and offsets to maximize my contact patch with the least effect on my scrub radius. Can't say enough about Robert Fuller over at Robispec, thank you very much for both the parts and ideas.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #17
mrruins
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 41337
Vehicle:
2005 Toyota Tacoma

very detailed process. thumbs up sir.
mrruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #18
adizon
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 55718
Vehicle:
02 WRX sedan
PSM

subscribed!
adizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #19
shadowmd
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 193222
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
05 Wrx 1.5xtr 6spd
2.5 hybrid 367whp/363wtq

very nice build thread!
shadowmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #20
1VIPWRX
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 107554
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
03 03/07
yellow

sweet
1VIPWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #21
dball4
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 302918

Very nice
dball4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #22
Quadsbc
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 170415
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Hardware store
bumper clips, that is all

Wasnt shure what kinda build you were planning when I opened the thread. Guessed the normal stock to stage2ish. Glad your using high quality parts and going balls out. I got quite a lot into my wrx and in the whole 'stance' movement. With a motor build going now, Ive been debating going back to functional stance. I'd love to hear a review of the front control arm upgrade. It's one of the few things left in the suspention area to do.

keep up the good work. I'll be looking forward to your future posts.
Quadsbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #23
blakkboxer
Scooby Guru

Member#: 167244
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2k3 WRX MBP
Clean & Simple

interesting build. subscribed
blakkboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:58 AM   #24