Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-18-2001, 12:28 PM   #1
FirmWind
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 8276
Default Non-synthetic oil

I understand that there are arguments and disagreements over which synthetic to use. How about non-synthetic? I'm going in for my 3k oil change. Don't know if I should just let the dealer change with the oil they use, or bring my own oil. Does it make a real difference?
FirmWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2001, 02:15 PM   #2
Penphoe
Friendly Neighbourhood

Member#: 269
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2005 ABP LGT LTD BP6
00 Impreza RS GM6 RIP

Default Probably only difference...

$$$ - dealers (my dealer anywayz) charges MSRP for the oil they use when I take my car in for servicing. If you bring your own oil in, you save a bit of money.

LaterZ!
Darren!!
Penphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 02:21 PM   #3
Coati
Scooby Guru

Member#: 9106
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2015 FXT - DGM
2008 STI - Aspen White

If you're looking to supply your own dino (non-synth) oil to save dealer gouging, Castrol GTX is a pretty reputable brand.
Coati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 03:57 PM   #4
FirmWind
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 8276
Default Kendall motor oil?

Well, I decided to let the dealer use their own motor oil, since the cost difference would only be a couple bucks. They're using this brand called "Kendall motor oil." I've never heard of it before. The tech guy said he put in some 5w-30 for me (I live in VT). I asked him if I need to get some special oil for the turbo engine, he said nah, the 5w-30 will work fine.

So can anyone tell me about the quality of Kendall motor oil?
FirmWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 11:17 PM   #5
vvk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 6436
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza 2.5RS
BDP

Default Re: Kendall motor oil?

Kendall is a good brand. They are one of the oldest motor oil producers. They are based in Philly (just like Subaru )

I think 5W-30 is the proper weight for your turbo engine, unless you drive to Florida in the summer. Then I would use something a little heavier, like 15W-40. Better yet, use 5W-30 synthetic. Kendall or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally posted by FirmWind
Well, I decided to let the dealer use their own motor oil, since the cost difference would only be a couple bucks. They're using this brand called "Kendall motor oil." I've never heard of it before. The tech guy said he put in some 5w-30 for me (I live in VT). I asked him if I need to get some special oil for the turbo engine, he said nah, the 5w-30 will work fine.

So can anyone tell me about the quality of Kendall motor oil?
vvk is offline   Reply With Quote