Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
SebassScoobie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 222428
Vehicle:
2004 wrx
mmmm java

Question 04 WRX bad stock tune? Logs, Learning View Inside

2004 WRX
81,xxx miles.
Autospeed catback exhaust
Everything else is completely stock.
Shell vpower 93 (occasional citgo 93)
Stock tune, stock bcs
, Stock everything except for catback lol

So I bought my car in June of this year and everything was great! Then maybe 2 months after I was just doing a 2nd gear pull (I dont beat on my car lol) and around 5500-6000 the car jerked forward and hesitated really bad. I immediately got off the throttle and from that moment on it never really felt the same. Its never hesitated like that one time but I can tell she isnt running perfect and my gas mileage went down the drain. It even came to the point that half a tank was getting me roughly 100miles without any spirited driving.

Fast forward I figured id get a smoke test. Boom found a leak on the breather hose that leads to my turbo inlet. That was fixed and and the ecu was reset and all seemed great. Gas mileage improved. The hesitation feeling went away. The "bottle necking" or loss of power I experienced from 3000+ rpms was gone. and it pulled like I knew it should, although occasionally it felt like the the car would pull harder once hitting certain rpms while in boost but everything else was great.

After about 500ish maybe 700ish miles after the reset, it was back. =( all the symptoms I explained earlier, and the worst part it is the car decides when it was to run like this. One day its perfect the other day its all the symptoms, which can be heard shifts due to car running weird, rpms jump maybe 500rpms inbetween shifts, around 3000+ rpms car feels like its "struggling" to go or "bottle necking" (if that even makes sense lol) and the gas mileage issue is back. SOOOOOO here are some logs and learning view.

Btw I plan to get a compression check and leak down test done soon, and also change my plugs since who knows when the last time the previous owner changed them.

**These logs are from last night after resetting my ecu and doing about 5 3rd gear pulls before beginning my logs.

3rd gear logs.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...PRWJTdUE#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...XNFdZRXc#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2S2VQb2c#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...xSjItRFE#gid=0

Just driving
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...CVlVHTVE#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...zd2FYcmc#gid=0

SebassScoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
D0nets
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 129746
Vehicle:
2007 stg3 WRX
WR Blue

Did you get a CEL when the car jerked forward? Sounds to me like the car went into failsafe which explains the ****ty driveability and loss in mpg's. The learning view looks fine other than the D range leaning out.

Last edited by D0nets; 11-02-2011 at 09:58 PM.
D0nets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
SebassScoobie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 wrx
mmmm java

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0nets View Post
Did you get a CEL when the car jerked forward? Sounds to me like the car went into failsafe which explains the ****ty drive ability and loss in mpg's. The learning view looks fine other than the D range leaning out.
Nope no cel. This learning view is after the reset ecu. the Learning view from before was much more messy. as well as the one log i was able to do before my computer went on a fritz.

3rd gear pull
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1dFZVM1E#gid=0

Old 11-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Member#: 36033
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

if you have -5*'s like that....you shouldnt keep resetting the ECU...you're gonna knock your car to death. you need to take some timing out up there....
Phatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
SebassScoobie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 wrx
mmmm java

Are you talking about the current log or the one from before the reset? ....I'm trying to figure out if my stock tune is the cause of the advanced timing.....or if maybe its being caused by another issue like my wastegate or bcs, or if I may have a leak somewhere.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

im talkin about the one that has -5* FLKC in it....

Your AF corrections dont show any signs of a leak.

If you car pulls 5* of timing...and learns it....and you reset the ecu...it unlearns it. Then when you go WOT again, you'll knock -5*.....so if you keep resetting the ecu, it will keep happening....if you dont reset the ecu, the ecu will keep pulling that 5* pre-emptively.

the stock mapping sucks balls........its basically made for 95-100oct.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
D0nets
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 129746
Vehicle:
2007 stg3 WRX
WR Blue

Yea that learning view looks no bueno. I would recommend slapping a downpipe on and flashing a stg 2 rom. Like Phatron said, for now, dont reset the ECU, let it keep that 5 degrees pulled.
D0nets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
SebassScoobie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 wrx
mmmm java

i should be picking up a downpipe today but im just wondering if the total timing being so high can be the cause of my car feeling like its at a loss of power and be the reason for it driving like poop or if i should be looking for another mechanical issue
Old 11-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

well your LV doesnt show signs of a leak......with -5* in a LV like that you may wanna do a compression check.

if the comp check is good then change your spark plugs, change your oil (shell rotella t6 is good stuff), and get tuned. It should feel like a whole different animal.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
SebassScoobie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 wrx
mmmm java

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatron View Post
well your LV doesnt show signs of a leak......with -5* in a LV like that you may wanna do a compression check.

if the comp check is good then change your spark plugs, change your oil (shell rotella t6 is good stuff), and get tuned. It should feel like a whole different animal.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

Those are the most recent logs and learning view.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
SebassScoobie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 wrx
mmmm java

gunna be checking compression in a week or so and will be changing plugs at the same time.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
SebassScoobie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 wrx
mmmm java

also I was wondering if its possible my BCS is bad. Reason I ask is because in test mode I dont hear it clicking open and closed but my logs show a manifold pressure at levels around ~13-14psi, so is it possible for the bcs to be not working and those levels stay the same or would I only be hitting wastegate pressure if the bcs was bad~8-10lbs?
Old 11-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
SebassScoobie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 wrx
mmmm java

So rather than starting a new thread I figured I might as well bring my old thread back from the dead seeing as how I havent corrected my issue.

As an update,
-compression check was done a while back and everything was within spec.
-Uppipe was replaced with 06+ sti catless uppipe.
-plugs where changed with NGK iridiums gapped to spec also.
-Replaced my BCS with another one
-cleaned my MAF sensor and even tried swapping with a friends.
-Boost gauge was purchased and I hit 1 bar in 3rd gear but the delivery of the power isnt there the way it should be and I dont see full boost until 3500/4000rpms
-its still jerky under certain situations and gas mileage is terrible. after about half a tank i got around 80 miles, thats noooo spirited driving at all!
-checked for boost leaks a while back and found 2 but those were fixed. (unless there is still a leak somehow).
-figured id post another learning view from today.

HELP PLEASE! not even sure what to check anymore
Old 11-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
SebassScoobie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 wrx
mmmm java

Old 11-23-2013, 04:01 AM   #15
WRXmeinMD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 354904
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
03 Wrx
MBP

o2 sensors? Front and rear log them... What about boost leak testing the injector seals? Im having similar issues and when I changed mine (3 leaking) it made a difference. Just a thought, im no tuner so the #'s don't mean much to me. At least your IAM hasn't dropped.
WRXmeinMD is offline   Reply With Quote