Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Other Engine Management

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-30-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
robinbrd311
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 212207
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX
Java Black Pearl

Default Advice Needed for a recent problem with turbo

A few months ago I had to get my maf sensor retuned be cause there was a System Too Lean engine light and the car would knock around 4-6k rpm because the MAF sensor was not working correctly. The Dent Sports Garage in MA simply retuned the sensor and it worked properly up til now.

I drove my car to NY, a 3 hour drive, and it worked fine. On the way back I was accelerating quickly after a toll and the car lagged in each gear around the higher rpms. Every time after that when I had to accelerate to highway speed from a stop the same thing would happen but worse. When I got home the car was in the condition where if I started from first and floored it it would go to a bout 4 or 5k rpm then either stop there or knock and lag a lot and the engine light would flash until I shifted, and the same thing would happen in 2nd gear. (Didn't get to 3rd gear on my street)

I am guessing it is a problem with the MAF sensor again but before I go in and pay for them to work on it I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this.

2004 WRX, Cobb short ram intake, turbo XS front mount intercooler, one step colder spark plugs, tuned at dent sport 15psi boost
robinbrd311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Benchmark Tuning
Former Vendor

Member#: 154444
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2008 08 STi, Typhoon
06 STi, 847-960-8676

There are quite a few things that can make the car throw a lean code, but if you CEL is flashing that means the ECU is seeing knock. If thats the case sounds like you have a problem, whether it's mechanical or tune related.

There are a few things you can check mechanically to make sure the car is good, I usually recommned doing that to make sure the car is solid before trying to use a tune to compensate for a mechanical problem.

The turbo inlet is a common failure, it usually rips and gets torn i'd check that as one of the first things. If that isn't it, double check your knock senor, make sure your intercooler and pipes are tight as well.
Benchmark Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote