Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-16-2003, 10:12 PM   #1
jay2theb
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 37568
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan
WRB

Default I think I have a coolant leak :(

I checked the coolant level today and it was below "low". I've only had the car 5 months so this seems strange to me. I did put the STi radiator cap on, but that's it so far as far as mods go. Can this cause a leak that I think is happening? Another thing, I hit a deer about a month ago, and it did about 5k worth of damage, messing up the front passanger side of the car. I got it all repaired and the shop didn't see any engine damage. Is it possible the radiator itself took some damage and is leaking very slowly?

PS: not sure if the deer died as I drove back to the "scene" and the deer was gone! I hit it doing 45mph too so if it did survive it probably wasn't for long. I'm hoping it died, or a wolf or coyote got it
jay2theb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2003, 10:31 PM   #2
cnk
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10757
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
DGM

I would take it back to the shop that did the repair work and have them look at it again. Most likely, they missed something. They should be able to fix it and send in the repair fee to your insurance company as an addendum. As for the STi cap, you don't really need it and in some cases, it can be detrimental as it can hold a lot more pressure than the stock cap. Unless you're running mods to justify using it, I would switch back to the stock cap.

Calvin
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 10:39 PM   #3
jay2theb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan
WRB

The cap makes me wonder though because Subaru now offers it as a "performance part". They don't sell any other mods in their catalogue that says they require the cap... therefore it seems like it's perfectly safe to use.

I'd take it to the body shop but my car is under warrenty and my dealership shoudl be able to fix it. I'll let them deal with it and I'll be happy as long as I get a loaner (no rental car reimbursement through my insurance).
Old 08-16-2003, 10:47 PM   #4
cnk
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
DGM

The car was under warranty, but only for whatever is still in original condition. Depending on the dealership, if they look up the car's history and see that it was in a front end collision, they may refuse to fix it and tell you to go through your insurance company anyways.

Calvin
Old 08-16-2003, 11:02 PM   #5
jay2theb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan
WRB

Well there are no visible signs of a leak per se... no dripping on pavement or anything. Maybe it's just low for no reason? What kind of coolant should I put in it, does it matter?

thanks for your help so far
Old 08-16-2003, 11:05 PM   #6
cnk
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
DGM

If you're looking at the resevoir, it can sometimes show low after you run the car, but will fill up when the coolant drains out of the system. Just pick up a jug of coolant from the dealership and mix it with distilled water (50/50 ratio).

Calvin
Old 08-17-2003, 09:21 AM   #7
Austin
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7089
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2016 STi

Quote:
Originally posted by jay2theb
The cap makes me wonder though because Subaru now offers it as a "performance part". They don't sell any other mods in their catalogue that says they require the cap... therefore it seems like it's perfectly safe to use.
You assume it's safe because of words that don't appear in their catalog?!?

Wow, I can't quite see how you've made that jump...

Doubtful you'll still be singing that song if/when one of your endtanks pops off...
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 12:32 PM   #8
armand1
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10309
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
'02 OBS 2-tone!
White

Come on Austin, just think of it as jay2theb having continuous "pressure testing" of his cooling system.

jay, before you take it in, try filling the overflow tank to "full" or a bit higher with 50:50 Subaru coolant:water. Check the level before you start the car at least once a day for the next week or 10 days to see if the level goes down, and whether it goes down steadily or in a big jump.
armand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 09:52 PM   #9
jay2theb
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan
WRB

Yeah, heh, heh... real funny, pressure testing...

Anyhow, I took the damn thing off my car and am going to sell it. Thanks for the replies and advice.