Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
ajmillan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 298536
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 STI
Satin white

Default 2011 wrx stage 2 catless log

Recently went stage 2 on my 2011 wrx hatch wanted some opinions on whether the car is running fine or not.

Parts:
Invidia Q300 catback
Invidia Catless DP w/ extra O2 bung
Cobb SF Intake
Cobb Accessport with "stage 2 SLWG" 93 octane map

Log:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...k1JeEtqWHJsUUE
ajmillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
11SubieWRX4D
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 264443
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan Stg 2
OBP

hmm, seems to be low on boost. Target i believe is 17-18psi. Is this normal wastegate?
11SubieWRX4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmillan View Post
Recently went stage 2 on my 2011 wrx hatch wanted some opinions on whether the car is running fine or not.

Parts:
Invidia Q300 catback
Invidia Catless DP w/ extra O2 bung
Cobb SF Intake
Cobb Accessport with "stage 2 SLWG" 93 octane map

Log:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...k1JeEtqWHJsUUE
Log looks good, but you are underboosting a good amount. You have to be careful with a catless DP, however, as colder temps could cause you to overboost, even though it is not a problem now. So, while you could run the high wastegate (HWG) map now (available in the maps section at cobbtuning.com), it may not be good idea if the weather turns much colder (or at least you should monitor the tune carefully via data logging).

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:56 AM   #4
ajmillan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI
Satin white

Yes i was just worried since my mechanical spt boost gauge shows higher pressures, but i was told it is not accurate since the spring. This log was taken when it was 76 degrees outside should i move up to maybe low wastegate? I had it on low wastegate at first but would hear a fluttering noise when on fifth gear at WOT, definitely wasn't the BOV came from the right side maybe the wastegate?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
ajmillan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI
Satin white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
Log looks good, but you are underboosting a good amount. You have to be careful with a catless DP, however, as colder temps could cause you to overboost, even though it is not a problem now. So, while you could run the high wastegate (HWG) map now (available in the maps section at cobbtuning.com), it may not be good idea if the weather turns much colder (or at least you should monitor the tune carefully via data logging).

Bill

Yes i was just worried since my mechanical spt boost gauge shows higher pressures, but i was told it is not accurate since the spring. This log was taken when it was 76 degrees outside should i move up to maybe low wastegate? I had it on low wastegate at first but would hear a fluttering noise when on fifth gear at WOT, definitely wasn't the BOV came from the right side maybe the wastegate?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 AM   #6
ajmillan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI
Satin white

Wrong log was posted that was at stage 1 +SF when i had to go to HWG map.

This is the correct log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...GdCdDhCdGVhZHc
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Wrong log was posted that was at stage 1 +SF when i had to go to HWG map.

This is the correct log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...GdCdDhCdGVhZHc
I'm not sure I understand which map was run with the first log and which map was run with this second log. The second log looks like you may be seeing boost creep at higher RPM. What was the outside temperature difference between first and second log? HWG maps are maps you run when you are underboosting (with the normal wastegate map), while LWG maps are those you run when you are underboosting (with normal wastgate map). SLWG is the map you run when you are overboosting with LWG map.

Bill
Old 01-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
ajmillan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI
Satin white

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand which map was run with the first log and which map was run with this second log. The second log looks like you may be seeing boost creep at higher RPM. What was the outside temperature difference between first and second log? HWG maps are maps you run when you are underboosting (with the normal wastegate map), while LWG maps are those you run when you are underboosting (with normal wastgate map). SLWG is the map you run when you are overboosting with LWG map.

Bill
The second log is the one I meant to post at first. Disregard the first log I have been talking about the second log but posted that first one by accident
Old 01-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
The second log is the one I meant to post at first. Disregard the first log I have been talking about the second log but posted that first one by accident
I think I am even more confused.

Which log would you like me to look at (first or second log you posted)? What map are you running with that log? What is the outside temp (approximately) when you took that log?

EDIT: Typo on what I posted before "...while LWG maps are those you run when you are overboosting..."

Bill
Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #10
ajmillan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI
Satin white

Quote:
I think I am even more confused.

Which log would you like me to look at (first or second log you posted)? What map are you running with that log? What is the outside temp (approximately) when you took that log?

EDIT: Typo on what I posted before "...while LWG maps are those you run when you are overboosting..."

Bill
take a look at the last log i posted not the first one i posted. It was about 80 degrees outside. Running Stage 2 +SF SLWG map. 93 octane

You could also take a look at these 3 logs i took today,running the same map and about 76 degrees at night. Boost seems so inconsistent sometimes doesn't reach target sometimes it does, and sometimes in 4th gear it goes to 19.5 psi

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B0...E1S0ZsYXc/edit

Last edited by ajmillan; 01-17-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
take a look at the last log i posted not the first one i posted. It was about 80 degrees outside. Running Stage 2 +SF SLWG map. 93 octane

You could also take a look at these 3 logs i took today,running the same map and about 76 degrees at night. Boost seems so inconsistent sometimes doesn't reach target sometimes it does, and sometimes in 4th gear it goes to 19.5 psi

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B0...E1S0ZsYXc/edit
You definitely appear to be suffering from boost creep (boost is not tapering enough at high RPM). Unfortunately, you have the "perfect storm" for potential boost creep -> GR WRX, catless DP, and intake. The catless DP is a big one, which is why we don't recommend them on these cars. Your temps are pretty mild and this problem could only get worse with colder temps. Some options:

1. You can do a pull with the fuel economy +SF map. This will disable boost control and tell you if you can mitigate the overboost somewhat at 0% WGDC. Do a few pulls to high RPM (if you can do so safely) and we will get a better idea. If it does help quite a bit, then it means that some tweaks to the tune could mitigate the overboost somewhat at least at the current temps you are seeing.

2. If #1 doesn't help, then you must do something on the mechanical end. Examples would include: 1. put a catted downpipe on car 2. port wastegate + custom tune 3. external wastgate + custom tune. #1 is not guarantee that you won't still see boost creep but the chance are significantly reduced.

Bill
Old 01-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
ajmillan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI
Satin white

Quote:
You definitely appear to be suffering from boost creep (boost is not tapering enough at high RPM). Unfortunately, you have the "perfect storm" for potential boost creep -> GR WRX, catless DP, and intake. The catless DP is a big one, which is why we don't recommend them on these cars. Your temps are pretty mild and this problem could only get worse with colder temps. Some options:

1. You can do a pull with the fuel economy +SF map. This will disable boost control and tell you if you can mitigate the overboost somewhat at 0% WGDC. Do a few pulls to high RPM (if you can do so safely) and we will get a better idea. If it does help quite a bit, then it means that some tweaks to the tune could mitigate the overboost somewhat at least at the current temps you are seeing.

2. If #1 doesn't help, then you must do something on the mechanical end. Examples would include: 1. put a catted downpipe on car 2. port wastegate + custom tune 3. external wastgate + custom tune. #1 is not guarantee that you won't still see boost creep but the chance are significantly reduced.

Bill
I had understood that the fuel economy map was not meant for spirited driving will that mess anything up? I also took another log today since it is 61 degrees outside and figured i would see some creep so here it is running same map as before:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EMyZUxnZW93eXc
Old 01-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
I had understood that the fuel economy map was not meant for spirited driving will that mess anything up? I also took another log today since it is 61 degrees outside and figured i would see some creep so here it is running same map as before:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EMyZUxnZW93eXc
How cold does it get in your area during the winter or what is the coldest conditions you would be driving the car? Right now, the problem is not excessive, but my concern would be what happens when it gets much colder. You are overboosting at higher RPM compared to what the ECU wants to run, for sure, but the ECU is able to moderate it some. The run on the fuel economy map (make sure you run the +SF version of the fuel economy map available at cobbtuning.com) will disable boost control and tell us if this overboost is potentially controllable or not. The fuel economy map is not a performance map and actually, at WOT, it would be less performance than the factory map. But, it is perfectly fine to do a full WOT pulls with it (if you can do so safely).

Bill
Old 01-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
ajmillan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI
Satin white

Quote:
How cold does it get in your area during the winter or what is the coldest conditions you would be driving the car? Right now, the problem is not excessive, but my concern would be what happens when it gets much colder. You are overboosting at higher RPM compared to what the ECU wants to run, for sure, but the ECU is able to moderate it some. The run on the fuel economy map (make sure you run the +SF version of the fuel economy map available at cobbtuning.com) will disable boost control and tell us if this overboost is potentially controllable or not. The fuel economy map is not a performance map and actually, at WOT, it would be less performance than the factory map. But, it is perfectly fine to do a full WOT pulls with it (if you can do so safely).

Bill
Coldest it gets around here is 50 degrees, but i won't be seeing those temps in a long time.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Coldest it gets around here is 50 degrees, but i won't be seeing those temps in a long time.
Well, you might be fine then. Add injector duty cycle to your future data logs so we can make sure you are not running out of injector. I would go ahead and do the fuel economy run.

Bill
Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #16
ajmillan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI
Satin white

So why exactly is it bad to drive spiritedly with fuel economy map then can I have that map on fpr city driving?
Old 01-19-2013, 03:05 AM   #17
ajmillan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI
Satin white

Quote:
Well, you might be fine then. Add injector duty cycle to your future data logs so we can make sure you are not running out of injector. I would go ahead and do the fuel economy run.

Bill
Here is the fuel economy run log:
Let me know what you think and if a pro tune can sort out the issue.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...zFHTHVKcjU4TkE
Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Here is the fuel economy run log:
Let me know what you think and if a pro tune can sort out the issue.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...zFHTHVKcjU4TkE
Run is not at a high enough RPM to definitely make a determination, but it does look like it starts to creep near when you stopped the log. If you can do so safely, try getting a run to near redline on the fuel economy map.

Bill
Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #19
ajmillan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI
Satin white

Quote:
Run is not at a high enough RPM to definitely make a determination, but it does look like it starts to creep near when you stopped the log. If you can do so safely, try getting a run to near redline on the fuel economy map.

Bill
The economy map has a rev limiter at 5400 rpm how am I supposed to go to redline?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
The economy map has a rev limiter at 5400 rpm how am I supposed to go to redline?
Sorry about that - I didn't realize we did that on some of these maps.

We'll need to modify the non-fuel economy map via AccessTUNER Race software. This is easy to do, but it is up to you if you want to give this a try. If you do, first thing is you'll need to request a copy of the AccessTUNER Race software here:
http://www.cobbtuning.com/accesstune...st-s/70716.htm

Once you are emailed a copy of the link to the download, then install it on your computer and we'll go from there.

Bill
Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #21
ajmillan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI
Satin white

Quote:
Sorry about that - I didn't realize we did that on some of these maps.

We'll need to modify the non-fuel economy map via AccessTUNER Race software. This is easy to do, but it is up to you if you want to give this a try. If you do, first thing is you'll need to request a copy of the AccessTUNER Race software here:
http://www.cobbtuning.com/accesstune...st-s/70716.htm

Once you are emailed a copy of the link to the download, then install it on your computer and we'll go from there.

Bill
I will be putting up 2 logs soon with the stock intake back on and running normal wastegate stage 2 and low wastegate stage 2, also did you take a look at the injector duty cycle I included in my last log?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #22
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
I will be putting up 2 logs soon with the stock intake back on and running normal wastegate stage 2 and low wastegate stage 2, also did you take a look at the injector duty cycle I included in my last log?
Yes, IDC gets as high as 100% during the WOT run, but otherwise is 94% or less. We need to see what it looks like at high RPM, though. I would not do any more pulls except on the new 0% WGDC map we are going to create with ATR. Looking at your last log, I suspect that this is going to be un-tunable, but we need a 0% wgdc log at higher RPM to be sure.

Bill
Old 01-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #23
ajmillan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI
Satin white

Quote:
Yes, IDC gets as high as 100% during the WOT run, but otherwise is 94% or less. We need to see what it looks like at high RPM, though. I would not do any more pulls except on the new 0% WGDC map we are going to create with ATR. Looking at your last log, I suspect that this is going to be un-tunable, but we need a 0% wgdc log at higher RPM to be sure.

Bill
Here is the log with stock intake Stage 2 Normal Wastegate:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VBzZWNaRnQ4dkE

I also already have the Accesstuner software, how will we go about making this economy map?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #24
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Here is the log with stock intake Stage 2 Normal Wastegate:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VBzZWNaRnQ4dkE

I also already have the Accesstuner software, how will we go about making this economy map?
You won't be making an economy map per-se, you will be modifying the Stage 2 +SF map. Open that map in ATR (doesn't matter which wastegate map it is - SLWG that you used last will be fine). Go to Boost Control Tables -> Wastegate Duty and select the "Wastegate Duty Cycles (High)" table. Select the entire table with your mouse, hit "E" for edit, and enter 0. The entire wgdc portion of the table, should show zero. Save that map (with a unique name) and then transfer it to the AccessPORT and reflash it to the car. If all of this is done correctly, then it will show 0% "Wastegate Duty" monitor all the time, even at WOT. Get a run to high RPM (if you can do so safely) with this new map.

Bill
Old 01-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
ajmillan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 STI
Satin white

Quote:
You won't be making an economy map per-se, you will be modifying the Stage 2 +SF map. Open that map in ATR (doesn't matter which wastegate map it is - SLWG that you used last will be fine). Go to Boost Control Tables -> Wastegate Duty and select the "Wastegate Duty Cycles (High)" table. Select the entire table with your mouse, hit "E" for edit, and enter 0. The entire wgdc portion of the table, should show zero. Save that map (with a unique name) and then transfer it to the AccessPORT and reflash it to the car. If all of this is done correctly, then it will show 0% "Wastegate Duty" monitor all the time, even at WOT. Get a run to high RPM (if you can do so safely) with this new map.

Bill
Well I have the stock intake back on so I will be modifying the Stage 2 93 octane normal wastegate map if thats okay.