Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
jsquared
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 212052
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2005 STi
OBP

Question '05 STI w/ AP v1, CEL reset then weirdness, need help

Good evening, need a hand with an issue I had this past weekend. My computer died on me about three weeks ago, so I haven't been able to post/search here much or get background info/manuals for my Scooby and some of its related mods.

Background info: recently (late May) purchased STIeric's 2005 STI from his for sale thread here on NASIOC. Lots of nice parts, well-tuned, etc. Blouch Dom3 (18-ish psi), K&N intake, Perrin 850cc/min setup, FMIC, AccessPort v1 (giant block with serial port), TGV deletes, headers/uppipe/downpipe/catless exhaust, light flywheel, Ingersoll-Rand solenoid for boost control (appears wired into factory harness, looks like the one Perrin uses)... that's about all I can remember at the moment that affects the tuning. Took it to the Tail of the Dragon the weekend after purchase (ZDayz was that weekend, coincidentally, so I took the STI instead of the S2000 ). It threw a CEL during some spiriting driving, engine still ran great, pulled hard, etc, went back to the cabins to scan w/ OBDII tool. Showed the Cyl1 misfire code, which I've read will happen occasionally to light-flywheel cars. Reset the code, idle was a bit goofy when I restarted, but it settled down after about 5 mins of idling, did the "quick ignition-timing-learn" trick, car ran perfect afterwards.

What happened: Fast forward about 5 weeks to this past weekend. Was down in FL, put a tank of "Gate"-brand 93-octane in the car, ran it enthusiastically for a minute or so, it threw a CEL. Still ran fine, no hesitation/stumbling/etc and I assumed it was the Cyl1 misfire again. Get home, plug in AccessPort, read codes, gives me Cyl1 misfire, Cyl3 misfire, and a ????? code. It was night, so I went to bed since I was done driving. Next morning, reset ECU codes with the AP. Idle was a little wonky at first but I chalked it up to the ECU relearning. Drove it normal to get home (I-95), got to some construction related traffic, push in clutch as the engine slows to just under 2,000rpm... engine stalls. Restart engine by letting clutch out, throw on hazards, pull to shoulder. Go to neutral, idle is wobbly, then the green "rear" light on the DCCD stack starts blinking. No CEL, never touched the DCCD buttons. Turn car off, check under hood and rear diff to make sure nothing is unplugged/leaking/etc. Turn ignition on, still no CEL, no weird blinky DCCD light. Turn the DCCD to manual, scroll through the lights, all seems normal, go back to DCCD Auto. Idle is a little stumbly. Put it in gear, drive away. Still no CEL. Clutch in while rolling, nearly stalls, idle very stumbly.

Pull off at next exit to gas station, idle is wacky. Turn engine off. Plug in AP, check for codes. No codes. Re-load the map the car was using (prev owner had a few maps stored in memory, I re-loaded the up-to-date map, which had idled great and ran factory-smooth, with full boost at 18-19psi and a bang-on 12:1 AFR on the dyno graph he gave me). Car starts, idle still wacky. Let it idle for about 5 mins, gets a little better. Go to leave gas station. Stall it in 1st gear due to driver error Start it back up, get on road, seems OK, so I try a power pull on the onramp, 2nd/3rd. Feels a bit weak, boost gauge says I'm only hitting about 14 psi (yay for BAR and on-the-fly approxi-math). WTF? Got home, checked the vacuum lines, checked that the AP v1 says the proper base map is loaded. Still idles retarded about 50% of the time and will not boost beyond about 14.5psi. Normal driving is fine, under WOT it pulls smoothly, just feels weaker (I'm guessing due to the reduced boost, not sure if it's pulling timing or not).

Help: Since my computer is kaput, I haven't been able to download the AccessPort user's manual (not sure if I can even find one now since I've got the old-Nintendo-controller v1), nor have I been able to get hold of the factory service manual (or relevant pages). I've read the CobbTuning tech page and the unabomber FAQ regarding boost control, but it doesn't really give me any ideas as to what to check. That solenoid is still clicking away (it's REALLY LOUD) and it's "intercept" style to use a term I've seen here (single line direct from compressor outlet to solenoid, then single line direct to wastegate actuator), so it appears to still be under the ECU's control. Not having access to the actual program for the AP to check the map(s) I can't really diagnose from there, and being in the SC boonies I'm a bit far from any Cobb ProTuner shops or AWD dynos. I would think that if I had triggered the lots-o-knock reduced boost map, that the ECU reset would have put it back to normal, but that still doesn't explain the weird DCCD light apparition. Did I trigger some ECU signal I don't know about, or could it have been stray voltage somewhere that arsed-up my electronics? Or does clearing a CEL with the old AP change things more than clearing it with a generic OBDII tool? I don't think old spark plugs would throw the code and cause this bad an idle problem... and it wouldn't explain the boost issue. Bad grounds? It's an '05 with 59,500 miles and a clean engine bay, so I wouldn't expect that, and I didn't see any vacuum lines awry or wiring harness issues with a cursory visual inspection.

Pictures:

boost control solenoid:

the light that came on and was blinking (this pic was after I got home, turned the DCCD on to show which light was blinking):

Sorry for the n00bish questioning, but it's my first Subaru (used to mainly Nissans and Porsches, and some Audis) and I've spent about an hour and a half at my buddy's house hijacking his computer to try to find info to help with this, and i think I need to leave soon Haven't had to deal with OBDII stuff on most of the other cars I've had.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited by jsquared; 07-22-2009 at 08:39 PM.
jsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
jsquared
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 212052
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2005 STi
OBP

OK, it did the DCCD light thing yesterday (similar scenario, stalled when clutch pressed, restarted on the roll w/ clutch), so I am assuming that is the drivetrain's way of telling me "don't do that again, stupid!"

I still haven't been able to solve the boost control and idle issue. Cold starts (and warm re-starts) it idles fine, but it tends to get all wonky when I decelerate to a stop. Boost is still stuck at 14psi. The solenoid noise changed... before, it would click any time the throttle was touched, until about 1 sec after I came off the throttle completely. Now it stops clicking immediately after the throttle is released.

This morning, I put it in "test" mode, reloaded an old map, took it out of "test" mode, started it. Shut it off, "test" mode, reload the up-to-date map, took out of "test" mode, started and drove it. No change. Anyone out there with any advice? I'd like to solve this without having to drive three or four hours to an AccessTuner with an AWD dyno and drop who knows how much on dyno time to re-do the maps on my AP v1...

NOTE could a moderator shift this to the AccessPort section under Engine Management, please? Was posting this from a friend's computer and it was acting up, didn't get into the correct sub-forum when I re-typed it.

Last edited by jsquared; 07-24-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: annoyed
jsquared is offline   Reply With Quote