Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
hulkSTi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 96355
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2005 STi
OBP

Default p2096

got the cel p2096 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1

how do i fix this?

thanks for any help
hulkSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
ase05scooby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 103710
Vehicle:
05 impreza wrx
red

Any mods done to the car.Could be several things Your rear oxygen sensor,mass air flow sensor, air intake temp sensor or coolant temp sensor.Take it to a shop and have them checks the values of the sensors compared to their actual values.

Last edited by ase05scooby; 11-08-2006 at 10:03 PM.
ase05scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:41 PM   #3
North Ursalia
Miss You Mom
Oct 1940 - Feb 2008

Super Moderator

Member#: 809
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS, '14 For
92 5MT SVX

I'd check the code again- it doesn't come up at all that I can find.

Brian
North Ursalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
badtaste
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 116636
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 impreza
black

possibal bad converter
badtaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
hulkSTi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STi
OBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtaste View Post
possibal bad converter
converter?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

According to my '05 FSM....there are 12 steps---3 full pages of diagnostics for that code.

How well equipped are you to perform mechanical/electrical diagnostics???

Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
Jon [in CT]
*** Banned ***

Member#: 2992
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sedan
Silver

This code is frequently associated with trying to run a late model Subaru with the rear O2 sensor mounted in a spark plug anti-fouler.
Jon [in CT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
TMessick
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 882
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
very blue

First off (and in general for anyone looking for help) please post your mods! Quite difficult (and a lot of guessing) if we don't know the hardware you're dealing with.

Highly reccomend finding someone with a Tactrix cable (or getting one yourself) and getting some logs. Uncle Scotty's kind of got the method to the madness of diagnosis (follow the SM).

In a generic sense, DS fuel trim lean (P2096) means that the control system couldn't get the downstream sensor down to the voltage it wanted, so the system is out of control. As such, you get a fault. COuld be a problem with the DS sensor reading incorrectly high (sensor/wiring problem, sensor out of exh stream) or a tune/HW issue where you're running a bit richer than the cal is set up for and the DS control is trying to pull out fuel to get you back to "normal" but runs out of authority.

Possible causes in order of SM diagnostic procedure) are:
2) rear O2 sensor reading stuck hi or offset (failed sensor or wiring, should be able to see it on logs)
3) rear O2 sensor offset hi/biased (failed sensor or wiring, should be able to see it on logs)
4) rear O2 sensor wiring failed between ECU and sensor signal (fix wiring)
5) rear O2 sensor signal reference offset (failed sensor, replace)
6) air leak in the exhaust near the front O2 or rear O2 is isolated (repair exhaust)
7) ??? not sure how an air leak would cause this, but a borked MAF might
8) high fuel pressure causing rich event
9) failed pressure regulator (see above)
... (I'm too lazy to check these, they are unlikely)

I'd say an aftermarket exhaust by itself is unlikely to cause this, but any of the various "CEL" fixes applied to the DS O2 _could_ be causing it.....

-T
TMessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #9
hulkSTi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STi
OBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMessick View Post
First off (and in general for anyone looking for help) please post your mods! Quite difficult (and a lot of guessing) if we don't know the hardware you're dealing with.

Highly reccomend finding someone with a Tactrix cable (or getting one yourself) and getting some logs. Uncle Scotty's kind of got the method to the madness of diagnosis (follow the SM).

In a generic sense, DS fuel trim lean (P2096) means that the control system couldn't get the downstream sensor down to the voltage it wanted, so the system is out of control. As such, you get a fault. COuld be a problem with the DS sensor reading incorrectly high (sensor/wiring problem, sensor out of exh stream) or a tune/HW issue where you're running a bit richer than the cal is set up for and the DS control is trying to pull out fuel to get you back to "normal" but runs out of authority.

Possible causes in order of SM diagnostic procedure) are:
2) rear O2 sensor reading stuck hi or offset (failed sensor or wiring, should be able to see it on logs)
3) rear O2 sensor offset hi/biased (failed sensor or wiring, should be able to see it on logs)
4) rear O2 sensor wiring failed between ECU and sensor signal (fix wiring)
5) rear O2 sensor signal reference offset (failed sensor, replace)
6) air leak in the exhaust near the front O2 or rear O2 is isolated (repair exhaust)
7) ??? not sure how an air leak would cause this, but a borked MAF might
8) high fuel pressure causing rich event
9) failed pressure regulator (see above)
... (I'm too lazy to check these, they are unlikely)

I'd say an aftermarket exhaust by itself is unlikely to cause this, but any of the various "CEL" fixes applied to the DS O2 _could_ be causing it.....

-T
well i did just get a new TXS exhaust and i had to extend my o2 sensor wiring by about 5" to reach the o2 bung in the new exhaust. im hoping i have a loose wiring connection in there. makes sense. i didnt get this code until after i did the o2. it was about 4 weeks ago. i got the 1st cel a week ago

sorry, my mods are FP Green 50 Trim Turbo, Perrin FMIC, SMC meth kit, Perrin BIG MAF intake, Perrin 816cc modded injectors, Perrin Radiator Reservior, Tial Bov, Walbro Fuel Pump, Turbo XS 4" downpipe, Turbo XS racepipe, Turbo XS exhaust, Thermotec turbo wrap, Thermo-tec Cool Tube on I/C Pipe, Custom turbo heatshield, Heatwrapped downpipe, GFB Red pulley kit, Carbon Fiber radiator shroud, NGK Iridium colder plugs, Motul Race Oil, STi high pressure radiator cap, Apex-I AVC-R, Apex-I TT, HKS TT harness, Ecutek ecu custom street tune by Scott Siegel, monitored by Ecutuk Delta Dash Software.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:53 PM   #10
hulkSTi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STi
OBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon [in CT] View Post
This code is frequently associated with trying to run a late model Subaru with the rear O2 sensor mounted in a spark plug anti-fouler.
not running a plug anti-fouler
Old 11-16-2006, 11:06 PM   #11
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

...it is possible that an exhaust leak would do this, too...
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:19 AM   #12
hulkSTi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 STi
OBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
...it is possible that an exhaust leak would do this, too...
im going to check that this weekend. brand new gaskets for the entire exhaust system
Old 07-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #13
stl22282
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 300770
Default P2096

Hey guys I had this code, thought it was bad o2...nope. Thought it was a gasket to my up pipe.....nope. Thought it was my rear o2....nope. Thought it was a gas cap.....nope. Thought it was my caytlitic converter....nope. Thought it was my mass air flow sensor.....nope.Thought it was a dirty air filter.....nope. Turns out for me it was a bad gasket to my intake manifold. I sprayed some brake cleaner around my rear gasket and the car almost died. Hope this helped, cause instead of the $800 I put into everything it was just $37 in gaskets.....lucky me. At least I know everything new and will last for another 125k miles....lol

2008 wrx
Pro tune s2
stl22282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:49 AM   #14
Keishixl
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 494718
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2010 STI Hatch
White

Question I'm getting the same issue although...

I'm getting the same CEL and consistently the P2096 code. It seems to happen more frequently when car is under 2500rpms ie like a school zone in 2nd gear.

I spoke with the previous owner and he said the tune didn't like the agency power downpipe that's currently on the car. I do have a mod list but the previous owner seems somewhat shady about the tuner and anything to that extent.

Mods: Cobb Stage 2 plus performance package but, agency power downpipe, invidia catback exhaust n1 mufflers, cobb intake and tial bov. I've tried to get advice/help from the previous owner but he says that the tune is meant for a cobb downpipe.

Is that simply the solution? Drop the $900 on a cobb downpipe to get rid of the annoyance of clearing this code on a nearly daily basis?
Keishixl is offline   Reply With Quote