Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-07-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
Legacy777
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4800
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy & OB XT
AWD 6MT EJ22T AWIC Swap

Default Guide pin vs. lock pin

I've run into a little bit of contradiction as to which is which. Subiesport magazine did a little thing on rebuilding calipers and mentioned the guide pin/lock pin thing. However the FSM states something different. Yet other MY FSM's state something completely different.

So what I'm mainly looking to know is: Is the lock pin the gold looking pin or green looking pin?

Secondly, does the lock pin go at the top or bottom of the caliper bracket?

For those that have no clue what I'm talking about, look in this picture. You can see the two pins down on the floor with the rest of the hardware.
http://www.main.experiencetherave.co...s/DCP_3675.JPG

Josh
Legacy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2004, 03:04 PM   #2
BIGSKYWRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7958
Vehicle:
09 GH B+

My manual shows the green pin as the "guide" pin and goes at the top of the caliper, the yellow as the "lock" pin, going in the bottom.

This holds true for both front/rear calipers (oem WRX ones). The guide ones show a small bushing on the end of it (in the schematic).

Cherry blossum calipers- nice touch me likes

Mike
BIGSKYWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:17 PM   #3
Legacy777
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1990 Legacy & OB XT
AWD 6MT EJ22T AWIC Swap

I just looked through the 02 wrx fsm, 00 leg fsm, 04 imp fsm, & 05 leg fsm.

All seem to concur in saying that the guide pin goes at the top, that the green pin is the guide pin, and the yellow pin is the lock pin.

The conflict I'm having is that the 02 WRX FSM states that the guide pin has a small bushing. None of the green pins have a bushing, only the yellow ones do. Since the 02 wrx fsm is the only manual that shows this picture to be backwards, I have to assume it's a screw up.

I don't remember what the subiesports mag said, but I'll check when I get home. I'm going to put the B4 rears & LGT rotors this afternoon.

here's more pics
http://www.main.experiencetherave.co...ges/b4calipers
http://www.main.experiencetherave.co...ages/lgtrotors

BTW, that color is the closest color I could find in a high temp paint that matched the pin stripe on the car It's a unique color....that's for sure.

Josh
Old 12-07-2004, 10:42 PM   #4
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Not to pick or anything, but your endlinks are the old steel ones.....when I upgraded to the new style aluminum ones, the 'feel' in back improved a good bit....more direct and better feel in hard lane changes....i got 'credit' from whiteline(took and emailed a pic of the old ones on my car) and paid ~$68 for the new ones...
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
Legacy777
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1990 Legacy & OB XT
AWD 6MT EJ22T AWIC Swap

what do you mean you got credit?

I just bought these this past Aug. The handling is fine right now, however if I can get newer ones at a discounted cost, I'd entertain the idea.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
BIGSKYWRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7958
Vehicle:
09 GH B+

Big Sky <----- wants Scotty w/ me when I deal on my next car
BIGSKYWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:19 PM   #7
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

If you prove to them, Whiteline, that you have and paid for the old style klc19 endlinks....they will sell you the new klc26 aluminum endlinks for a discounted price.....I emailed them a pic of the klc19's on my car and they took my MC # and sent me a set of the klc26's.....they list the 'swap(no physical swap needed)' price as AU$77.27....

Just another reason to love Whiteline and their products and customer service....

Last edited by Uncle Scotty; 12-08-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:48 AM   #8
Legacy777
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
1990 Legacy & OB XT
AWD 6MT EJ22T AWIC Swap

So you bought them directly from whiteline in aust. and had them shipped to you in the states?

How much did it cost you total, including shipping?
Old 12-09-2004, 09:52 AM   #9
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Right now....AU$77 = ~US$58

The whole thing cost me under US$70, IIRC. This was a year or so ago.
I'll pm you....
Old 12-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #10
bodhicheetah
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 398045
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy777 View Post
I just looked through the 02 wrx fsm, 00 leg fsm, 04 imp fsm, & 05 leg fsm.

All seem to concur in saying that the guide pin goes at the top, that the green pin is the guide pin, and the yellow pin is the lock pin.

The conflict I'm having is that the 02 WRX FSM states that the guide pin has a small bushing. None of the green pins have a bushing, only the yellow ones do. Since the 02 wrx fsm is the only manual that shows this picture to be backwards, I have to assume it's a screw up.

Josh
Compelled to bump this 17 year old post (in the hope that it helps some other helpless fool like it did me) because this is the only thing on the internet I could find that confirms the '02 WRX FSM is incorrect. And this post wasn't that easy to find.

The FSM words are correct, but the diagram is not.

The lock pin (#9, yellow) goes on the bottom and does have a bushing. The guide pin (#3 in the diagram, and "green") goes on top and does not have a bushing. Again, the '02 WRX FSM diagram gets this wrong., godammit.

The confusion around this sent me down a 2 hour+ rabbit hole and meant I had to finish my brake job in the dark. And that was after having to deal with an unexpected seized caliper pin and a rusty guide hole. 2 hour job turned into an all day job...

And to top it all off, while rabbit holeing, I found out that maybe it might not even matter that much? As far as I could tell the pins were the same diameter and length and it sounds like there's hella people out there who just throw the bushings away and have no problems whatsoever? Those people are braver than I am. I kept the bushing on there and wanted to make sure it was in the right place, godammit.

Not sure if you're still around, but thanks Legacy777. Saved me from completely losing it!

Tags: 02 wrx caliper pin, 2002 wrx caliper pin, 2002 wrx lock pin vs guide pin
bodhicheetah is offline   Reply With Quote