Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
williaty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71092
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Default How Do You Tell if an AFR/O2 Sensor is Broken?

So my car is down on fuel mileage and stinks like raw gas. I plugged into the ECU, and this is what the AFR sensor (front O2 sensor) reported for a full-throttle trip across the rev range:

Now, that seems a little wacky to me that the ECU would be letting the car go that rich. Do you think the AFR sensor could be at fault (even though I smell the car being rich)? If it's not a sensor, any idea why I'm running this rich?
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
Unabomber
Big Ron
Super Moderator

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Your stock O2 sensor is about as accurate as calling my mom and asking for your AFRs, so don't get excited. If your O2 sensor was going south, you'd have a CEL. It might be on it's way out, so take it to the dealer and have them fix that crap for $0.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
WRX_TR
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 141591
Vehicle:
07 WRX TR
OBP

n/m......

Last edited by WRX_TR; 08-24-2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: n/m didnt read right....rs
WRX_TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
LewisWORX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 63001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
02 WRX Stg. II PnP
WRB

I have an innovate lc1 and I have to say that the stock o2 sensor is pretty spot on most of the time. I have run logs side by side with very little difference.
LewisWORX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
shemoves
Scooby Guru

Member#: 80663
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi

Well, 11.0 is actually pretty normal. Problem is, the stock 02 only reads down to either 11.2 or 11.02, so you don't really know how rich it is.

Due to the gas smell, I'd say your car is running rich. It may just be compensation from the ECU. If you don't mind having the dealer mess with it, by all means bring it in.

If you are more of a DIY guy, then do this: Run the current tank of gas out enough to where the gas light comes on. Refill it it with high quality (chevron, shell, etc) gas that is one 'step' up in octane (if you normally put in 87, put in 89. If you normally put in 89, do 91 or 93. If you normally do higher than 89, stop wasting your money). Reset the ECU. Then drive around and see if it goes away. (Reset ECU by unplugging the negative on the battery, pumping the brake a few times, and letting it sit for a couple minutes.) If it does go away, then you know the ECU detected something (coulda just been a bad batch of gas). From then on, just use good-quality 87, and you should be fine.

Oh yea, this is all assuming normal maintenance (filters, fluids, plugs) is current.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote