Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
25rsti
Scooby Guru

Member#: 166324
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default Swapping a complete car over to new shell

Hey all!

I just got my long awaited conversion back from a few years.

Started it's life as a 2002 2.5rs.

Now she has a built Hybrid motor, 30r every bolt on, cutom reversed 2.5i manifold ect ect.

JDM Spec C transmission drivetrain complete w DCCD Pro.

My problem is the shell has alot of rust and I'm thinking it's too much to be worth having a body shop fix.

It would be a major pain to swap everything over into a new shell but I think it would be the best scenario.

I found an 05 STi Shell locally and was wondering could I swap everything over to it legally? I've read/heard it's ok to put a newer engine in a car but not older engine in. I'm running an 03 WRX ecu and wiring harness with my current car. Plus it's hard to find a 02-03 Shell in good low mileage condition locally.

Any advice and helpful insight is greatly appreciated.

TIA.

Last edited by 25rsti; 06-13-2013 at 07:16 PM.
25rsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
CatfaceType-R
Scooby Guru

Member#: 81102
Chapter/Region: South East

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2103984

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps View Post
Like Jack said, I've done two LS1 RX7's. They're a blast. I just picked up an RX8 for another swap. '95 and older (pre-OBD2) are emissions exempt in MA. Its just a safety inspection.

If you have a '96 or newer chassis, you must maintain OBD2 functions and pass the plug in test. You're also limited to using an engine that is the same year or newer than the chassis. They will do a visual check for cats as well, just like any other emissions test.
Just a quick search I did, you might want to check with the MA dmv or sec of state (or whatever you guys call it), as this thread is 3 years old, but probably still accurate as he had experience doing swaps in MA.
CatfaceType-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
jamesfacts
Scooby Guru

Member#: 51282
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
98 RS
black & blue from parking

It's definitely easier swapping shells than fixing rust - I've been down that road more than once. As long as you pass OBD-II scans, the RMV won't know what year engine is in the car.
jamesfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
25rsti
Scooby Guru

Thanks guys, I'm just on the hunt for a shell. I'd prefer an 02-03 so I wouldn't have to swap out radiator supports again (did it on my other bugeye)
Old 04-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
25rsti
Scooby Guru

How in depth can a body shop fix rust? Is it only on the exterior? I've noticed it behind the quarter panel on the interior under the back seats.

Trying to figure out my best path to take. It's very hard to find an already black 02-03 bugeye shell for sale locally for a good price and low miles without rust. To swap everything over is going to be so painful with all the custom wiring, intercooler piping and other misc things.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
25rsti
Scooby Guru

Bump for advice? Maybe bodyshop gurus even.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
25rsti
Scooby Guru

Ok guys. Found a replacement shell.

Questions I have for you guys.

What would be my quickest/easiest way to swap the complete major components over to a new shell?

As in, could I drop the complete engine/trans/suspension/subframe together and the complete rear end/diff/axles/suspension to make it as much of a 2 peice big bundle?

Then I would just need to take care of tons of small things there after.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #8
Shinji Hirako
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 301002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
08 Impreza Wrx
White

Probably not helpful but i seen them drop the whole front drivetrain of euro spec wrx on strippers car for cash.
< link starts at 29:29 if your interested.
Shinji Hirako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
25rsti
Scooby Guru

Cool show. Thanks for the vid. That's exactly what I would love to do but I don't have a lift. I'll be doing this work in a small one car garage.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Shinji Hirako
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 301002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
08 Impreza Wrx
White

A engine hoist, a **** load of jack stands, two jacks and you could do almost the same the same thing. Not the safest thing in the world obviously, but gets the job done.
Shinji Hirako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
25rsti
Scooby Guru

Oh I know.

I have an engine hoist, engine stand, 2 jacks, 8 jack stands, hydraulic table lift, level loader and a tiny one car garage. lol
Old 11-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
25rsti
Scooby Guru

I just wanted to let people know (who care) that I did do this and finished it about a month and a half ago. Took me a few months working completely by myself and on limited time after work and most weekends this summer. There was a lot of unexpected things and bumps in the way but it's done and it was sooo worth it.

I now have a 04 STi shell with Bugeye front end, built hybrid motor with rotated garrett turbo, jdm 6 speed and a ton of other things everywhere. I did a full detail paint restoration on it two weekends ago and it's so nice to be done and enjoy it on the weekends (when it's nice out).