Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-06-2007, 02:08 AM   #1
FeD_bballGT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 138717
Default gauge install caused rear defroster to stay on

Hey, I have a 06 WRX and just got boost, EGT and oil pressure gauges installed today. The gauges work fine, but now the rear window defroster won't turn off. The light for the button remains on even when you push the button; and when you push the button the gauges turn on and off. Is there a problem with having the rear defroster on the whole time the car is running? and is there a way to turn off the defroster?

Thanks
FeD_bballGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

Something is miswired. If you had a shop do the install go back there ASAP and make them fix their mistake.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

It's not about turning off the defroster -- it's about having your gauges properly installed.

Maybe the shop that installed your gauges did not realize that Subaru uses a switched ground system?

Don't try to "fix" the defroster in favor of the gauges -- nothing is wrong with the defroster. Fix the real problem first, the gauges!

Good luck!
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

I agree with the other posters and there is a problem with leaving the defroster on continusly. The shop has tied into the wrong wire to supply power to the gauges. Maybe they got confused with a wire that is the same color as a power wire or worse, they just probed around until they found something that looked like it was a power wire.

BIG-E is correct in saying they tapped into a switched ground wire. The power going to the gauges is in series with the defroster heating element. The gauges are now acting as a ground connection to the defroster, which keeps the heater on even though the defroster switch is off. When you turn the defroster switch on then the gauge power connection gets tied to ground through the defroster switch and turns off the gauges, but turns the defroster on as it should be.

If this was my car I would go back the to the shop and ask to speak to the manager. Then explain to him what you have found out. I would try to find out what they using for a wiring reference to install the gauges. They need to fix this correctly and at no extra cost to you. One quick and smart way to supply power to a new accessory is to use a fuse tap. Suppling power that way requires no slicing into wires where there may be trouble later on if not done correctly.

Last edited by Cougar4; 10-06-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
FeD_bballGT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 138717

ok, i'll bring my car back to the shop, but it's closed during the weekend. Will having the rear defroster on throughout the weekend be bad? (my wrx is the only car i can drive)
FeD_bballGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

Is the defroster really on, or just the light on the button? You can feel the window to see if it's getting warm.
The ECU times the defroster out after about 15 minutes so it won't run constantly, although I'm not sure whether a short in the button wiring would keep resetting the timer.
To be sure, you can always find the fuse or relay for the rear defrost and pull it.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote