Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-24-2004, 08:21 PM   #1
David03WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 28546
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
00 BMW M Coupe
Silver

Impreza WRX STi Help replacing factory boost gauge - please

Wanting to replace the factory boost gauge in an '04 STi... Was looking at a VDO gauge...

Question 1: what is the measurement/interface with the factory gauge?

Q2: Anyone know of any compatible gauges?

Q3: The units of measurement on the factory gauge are not the same as the available VDO gauges... will that matter? Will I need to swap out senders altogether?

Please considering pardoning my major ignorance...
Any help you can offer is appreciated.

D!
David03WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2004, 08:27 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

The factory gauge is a mechanical unit, there is no sender- just the vacuum line that connects to it from the engine. If you get another mechanical gauge you can plug the same line into it.
The gauge is a 42mm size. You can get an Omori 45mm gauge and make it fit into the stock pod on the steering column, many have done this.
As for the units of measurement, the stock gauge uses metric units (mPA) whereas most aftermarket gauges use SAE units (PSI), but as long as you know how to interpret the readings it really doesn't matter.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:32 PM   #3
David03WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 28546
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
00 BMW M Coupe
Silver

Thanks Mulder...

I am scrapping the stock boost gauge/housing in favor of the cleaner gauge cluster bezel (the one that integrates a gauge into each lower extremity of the instrument cluster area). I will incorporate an oil temperature gauge into the other spot...

VDO offers red lighting - though I'd prefer amber to match the dash - but I'm still looking...

My bimmer has amber lighting and those gauges are VDO, so maybe I'll have to keep looking...
David03WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:50 PM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

Ok, if you aren't re-using the housing then any gauge will work. As I said if it's mechanical you can just hook the existing hose to it. If it's electrical with a remote sender the line gets connected to the sender.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote