Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
expresswrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49620
Vehicle:
2003 wrx wagon
silver

Default Inspection Trouble

I'm having trouble getting my stock 2003 wrx wagon through inspection becuase the monitors of the computer havn't reset. In NJ they don't just check your exhaust, they hook into your computer to make sure that you havn't disabled a CEL.

In October at about 46000 miles I had the dealer replace the ABS chip as part of the free recall. After having work on the computer, it has to 'reboot' a process that it still has not completed, so the computer says that the evaporative systems and catalytic converter aren't ready. So I can't pass inspection! This is despite about 1500 miles of driving.

I spoke to the dealer and they said I had to drive it from cold at highway speeds for 10 miles or so, then turn it off, restart and drive another 10 miles at highway speed. I thought I did this, but it still hasn't reset.

Anybody have any ideas about what is going on? THis is a major pain in the....

thanks!
expresswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

Actually the OBDII inspection is instead of a tailpipe test, not in addition. Many states including NY and PA are now doing this type of inspection for cars '96 and newer.
Anyway the replacement of your ABS unit should not have anything to do with your current issue. Even if they disconnected the battery at that time, which resets the ECU and the monitors, it should have all reset long ago through normal driving. The ABS unit itself has no connection to the ECU and does not affect the readiness monitors.
It would be helpful to have someone with a scanner check to see exactly which monitors are not resetting as this may indicate an underlying problem that needs to be addressed. Even if the CEL is not on there may be "pending codes" stored that can be read which can also be helpful
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote