Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 10, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
SubieCrack
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 225426
Vehicle:
2007 Subaru WRX
Metallic Silver

Default Blown Oil Pan and Cooler Seal Question

My 07' Subaru WRX has 65,000 miles on it. I have been known to do a tad bit more spirited driving then most others. While I was gone the oil got so low that you could hear the ticking noise. Recently I had your every day oil change performed and a diagnosics check done. It was found that my oil pan and oil cooler were leaking due to bad seals. The car was backed into a ditch by my father and it partially (not bad at all) kinked the exhaust in the back end right behind the silencer. My question is what could have been the cause for the bad seals? The exhaust or the low oil? Just wondering if I should replace the exhaust or not. Any POSITIVE feedback would be appreciated.
SubieCrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Oil cooler o-rings are fairly common. They are basically an o-ring squished in a groove in the top of the oil cooler against a flat surface on the block. They tend to shrink a bit with age and heat cycles, and eventually they start leaking. The part costs about $10 and if you can change your own oil, and you have a 24mm deep socket, you can change your o-ring. Does your exhaust wrap all the way around the oil cooler? If so, it's a bigger PITA and may require draining the coolant and popping a hose off.

I hardly ever see oil pans leaking at that mileage though. They're sealed with fujibond, not a gasket. I suppose elevated crankcase pressure could blow out a poor seal.

Why are you burning through so much oil? Why don't you check your oil every time you fill it with gas, if you KNOW that it consumes an abnormal amount of oil?

If your turbo doesn't get the lubricating and cooling that it requires, you're going to destroy it. When the turbo gets destroyed, tiny metal shavings go through your oil pump, through your crank bearings, through your heads, through your camshafts, through all of the lines...

You may not think much of it, but I tore down an engine today on a Legacy GT that spit out a turbo and it damaged the cams, heads, and even the oil pump is garbage. The owner got an estimate of about $8000 to fix her car. I'll find out tomorrow if the crank and block are junk as well.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
SubieCrack
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 225426
Vehicle:
2007 Subaru WRX
Metallic Silver

I usually keep pretty good maintenance on the car, oil changes, coolant, fuel injected cleaner..etc. I have been out of the state and was allowing my father to drive it while I was away. He was leaving one of his friends house and backed it down a slightly steep hill, putting the silencer in the dirt and slightly kinking the pipe right behind the silencer. He also said he didn't change the oil in it, and I'm assuming due to the leak in the oil pan and cooler, the majority of it leaked out through the damaged seals. He said that after while(probably due to the lack of oil in the engine) it started to "knock" and "klink" <His words. When I took it in to check and make sure everything was fine. They told me about the leaks, and that the seals needed to be replaced. I'm just trying to figure out WHAT if any of it, caused it so it doesn't tear up again. The seals are already replaced in it, I'm just trying to figure out a possible cause for them going bad so soon. Hope that clears it up. But your input is very appreciated. Thank you.
SubieCrack is offline   Reply With Quote