Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 18, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-07-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
jeapskibum
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 90269
Default 2000 Subaru Outback Headgaskets

I drive an 05 LGT but I am looking for a car for the sister. I am looking at two 2000 outback limiteds. One went to the dealer for the special coolant additive and is under the headgasket warranty for 6 more months. The other one just had the radiator replaced and owner no knowlege of the coolant service bulliten. I wonder if the new RAD is a sign that maybe there is a head gasket problem. There's no warranty on that one either.

What are the odds that I am going to suffer a head gasket failure? If it is 1/100 I am ok with that but are we talking like a 50% chance I will be dropping 2 grand to fix this for her on the near future.

Should I avoid these cars like the plague and get her something else till she can step up to the new model.
jeapskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Member#: 3687
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

There shouldn't be a worry on the '00 on headgaskets like the '99. The DOHC 2.5L had the poor headgaskets. I had to put in NEW rod bearings in my Da's '98 Legacy Outback because the coolant that was in the oil system was picked up by the oil pickup and thrown into the rod bearings. SO I had to tear apart the motor and put in new rod bearings, seals, o-rings, head gaskets and other gaskets and then put the motor back in. Yes, it saved us a bunch of $$$ for this...but whew some hard work! The headgaskets blew between the cylinders on the driverside. My assumption was that they didn't TORQUE the center head bolts to specs when the HAD THESE REPLACED BEFORE.

SO I was basically redoing someone elses work....even found loose nuts and bolts! damn them!
FuJi K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Actually, Fuji K, you're incorrect, but that was a heart-wrenching off-topic story about fixing your father's car. There's been a TSB out for a while about head gasket issues with the first few years of the SOHC 2.5Ls - http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2993 . My father had his HGs done twice on his 2000 Outback, both times covered by the dealer because the coolant conditioner didn't do the trick.

jeapskibum, I don't know if any of us know the real numbers well enough to say what the risk is. This is standard problem with forums like this - the people who don't have problems aren't going to start random threads to report that their car is just fine. Thus all we see are reports of when things go bad, which makes the problem seem worse than it really is. All else being equal, I'd be inclined to go with the car that you know has had the coolant conditioner and is covered for a bit longer.

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
Tim Sanderson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6486
Vehicle:
00 Impreza 2.5 RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

Take it for a test drive. If it's a decent price Then I'd say go for it. How many miles on the car?
Tim Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:54 AM   #5
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Member#: 3687
Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
Actually, Fuji K, you're incorrect, but that was a heart-wrenching off-topic story about fixing your father's car. There's been a TSB out for a while about head gasket issues with the first few years of the SOHC 2.5Ls - http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2993 . My father had his HGs done twice on his 2000 Outback, both times covered by the dealer because the coolant conditioner didn't do the trick.

jeapskibum, I don't know if any of us know the real numbers well enough to say what the risk is. This is standard problem with forums like this - the people who don't have problems aren't going to start random threads to report that their car is just fine. Thus all we see are reports of when things go bad, which makes the problem seem worse than it really is. All else being equal, I'd be inclined to go with the car that you know has had the coolant conditioner and is covered for a bit longer.

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Poor outback. ......I wonder what Subaru was thinking when messing with thead headgaskets......*sigh* MOST are not effected, but....it's a hit or miss deal. My friend went in for that recall deal as well on his '00 2.5RS. His ran fine still, that is until he totaled it later. There's some worry, but as long as it's not like the '98-'99 w/ the DOHC. A leak is bad, but not as bad as a BLOWN one, which was why I said it's not a big worry. You can worry though, it's better to have a heads up!
FuJi K is offline   Reply With Quote