Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-18-2003, 04:09 PM   #1
ndw1138
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 32433
Vehicle:
2005 STi V370
black

Default AC line and larger intercoolers - STi lines?

I assume the STi must have different AC lines (the metal hose that runs along the top of the intercooler) due to it's larger intercooler. Is there any reason that the STi metal hose can't be put on in place of the standard 02-03 WRX line? Any issues with replacing with the STi (STi being a RHD car the plumbing could be different up there?).

Reason being is every larger intercooler I have seen seems to either rub, or get too close to that line.. Rubbing is sooner or later going to cause a leak, I've put foam over the contact point but would rather just get the right line or simply bend it off the car.

Thanks for any input,

nathan
ndw1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2003, 04:42 PM   #2
teiva-boy
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22825
Chapter/Region: NWIC

You can bend your stock line quite safely while it's still on the car. You can also try to fidget with the bracket on the firewall that holds the lines in place.
teiva-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:42 PM   #3
Johnny5
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 27200
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Ltd
Atlantic Blue

Do you have any photos with your A/C line bent with a larger intercooler? I have a STI TMI and pushed the A/C line as far back against the firewall as possible, but there's still a contact point with the IC near the blue cap on the IC line. For now I wrapped it in friction tape and put a wire loom over it, but getting not to touch at all would be ideal.

Thanks,
John
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 07:48 PM   #4
ndw1138
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 32433
Vehicle:
2005 STi V370
black

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny5
Do you have any photos with your A/C line bent with a larger intercooler? I have a STI TMI and pushed the A/C line as far back against the firewall as possible, but there's still a contact point with the IC near the blue cap on the IC line. For now I wrapped it in friction tape and put a wire loom over it, but getting not to touch at all would be ideal.

Thanks,
John
If you get a chance shoot me a email address (the one you sent wasnt working).

At any rate, I talked to someone yesterday who sugested not bending those pipes. They are thinner than they appear and the slightest crack that you can't even be seen will let AC vapor escape and then your out a couple hundred buxs to fill up your AC after 1-2 hours of use. Altering the brackets doesnt look like a bad idea but I think this will only yield so much. I already moved mine a bit before installing the intercooler and I'm still silly close.

So I'm left with two options
- Figure out what the STi uses and get that pipe
- Put rubber around the hose in those contact areas (which I have been doing - via a old coolant hose) and hope this prevents any rattles or rubbing of metal on metal.

nathan
ndw1138 is offline   Reply With Quote