Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
spoolinw00t
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 166660
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WrxSti
AspenWhite

Default Exceeding jack weight limit?

I'm looking to purchase a new jack and have one in mind but 2006 sti's weigh over 300 lbs it's capacity, 1.5 ton floor jack. Will a couple of hundred pounds be an issue when lifting? Thanks
spoolinw00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
leecea
Scooby Guru

Member#: 37359
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

You will not be lifting the entire car off the ground, so I think that's OK. Lots of people use the HF 1.5 ton jacks. Check it has the reach and lift height you want.

Remember that you should never work on a car solely supported by any jack. You must use jack stands and I would not skimp on those.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
Vrooom_Psh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 311923
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
04 STi
WRB

How much are you looking to spend? 1.5 sounds a little weak.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...eel-Floor-Jack

That's the one I have, I got it for $137 on sale. That seems to be around the price range for a 1.5 ton jack, but it's built heavier, and I believe just much better overall.

Also look at how high the jack will lift, as well as the height. (especially if you have a lowered car)

hope this helps!
Vrooom_Psh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
rkramer
Scooby Guru

Member#: 118209
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limitec

leecea is exactly on... Unless you figure out how to lift the entire car at once (you won't), you are only going to be lifting half of the weight of the car, give or take...

1.5 is fine... 1 ton is fine
rkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
spoolinw00t
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 166660
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WrxSti
AspenWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea
You will not be lifting the entire car off the ground, so I think that's OK. Lots of people use the HF 1.5 ton jacks. Check it has the reach and lift height you want.

Remember that you should never work on a car solely supported by any jack. You must use jack stands and I would not skimp on those.
Thanks man. I had a jack that had a 3 ton capability but it broke. I found a similar answer to yours on another forum but I wanted to make sure.
spoolinw00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
DrD
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22412
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2024 Legacy Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkramer View Post
1.5 is fine... 1 ton is fine
I'd be leery of a 1ton... for the front you are probably lifting something like 1800lbs, which is close to the limit (granted, there's going to be a safety factor) - it will get the job done no problem, I would just be concerned about long term reliability of the jack.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
rkramer
Scooby Guru

Member#: 118209
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
I'd be leery of a 1ton... for the front you are probably lifting something like 1800lbs, which is close to the limit (granted, there's going to be a safety factor) - it will get the job done no problem, I would just be concerned about long term reliability of the jack.
yep, i wouldn't exactly recommend someone actually using a 1 ton, but I've done it. The 1 ton's i've used had the same frame as the higher capacity jacks, just smaller hydraulic pumps. The pumps themselves will go into bypass when they hit their max, they just won't lift any more.
rkramer is offline   Reply With Quote