Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-10-2006, 11:24 PM   #1
ryzies
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 118548
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
sti shopping

Default differences in power steering failure

what would be the differences in feel from a power steering pump gone bad compared to the entire steering rack being bad?
need to know
ryzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2006, 02:46 AM   #2
ryzies
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
sti shopping

all you people looking in here and nobody knows the answer?...hahaha...help me please for the love of god..
Old 10-11-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
ryzies
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
sti shopping

come on someone...
Old 11-07-2006, 04:18 AM   #4
neu06wrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 121561
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 STG.2 WRX
Pearl blue

Im not sure if this helps much but on my old saturn the power steering went out....have you steered your car when it died and had no power it gets really stiff and difficult to move the wheel. What kind of problems are you having with the car? Has it been in an accident? Is it making noises?
The rack and pinion should last very very long. Also you must remember power steering helps to multiply your strength in turning all that metal, so thier symptoms are similar such as hissing noises, growl (in steering pump),whinning pump, Lots of steering effort(pump or rack problems), Rattle in steering(steering gear, Rack&p, or pressure hose issues), poor return of wheel(rack,pump, ball joints,wheel bearings,etc.), increased effort on fast turns(steering gear,pump,fluid level,belt), excessive play in steering. They all kinda make the same or similar symptoms and unless your R&P is really old or badly damaged from abuse, then I would check out the pump and its lines first. Hope this is of some help.
Eric
neu06wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:42 AM   #5
dubbya-rx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 131202
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Blue

Last week I had a problem with my power steering too...Squill, stutter, ect...I changed the belt and now all is well!!!! Cheap fix.
dubbya-rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
UkNuck
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21808
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
02 GroceryGettAr
Nonemore Black

If the pump is not functioning (that includes broken accessory belt) the steering will just be REALLY heavy - just like if you turn the wheel with the engine off (key in the acc position to stop the steering lock of course). If you jack up the front end so the wheels are off the ground the wheel should still turn smoothly lock-to-lock if the rack is in good shape.

Shuddering / grinding through the wheel usually indicates air in the system. Squeeling usually comes from a slipping belt.

There are probably SOME kinds of rack failure that are hard to distinguish from pump failure though (e.g. return valve problems?)
UkNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
dru_hill
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 67661
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX sedan
Blue

I would think the rack wouldnt fail unless it had some mechanical damage, like you hit a rock, or whacked it when you were under the car doing work. The pump is more likely to go out, from doing lots of turning at low speeds, holding the wheel against the stops etc. I live in the city and I park in a parking garage all the time, and I am a little worried this will accelerate pump failure, but changing a power steering pump is easy. When its going bad, the steering will be harder, and it will make funny noises, growls, whines, stuff like that. Then when it finally lets go, you will have no power steering and the wheel will be almost impossible to turn when you are standing still, but not to bad when you are going like > 5mph. If the pump siezes, it might chew up the belt and harm anything else attached to that belt. A GM power steering pump is like $75 with exchange, it took me a few hours to change the few Ive done on GM cars.
dru_hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:41 AM   #8
ryzies
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
sti shopping

sorry took a while for me to check this...it's been fine for me for the last month or so...sometimes when i pull into my driveway, there's a rattle in the steering...or a shudder...it hasn't been stiff like it was in a month though...i don't understand it...