Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-19-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
chongmagic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 432427
Angry 2016 WRX TOB replacement

So I took my WRX to the only nearby Subaru dealership and they replaced my TOB and clutch pedal assembly under warranty even though I am past the three year mark, but only have 18k miles. They allowed me a good faith repair.

The service department said it would take about a day to fix, and gave me a loaner to drive. This was on Wednesday of last week. Around Saturday I called to inquire about my car and was told that they were busy and would call me back. This was around noon, and at 5pm I had heard nothing. So I called back and forgetting it was a Saturday, they had already closed.

I called again today and was told that they were checking the alignment and that as soon as they were done they would call me back. I was thinking I guess they have to check the alignment because of having to remove the tranny and that could cause some issues. They finally called about 2:30 today saying it was ready to pick up. The first thing I notice is that the steering is tight as all get out. In my mind I was thinking well the Impreza was pretty sensitive so I guess it was just from driving that car for a few days. Regardless, I mentioned it and they said they loosened up the steering column. And to try it again, it was still a little tight and I could feel it but again I thought it must be in my head. So I left and about when I hit 2.5 to 3k rpms, I hear this ticking noise coming from the driver's side. Almost like a fan motor with a bad bearing. Below that it sounded normal.

So, I took it back and told the technician and he said it could be some plastic or something rubbing so he took it back to check it out. Then after about 30 minutes he brought it back and said they couldn't find anything wrong. So I took him down the road with me and he could hear the noise and he took it back into the service area and they put it up on the lift. They again said they couldn't see an issue. So I took him for another ride and he confirmed that it was still happening. And again he took it back to the service area and I went back up to the main waiting area. About an hour later, I decided to go back to the area to check and see what was up. He had the downpipe off and was saying that a bolt was loose and it was causing the gasket to rattle.

Around this time it was about 5:15pm and it was getting close to closing time at the dealership. He said he was almost finished and it wouldn't take much longer. Finally he got the downpipe back on and sure enough the sound was still present, so he seemed to not know what to do at this point. He started looking for TSBs that would relate to the issue. So he told me to drive it and see if it was the TOB needing to wear-in. At this point I am not sure what to do.

My car did have the TOB squeal but it didn't make the engine noise before hand, and the steering feels all wonky now. I am at a loss at what to do. Especially since this is the only Subaru dealership nearby. Any suggestions?

TLR Subaru dealership "fixed" my TOB and replaced my clutch pedal assembly, engine now makes a noise at 2.5 -3k rpm and steering is tight and wonky.
chongmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links