Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
jesterjames
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 252663
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Default Oil cooler (Need some advice)

So im kinda stuck in a corner here, im very limited on funds and the amount that i want to spend. Im looking right around the area of $200 all said an done. The cars gonna see the track so the factory one isnt going to do it and is gonna be deleted.
Im looking at a B&M 20,000 BTU stacked plate cooler, Jegs Flex 200 Hoses, and Jegs -10 AN (5/8's) fittings.
Im stuck at a Sandwich plate though, I want one thats thermostatic. But all the ones that are realisticly priced have 3/8 NPT fittings (-6 AN basicly) Which IMO will cause alot of pressure drop and hurt my oil pressure.
All the sandwich plates with the fitting sizes i want are non thermostatic, which wouldnt be a big deal but it does get pretty cold here in the winter.
The only one i found that was thermostatic is the Greddy, buts its $120 by it self...
jesterjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

What part number are you looking at for Greddy? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, but I'm not finding a thermostatic sandwich adapter from them.

Mocal makes one that is right around $100. However, that doesn't include the fittings, so it's probably about $120 once you add the BSP-to-AN fittings and Dowty seals. Looks like Racer Parts Wholesale's price is about $10 better than BAT, inc.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
jesterjames
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
What part number are you looking at for Greddy? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, but I'm not finding a thermostatic sandwich adapter from them.

Mocal makes one that is right around $100. However, that doesn't include the fittings, so it's probably about $120 once you add the BSP-to-AN fittings and Dowty seals. Looks like Racer Parts Wholesale's price is about $10 better than BAT, inc.
the mocal one i saw was still only 3/8NPT.

Idealy i would just do a seperate oil thermostat. The thing is though there $~60 without fittings. So add 8 fittings onto that and your looking at an extra $70 in fittings on top of what i already have...

Edit: if you google search Greddy Thermostatic Sandwich
you should get a link to it, its ~$120 but has -10 fittings

Edit #2:
http://www.240sxmotoring.com/groilcoadw.html
Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

This is the question I ask all my cutomers that tell me they want to know what oil cooler to use. Do you know you need one? Most really don't know. Without knowing for certain you may be spending money that could otherwise be spent on something more useful.

If you must have one, you're going the right route with a themostatically contolled piece. $200 is a stretch and lines/fittings are not piece I'd cheap out on.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
dexterous
Scooby Guru

Member#: 23553
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 STI - Insanity!
2014 WRX - Daily

Call BAT Inc. and they will fix you right up. I have a Mocal sandwich adapter with -10 fittings on it and it works perfectly. Check out this thread for details on my oil cooler setup. KillerB is correct though, this is NOT something that you want to go cheap on. Cheap oil cooler cores cause HUGE pressure drops resulting it dangerously low oil pressure. I dont have exact numbers but if I recall correctly, my oil cooler setup was $700-800 after all was said and done. You are on the right track with the -10 lines through. I tried -8 and it didn't work well at all. My final setup is absolutely perfect though.
dexterous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #6
jesterjames
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
This is the question I ask all my cutomers that tell me they want to know what oil cooler to use. Do you know you need one? Most really don't know. Without knowing for certain you may be spending money that could otherwise be spent on something more useful.

If you must have one, you're going the right route with a themostatically contolled piece. $200 is a stretch and lines/fittings are not piece I'd cheap out on.
Thats with me putting the lines and fittings together, its going to be a little more expensive though because im going to be getting a mocal or greddy sandwich adapter ive decided.

As for needing one, i personally believe any wrx with 350+ whp is going to need an aftermarket oil cooler at some point.
Mine might not see the track for a little while, but since my factory cooler is now a paper weight because of 2 bad rod bearings. Id rather invest in proper cooling for the future than another $300 factory POS.