Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-18-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
mRgUnN
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 14115
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
WR Pearl Blue

Unhappy URGENT: Electrical Issues Need Help!

Dear Subie Pals:

I urgently need some assistance with the following problem:

I have a 2003 WRX Turbo Sedan, and my Morrette low beam head lights (not HID) are not coming on.

I have checked the following:
High beam, parking light, brake lights, fog lights, dome light, stereo, fans, AC, and turn signals all function fine.

Fuses for lights appear to be ok. Could not check relay as I do not have a spare.

Bulbs on lights appear to be OK, tungston intact, no obvious discoloration from blown bulb.

Checked head light wiring harness underhood, no obvious signs of wear or loose connections.

What further problem determination steps can I perform?

Could there be a problem with the Morette headlight wiring harness?

How could I verify that?

Where can I probe with a Volt Ohm meter to check?

Anyone else with a similar experience, how did they resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Regards,

mRgUnN
mRgUnN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2003, 11:47 AM   #2
DrD
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22412
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2024 Legacy Sport

One quick question - were they working, and they they stopped, or did you just install them and they ceased functioning? If it's the latter, there have been a number of posts about "plug-n-play" harnesses which weren't wired correctly...
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 02:24 PM   #3
mRgUnN
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
WR Pearl Blue

Unhappy Were Working

Dear Subie Pals:

The Morette headlights were functioning fine for the last 10 months.

Regards,

mRgUnN
Old 05-18-2003, 05:32 PM   #4
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Try unplugging all the connectors and bulbs, looking for corrosion and/or burnt contacts. Check all bulbs/fuses with a meter, I have seen both bulbs and fuses which appeared intact but were in fact blown. Try tapping the relay, gently, with a screwdriver handle or some such object. Look for a burnt/broken/frayed wire.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 09:36 PM   #5
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

In the Morettes the highs are powered directly from the battery so if you have a power problem that would explain why the highs work but not the lows. However, there is an independent fuse and relay for the headlight power on each side so it is unlikely that they are both blown at the same time.
Definitely check the bulbs with an ohmeter as suggested, they could very possibly be bad and look ok to the eye. If the bulbs check out use a meter or test light to verify whether or not you are getting power and ground to the lights and if not to trace the cause.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 10:27 AM   #6
mRgUnN
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
WR Pearl Blue

Default FYI Parking Lights Function

Dear Subie Pals;;

FYI the Daytime running lights are working fine. I am told they are on the same circut.

I will test and report back.

Regards,

mRgUnN
Old 05-19-2003, 01:59 PM   #7
mRgUnN
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
WR Pearl Blue

Thumbs up DOHH!!! Problem Found L"User" Error

Dear Subie Pals:

I found the problem, l"user" error, . It appears my initial Problem Determination was flawed. I did not checked the thick outer set of bulbs, I simply assumed they were the HBs.

Today I came home for lunch and decided that I should retrace all of my PD steps again. I again visually inspected all of the fuses, verified all cables were seated properly. Then I retested the lights, it was at this time I noticed I had examined the wrong set of bulbs on my previous PD attempt. So this time I actually removed the bulbs and checked them visually. DOOHHH!!!! Sure enough both blubs are blown.

So now I know all I need is 2 new low beam replacement bulbs.

Now I am wondering.... why would both bulbs burn out at the same time, this seems odd to me. Any way I learned somethings from my pals on the forum, and will be more diligent next time.

Many thanks to everyone who assisted.

Regards,

mRgUnN
Old 05-19-2003, 09:33 PM   #8
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

If your low beams were burned out there is no way the DRLs could have been working since they operate the low beams at reduced brightness. Are you perhaps referring to the small "city lights" which are located in the high beam housing on the Morettes and come on with the parking lights?
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 04:31 AM   #9
armand1
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10309
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
'02 OBS 2-tone!
White

Quote:
why would both bulbs burn out at the same time
Many times they do not both burn out at the same time; rather, nobody noticed that one bulb was burnt out until the other one also burnt out and there were no low beams anymore.
armand1 is offline   Reply With Quote