Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-09-2003, 03:18 AM   #1
evorev
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 39836
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
95 subie L
maroon & mud

Default DMS 40mm Golds for 02 WRX on a 00 2.5RS?

HEY,

questions for you guys...

1. are DMS 40mm Gold Coilovers any good for street and rallyX use?

2. Does anyone know if the ones designed for a '02 WRX will fit on a 00 RS?

3. are used ones okay? i mean, to a degree of course... can they be rebuilt, etc? anyone have personal experiences with these?

thanks,

=brett=
evorev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2003, 04:04 AM   #2
Aerosim Research Ltd
Former Vendor

Member#: 45648
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
GC8 CF 22B widebody
Lancia Stratos Replica

Quote:
Originally posted by evorev
HEY,

questions for you guys...

1. are DMS 40mm Gold Coilovers any good for street and rallyX use?

2. Does anyone know if the ones designed for a '02 WRX will fit on a 00 RS?

3. are used ones okay? i mean, to a degree of course... can they be rebuilt, etc? anyone have personal experiences with these?

thanks,

=brett=
1. The DMS 40 and 50's are meant for street use, and the 60mm's are for rally/off-road use.

2. In order for the GC DMS suspension to work with the GD car, you'll need the tophat conversion (I believe that's a DMS part). And if I recall correctly, the front spring rates are very similar, if not the same, but the rears differ by 50 or so? (I believe the fronts are around 220, and the GC rears are around 270) If that's the case, you'll need to swap rear springs, to compensate for the drop.

3. I wouldn't recommend used 40's. They've had mucho problems (do a search), and need rebuilding often - the 50's, however, are much higher quality and obviously, much beefier.

I have a set of 50mm Gold's for GC8 for sale, brand new.

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail or call.

-Kym
714.545.5679 tel./fax
[email protected]
Aerosim Research Ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:08 AM   #3
Concillian
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4414
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

DMS probably won't recommend the 40s for rallyx use, but people have used them at rallyx, and I've never heard of a problem from that. 50s are a staple for subarus in rally competition on a budget.

As far as I know, the only difference is that on the GCs they come with 225F / 180R and on the GD/GG they come 180F / 180R spring rates. Just like other struts originally designed for the GC but put on the GD, they will ahve lots and lots of negative camber on the GD, that tells me these were really made for the GC. They should physically fit the GC better than the GD. You can use your stock tophats on GC, but DMS reccommends the STi mounts.

Rebuilding the 40s, when you take into account all costs involved including shipping, is almost the same cost as much as full strut replacement for AGXs or konis. There have been a number of issues, see my thread on mine after 5000+ miles (now 6000+) rebuilt 40s. It's been less than a week since it was on the front page of this forum. There is feedback from a couple others and from the two north american service centers in that thread. That info should prove quite useful.

Last edited by Concillian; 12-10-2003 at 01:24 AM.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 10:39 PM   #4
evorev
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 39836
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
95 subie L
maroon & mud

thanks for the advice...

I did actually read your thread on that, but it didn't actually answer my specific question... I think that I'm probably going to get some AGX/springs in the near future. Coilovers sound like an awesome idea, but since i'm on a budget they're probably not for me.

thanks again!

=brett=
evorev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 09:56 AM   #5
Bigspin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 24786

Quote:
DMS probably won't recommend the 40s for rallyx use, but people have used them at rallyx, and I've never heard of a problem from that. 50s are a staple for subarus in rally competition on a budget.
Just a note:
We have WORLD RALLY TEAMS USING 50mm... they have all the budget in the world and still prefer them over many other setups.

The 60mm is really only used in RALLIES WERE TEMPERATURES EXCEED 70. C ON THE STRUT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS (40+ MILE STAGES)... TURKEY, ACROPOLIS,ETC. (not normally in North America)

40mm STREET - autocross, solo, etc
50mm COMPETITION ... it is quite harsh for street use, but the STREET application I would recommend for anyone wanting to compete in RALLY x, but with a dailey driver .... a comprimise.

SPRING RATES .... 225 front 180 REAR FOR ALL WRX or GC applications 40mm and 50mm street from FACTORY....

Any other rate than that has been specified by the vendor that ordered it.

Regards,
Mark

www.dmsnorthamerica.com
Bigspin is offline   Reply With Quote