Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Classifieds > Private 'For Sale' Classifieds > Suspension/Brakes/Handling

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
mrcoder
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 93785
Vehicle:
2005 STI
White

Default FS: NJ - Subaru OEM Self Locking Nuts - New

These are individually packaged Subaru Self Locking Nut.

These nuts are in the original unopened Subaru packaging and they are genuine factory.

STIs, WRXs, 2.5s come with these nuts on the bolts on the tops of the strut, and on the camber adjustment bolts, and on the swaybar links.

You are supposed to tighten these nuts one time.

The nuts are garbage when you take them off.

OK sure you can try to reuse your original nuts but here is what happens if you reuse your original self locking nuts:

A - You will probably overtorque and stretch your bolts. Most people seem to do this. I don't know why though because the nuts are cheaper than those bolts.

B - You will apply correct torque and "somehow" the nuts will come loose anyway and you will be back to the alighment shop to chase down your continuing problems with your camber and toe. You will blame the shop. The shop will blame the car. The truth is you must blame yourself for reusing nuts which are NOT MEANT TO BE REUSED.

Buy some new self locking nuts. Save yourself the headaches of chasing down your suspension problems repeatedly which keep "mysteriously" coming back after you adjust or upgrade the Impreza suspension including STI and WRX and 2.5.

The nuts are hard to find at subaru dealers in central NJ, and they quoted me 7.49 per nut when preordered !

I charge 2.99 per nut

I do not require preorder. I have them in stock ready to ship.

There are about 5 self locking nuts on each front strut, and I don't know how many on each rear strut. Plus the links on the swaybars have these nuts.

If you do any of the following, you need new self-locking nuts:

- Sway bar upgrades
- Link (for sway bar) upgrades
- Camber adjustments such as more negative front camber (ie., performance camber adjustment)
- Toe adjustments
- Spring upgrades

How many people are really not going to upgrade your suspension or improve the suspension adjustments??

$2.99 per self locking nut in OEM Subaru packaging.

Dealers I talked to will charge you DOUBLE that amount, if they even have any on hand.
mrcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
mrcoder
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 93785
Vehicle:
2005 STI
White

Default Update: Not for 2005 STI front camber bolt

I'll request S&H of $5.00 flat rate inside 48 states continental USA, this price includes insurance also, for any amount of the nuts up to 20 per order.

But first --

I want to relay some new info before you buy some of these nuts, full disclosure here.

I found out first hand yesterday while my local shop was adjusting my own 2005 STI camber. Today I am going to post this correction to my forum thread.

There is actually a bigger 19mm nut on the camber bolt of the 2005 STI. The subaru self locking nuts I am selling are not 19mm, which means they do *not* fit the front camber bolt of the 2005 STI.

The subaru factory manual I was referencing is a real subaru manual, but the manual did not have the correct information for my 2005 STI front camber bolt for some reason. I know this for a fact. I would attach the manual right here for you but this forum does not let me use attachments for some reason.

Now, regarding the bolts other than the front camber adjuster bolt:

These Subaru Self Locking Nuts are still the correct Subaru spec part to fit on the bolts on the strut tops of the 2005 STI, and i am going to guess also WRX and all Imprezas but I don't know this for a fact.

It is known in the community that Subaru used pretty soft metal bolts on the strut tops, and so fresh factory self locking nuts are still important to use on these bolts so the factory bolts don't get stripped. These nuts are throw away items, but in contrast the bolts they mate to are not something you want to strip.

This means these Subaru Self Locking nuts are correct fit and recommended to be replaced with new nuts, when you add a front tower bar or rear tower bar to the struts for example on the STI plus the WRX and other Imprezas as well to my understanding.

So there are still many important uses and I think most people who upgrade a suby will need to keep on hand some of these factory self locking nuts.
mrcoder is offline   Reply With Quote